Clarity

• 1.  BROWSE-ONLY NSQL construct / parameterised lookup

Posted Feb 23, 2011 12:25 PM
    Bit of a long-shot, but does anyone know when (if?) the "[font=Courier New]@BROWSE-ONLY:[font]" construct was "stable" in the various Clarity versions?

I know what it is meant to do (and how to use it), it is just that in my 8.1 FP3 system, it does not appear to be working "as advertised"...

It doesn't throw an error or anything, it just appears to always apply the code within the [font=Courier New]@BROWSE-ONLY: :BROWSE-ONLY@[font] markers even when I am not in "browse" mode.

The functionality is not documented in v8.1 (but there is a TEC note saying this is a documentation error TEC440235 i.e. that its missing in the documentation). It is used in a number of stock Clarity lookups at v8.1.

--

I'm trying to use it in a custom parameterised lookup I'm associating with my TASK and ASSIGNMENT object.

Perhaps there is a problem with it working in conjunction with parameterised lookups in v8.1.... I'll investigate that......

• 2.  RE: BROWSE-ONLY NSQL construct / parameterised lookup
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 24, 2011 07:01 AM
    OK further investigation appears to say that what I'm trying to do just does not work :sad

--

I create a lookup with a BROWSE-ONLY condition

I create another lookup with the same NSQL as the first but also with a parameter value - and the parameter value check is part of my browse-only logic

I create a new attribute against an object associated with the first lookup

and another new attribute associated with the second lookup - mapping the parameter to the object

--

I then populate (on the database) the same value into both new attributes; choosing a value that I know is returned by my lookup(s) when I exclude the logic in my browse-only.

--

I look at my object instance in Clarity : for the (non-parametrised) attribute/lookup teh value is displayed, for the parametrised one it is not (value is just blank) :angry:

I SQLTRACE my sessions; I can see that the SQL generated when I display my object instance page for the non-parameterised attrbute exludes the browse-only condition (CORRECT!), but for the parametrised attribute it does not. :wacko:

--

I have tried this on [color=#FF0606]8.1[color] and [color=#FF0606]12.1[color] - same results.

I'll have to build my screen differently then. :sad

• 3.  RE: BROWSE-ONLY NSQL construct / parameterised lookup

Posted May 06, 2014 07:06 AM

Hi Dave,

I had almost exactly the same requirements and tried the same in v13.0.1 with Oracle DB. The results are the same. It shows in LIST view but not in EDIT views :(

Link: Only BROWSE-ONLY values get displayed in EDIT views

Thanks,

Georgy