Clarity

• 1.  Colors on a graph portlet

Posted Mar 09, 2011 11:21 PM
    Hi,

Can anyone share the information on how to control/manage the colors that Clarity uses for graph portlets?

Regards,
    Akhil

• 2.  RE: Colors on a graph portlet

Posted Mar 10, 2011 03:39 AM
    I wrote in another thread which you have already posted in....
    For GRAPH portlets, the colour palette is in the admin tool under General Settings / System Options / Other [Color Palette].
    :unsure:

• 3.  RE: Colors on a graph portlet

Posted Mar 10, 2011 07:47 PM
    Thanks Dave. I am across the palette option at a system level. But is there a way to manage the colors on a specific portlet.
    E.g. if I have a pie graph for example showing user status (Active/Locked/Inactive etc), is there a way to specify that the Active should be green, Inactive yellow and Locked red. Sorry but I am new to graph portlets and not sure if this is possible or not.
    I did try 'Use Consistent Graph Colors' option, and tried out a couple of things in the portlet but could not make it work.

Rgds,
    Akhil

• 4.  RE: Colors on a graph portlet
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 11, 2011 04:05 AM
    Pie charts : the colour assigned (from that palette) is controlled by the 'order' your metric comes out in the pie chart If you want consistant colouring then you need to ensure that your metics all come out in the same order (every time) - i.e. even with the metic (count) is zero you must still return in in the SQL (even though it does not get displayed in the pie.

Same goes for column / bar charts - you need consistant ordering of your metics (and providing zero values) to get consistant colouring (which is again defined in that palette).

Bubble charts are a bit different, you can define a display mapping for a bubble colour; see THIS GREAT THREAD for a whole load of detail on bubble charts.

• 5.  RE: Colors on a graph portlet

Posted Mar 13, 2011 08:38 PM
    Great, Thanks Dave.

Rgds, Akhil

• 6.  RE: Colors on a graph portlet

Posted May 17, 2012 06:27 AM
    Hi Dave,

Yes we wanted to change the default colors and this Color Palette thing is completely new to us...thanks a lot.

Georgy

• 7.  RE: Colors on a graph portlet

Posted May 17, 2012 08:23 AM
    Apart from the technical issues of how to make the colours consistent there is also the related issue of how to make sure that your users seem them that way. About 5% of a typical Clarity user base will have some sort of colorblindness (higher if you have lots of men). Normally this will be a red/green deficiency. If your Clarity user base is hundreds of people then this number starts to become significant from a design perspective.

On this page you can see a recommended colour palette designed to allow both normal vision and colourblind people to differentiate between 10 different colours
    http://safecolours.rigdenage.com/colourchoice.html (and here with HEX values: http://safecolours.rigdenage.com/Comp10.jpg)

You also need to consider how many different values you are asking your audience to differentiate by colour alone (10 would be a LOT). Keep this number small.