Clarity

• 1.  Read Accented Characters in GEL script

Posted Mar 31, 2011 03:17 AM
    Hi All,

We have a GEL script that is reading data from a CSV file to XOG resource records to CA Clarity. The GEL Process reads data from CSV and stores it in a staging table. GEL further processes the records from staging table to XOG them into Clarity System.

This CSV file has a resource with an accented character in its name - "é". The GEL process that is reading this data is interpreting the character as "?". The direct DB update (to staging table, not CA Tables :bashful: ) or even manual update via CA Clarity works fine.

Can a GEL process read special characters such as "é" or does it need any special coding/configuration?

We are using the below code to read CSV file stored on a shared drive from Clarity App Server:

<core:catch var="errorVar">

<f:readFile commentIndicator="#" delimiter="," embedded="false" fileName="${v_Tabseparatedfile}" var="input"/>
    </core:catch>

${v_Tabseparatedfile} is the variable storing an absolute path of CSV file.

Appreciate any help regarding this issue.

Thanks
    ~Dev

• 2.  RE: Read Accented Characters in GEL script
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 31, 2011 03:27 AM
    Your CSV file needs to be UTF-8, which it probably isn't if you exported it from excel. Excel uses WIN-1252 encoding, as do most other windows applications, but Clarity insists on UTF-8.

Personally I have a custom jelly tag for converting files to UTF-8 so this stopped being a problem for me a long time ago, but I remember it being a right proper pain in the ***. Good luck.

• 3.  RE: Read Accented Characters in GEL script

Posted Mar 31, 2011 03:43 AM
    Mark,

Thanks for your response.

How do we convert the file to UTF-8? If possible, could you direct me how to achieve it or share your code please? :*)

Thanks once again!

~Dev

• 4.  Re: RE: Read Accented Characters in GEL script

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 03, 2016 03:06 AM

5 years ago. I wonder, did you ever get the piece of code to convert Excel CSV to UTF-8 ?

I have the same problem.

• 5.  Re: Read Accented Characters in GEL script

Posted Mar 03, 2016 03:44 AM

If you do not have to use the created csv file directly you could open it in eg notepad and save as with UTF-8 encoding.

• 6.  Re: Read Accented Characters in GEL script

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 04, 2016 04:34 AM

Yes, that is our current workaround, but we have to avoid manual intervention.

But it seems the only solution is using the java.io.* library.

I would just have assumed, since Clarity only accepts utf-8, that there would have been a gel implementation to convert file encodings.