Clarity

• 1.  Server Synchronization

Posted Apr 27, 2011 09:39 AM
    Dear all

We are on 12.1, and lately, we have observed that changes made are not distributed to all servers.

Basicall, we have 2 servers, with 5 apps each and different ports (server a:80; serverb:80; server a:81; serverb:81).

We've observed the following -
    1. When I login to either of the two - server a:80; serverb:80, I am redirected to the original URL for the appln
    2. When I make the changes in the GUI (logging to Clarity using the generic URL), changes are reflected in only one of the servers, and not in the other.

Has anyone experienced it before ?

Is there a way to tackle this (apart from restarting the apps) ?

A quick response would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    NJ

• 2.  RE: Server Synchronization
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 27, 2011 09:49 AM
    The APP servers should all talk to each other with regard to changes made in the GUI (and I assume you mean configuration changes).

But this relies on the underlying communication working correctly on your machines (all to do with "multicast" and "jgroups" I believe!)

--

Restarting the services OR flushing the caches OR forcing a refresh on the "other" server (eg going into an object view and making a 'non-change' forces a refresh from the DB ) seem to be the "manual" workaround for the server not talking to each other correctly (at least the workarounds that work for me because my multicast has never worked)

?

• 3.  RE: Server Synchronization

Posted Apr 27, 2011 09:59 AM
    "The APP servers should all talk to each other with regard to changes made in the GUI (and I assume you mean configuration changes)."

Yes, I am talking abt the configuration changes.

So, the question is - what might be wrong ? or is there a way to make sure that the changes are distributed correctly ?

Regards
    NJ

• 4.  RE: Server Synchronization

Posted Apr 27, 2011 10:03 AM

navzjoshi00 wrote:

"So, the question is - what might be wrong ?

Dave wrote:

But this relies on the underlying communication working correctly on your machines (all to do with "multicast" and "jgroups")
    So something is wrong there then.

• 5.  RE: Server Synchronization

Posted Apr 27, 2011 10:20 AM
    We have a similar problem with configuration changes like UI Themes. We have 2 servers for each environment (Prod and UAT). I've changed the Theme on UAT to Green yet some users still see the original Blue when logging into UAT. We have not had any issues with users not seeing changes made to screen configs - additional fields or sections - only seems to be the Clarity basics that are not shared across the servers.

• 6.  RE: Server Synchronization

Posted Apr 29, 2011 01:34 AM
    Right, and that's what I cannot get my head around on.
    The wierd fact is that we never faced this in 8x.
    Dunno what has gone wrong in 12x.

Regards
    NJ

• 7.  RE: Server Synchronization

Posted Sep 22, 2011 03:08 PM
    Hi Nj,

Did you ever get an answer to this one? If you were able to resolve please post the resolution and mark as Accepted Solution.

Thanks!
    Chris

• 8.  RE: Server Synchronization

Posted Sep 12, 2011 04:52 PM
    Did you ever figure this out. I'm sorry I can't see to subscribe to just this part of the thread that has the UI Theme caper.

I know that it can have to do with partitions and that if you are working with different partitions you can't necessarily expect to see in one that you do on the other.

I'm still trying to track down the particulars.

~Dana

• 9.  RE: Server Synchronization

Posted Oct 13, 2011 04:26 PM
    Hi There,

I tracked down a UI not showing issue and it has been published in TEC556183. I do not know if it is pertinent to your situation but here it is:

Document ID: TEC556183
    Tech Document
    Title: Clarity: UI Theme Not Changing Color or Change Cannot Be Seen

Description:

'When the UI Theme color is changed and apply is selected the color does not change. We are now on Clarity 12.1.1. Under Admin the color works perfect, but under my ID the color will not change. It is not a permissions issue for I have all rights under my clarity id. '

This can be true for Partitioned customers. If Partitioned customers are trying to change the UI Theme in the prescribed method as in the guides it will not necessarily work as expected. Partitioned customers who experience the problem of changing the UI and then not seeing the change are the target group for this article. They must use an alternative to the regular UI Theme change instructions documented, which tell them to go to the Clarity Studio Admin side of the application, click UI Themes, change and click Apply. This sometimes does not work for Partitioned customers working in a Partition other than the system default.

Solution:

The documentation does not provide details on how to apply UI Themes when an implementation is using Partition Models.
    Use the following steps as a guideline to apply UI Themes.

STEPS TO IMPLEMENT:
    Login to Clarity as an administrator

Admin Tool > Studio: Partition Model

Open the Partition Model > Partitions Tab

Select a UI Theme such as Orange

Click 'Save' button

Log Out

Login to Clarity as a user with access rights to objects that are associated to the Partition Unit

The UI Theme color change can now be seen

• 10.  RE: Server Synchronization

Posted Oct 19, 2011 08:05 PM
    Thanks Dana!

NJ - Does this information help you resolve? If so pplease mark post as Accepted Solution.

Thanks!
    Chris