Clarity

• 1.  Project baseline - missing start/finish dates

Posted May 04, 2011 09:33 AM
    Quick question;

Does anyone know what causes the situation where a project baseline has a missing (i.e. null) start and finish date (when it clearly should have some real dates in those fields)?

--

Details:

So I have a couple of projects, which have baselines (with a whole bunch of baselined tasks), but when I go to the "Baselines" page in the GUI it has a blank start and finish date. i.e. PRJ_BASELINE_DETAILS.START_DATE and FINISH_DATE are NULL for the object_type = 'PROJECT'.

This causes an Error-500 in the project WBS screen for a project which is a parent project of the errant project - now I know how to find my bad data, and I know how to fix it (just re-take the baseline), but I don't know what causes the problem in the first place.

Its not widespread - I'm on 8.1 with a few thousand projects and only ~50 are in this state; its possible that they the majority are projects that have been around since v7.5.1/7.5.3 although some of the baselines have definitely been taken since we were on 8.1.

--

I've tried the KB etc but can't see anything immediately obvious so I thought I'd try the "hive mind" :grin:

• 2.  RE: Project baseline - missing start/finish dates
    Best Answer

Posted May 04, 2011 04:09 PM
    Could it be that the projects have not been baselined just tasks?
    Is there other baseline data at project level?

Martti K.

• 3.  RE: Project baseline - missing start/finish dates

Posted Nov 10, 2011 01:23 PM
    You may have solved this by now but I just worked with a PM who was having the same trouble and we used the "Update Baseline" for his key tasks only and that worked. I added the columns "Baseline Start" and "Baseline Finish" to my task list and they went from being blank before the update to populated after the update. I think that what happened was when the task was created in MSP it was marked as a milestone and so it didn't get a start date so when he Baselined there was nothing for that field to use. I could be off but our testing seemed to point in that direction...

Cheers,

R

• 4.  RE: Project baseline - missing start/finish dates

Posted Nov 10, 2011 10:29 PM
    It turned out it was along the lines of Martti's comment; but we did find that if we set the baseline (at project level) in Clarity, and then did some baseline maintenance to tasks in OWB, then we got the 'problem'.

FWIW I still reckon there are features (bugs) with all this, but we know the workaround so its less of an issue for us now. :sad