Clarity

• 1.  XOG client on a 64 bit server

Posted May 05, 2011 04:48 PM
    Had a hard time to get r8.1SP5 XOG client to work on a 64 bit server which is not Clarity app server but needed for integration.
    After installing jre and setting the path to it so that java -version returned proper vesion from ..\xog\bin got class not found.
    That was solved with classpath.
    Because there is no Clarity there is no JAVA_HOME nor NIKU_HOME

Is that related to spaces in the path of either jre or XOG?
    See post
    Command Line Error when Restarting Services
    by Josh

On my 64 bit lap top I don't have clarity jre is on a path with spaces (though 1.6) , XOG on a path with no spaces and no CLASSPATH.
    Is that different between server and workstation OS?

Is XOG client supported to run on 64 bit WIndows?

Martti K.

• 2.  RE: XOG client on a 64 bit server

Posted May 06, 2011 05:41 AM
    OK, I don't really know what I'm talking about here (with regard to Java versions, 32/.64 bit etc) but....

The 8.1 PAS specifically states 32bit servers for the APP server; you are not talking about the Clarity APP server though, you are talking about abother server installing the XOG client...

However the PAS does mention that the APP servers are using the underlying 32 bit version of the JDK.

Since the XOG client (on your other server) is also needing to use Java, perhaps there is the same restriction...? (but it just not documented very well (at all?))

Do CA Support say anything about this?

--

Looking at your problem a different way; do you NEED to use the CA XOG client on your "other server"? - you should be able to use any client that can send the HTTP/SOAP request to the Clarity server. (The CA provided XOG client is just a convenient way of doing this; by no means the only way)

?

• 3.  RE: XOG client on a 64 bit server

Posted May 06, 2011 02:29 PM
    Thanks Dave.

Isn't XOG client a client program? The 8.1SP5 PAS says any version of Vista which could mean also 64 bit.
    If you recall the discussion during last Dev Exchange 2009 that some organizations do give consultants access to all of the system.
    During that a comment was made that you are not supposed to install XOG client on the Clarity app server.

The reason for wanting to install XOG client on the db server is that there is another db on the same server and the integration data transfer is smoother if there is no network traffic created.

One thing which I did not mention was that we decided to download and install 32 bit jre 1.5.0_22 because the file for 64 bit had amd in the filename and we have Intel.

We specified the install path for the XOG client to ..\Program files as it had been on the old 32 bit server to be replaced with the new one. However, after the install we found it in ..\Program (x86) files.
    Running it from either location gave the same result until the CLASSPATH was set.

Martti K.