Clarity

• 1.  The time periods requested do not exist...

Posted May 06, 2011 08:48 AM
    Hi.

I'm trying to understand how works the portlet : "Resource Workloads" in the Resource Planning.
    Changing the 'time-scaled value' parameters I got the message : "The time periods requested do not exist. Review the column's Time Scale settings."
    ok. I guess this is due to the "Time slices" definition in the Data Administration.

How do I know which time slice definition is used to display my missing values in this Workload screen ?
    Am I able to change some (to have more periods or to have old ones) ? how ?

Thanks for help.
    Fred

• 2.  RE: The time periods requested do not exist...
    Best Answer

Posted May 06, 2011 09:30 AM

Gaerel_F wrote:

I guess this is due to the "Time slices" definition in the Data Administration.
    "Time slices" : yes
    But NOT the timeslices that you can affect in the supported Data Administration settings

Gaerel_F wrote:

How do I know which time slice definition is used to display my missing values in this Workload screen ?
    That is a little tricky to answer, because it depends up what columns you have configured to display in the portlet. The slices are the "hidden" slices (also sometimes called insta-slices since they are processes instantly by the GUI as well as the TimeSlicing job). Select back the data from the PRJ_BLB_SLICEREQUESTS table and look at the slices marked as "synchronous" - these are the slices that drive the GUI screens.

Gaerel_F wrote:

Am I able to change some (to have more periods or to have old ones) ?
    Changing the config of these slices is easy to do, but is NOT supported by CA, you need to be talking to CA Support / raising customisation requests to be changing the values of the "hidden" slices.

• 3.  RE: The time periods requested do not exist...

Posted Mar 06, 2014 10:41 AM

Dave... (smileyyessad)

I'm encountering the same question here in v.13.1.  Appears that it is still not possible to configure for extending the available time periods for the OOTB portlets?

• 4.  RE: The time periods requested do not exist...

Posted Mar 06, 2014 11:10 AM

Yeah AFAIK, all the stock-portlets which display time-scaled data all use the system-slices (which we are not meant to amend).  frown

Not sure what to recommend ; whether you extend the system slice definitions (nned to talk to CA support to "allow" this) or buld custom portlets which will then can custom slices which you can affect in a supported manner (subject to the usual "don't kill your database by defining wide-ranging custom slices" caveat).

• 5.  RE: The time periods requested do not exist...

Posted Mar 06, 2014 11:23 AM

One way to look at that is that in encourages you limit the scope and granularity of you planning and reporting:

If you want to look at something which a year away, do you really need to look at it a daily level. Can't you just do with montly or year ly veiw and if it is looking are reporting a year back then aren't you a little bit late with your reporting - you should have reported ages ago so that any action you take can still steer the future. If you need the reports for one reason or another then you can store the reports and not all of your data.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: The time periods requested do not exist...

Posted Mar 06, 2014 07:36 PM

There are a coule of KB for this:

TEC491657 and TEC439086

• 7.  RE: The time periods requested do not exist...

Posted Mar 07, 2014 07:58 AM

Great information. Good advice, too, Martti, to govern at one level higher than planning.  And for a meaningful forecasting period.   One of the leading thinkers here called the alternative "an illusion of precision". And likely an illusion of control. I will construct portlets to meet the site requirements in this case. Yet it is clear that Clarity has been designed with best practices in mind. And when sites customize in contradiction to those designs it leads to the unpredicted and undesired behaviors that you see here in this forum.  (ps: Thank goodness for you, Connie, Dave, Martti, et.al. You folks are Community Treasures). 

• 8.  RE: The time periods requested do not exist...

Posted May 05, 2014 05:03 PM

Hi, is there pre defined max number of periods can be displayed per period type OOTB?

thanks!

• 9.  RE: The time periods requested do not exist...

Posted May 05, 2014 06:04 PM

Yes it is described in kb TEC439086

• 10.  RE: The time periods requested do not exist...

Posted May 05, 2014 06:08 PM

Thank you Connie!! i saw the doc and it was last updated in 2004. I was thinking it might have changed :-)