AnsweredAssumed Answered

MSP automatically changing task lengths issue

Question asked by Kieren.McKenna on May 19, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 6, 2011 by Kieren.McKenna
Hello
I have an issue that I am hoping the wider Clarity community may be able to assist me with. As a company we are using Clarity in conjunction with Microsoft Project to plan our projects, however we have hit the following issue.

I create a task in Clarity for 2 weeks duration.
I then assign a team member to this task - now lets assume our team members are set up with 30 hrs a week availability (6hrs a day)
Clarity sets the ETC for the team member to 60 hrs
All good so far
I then know that this task is actually only 12 hrs work but the team member will not be working full time so I change the ETC to be 12 hrs but leave the duration of the task to still be 60hr i.e. the team member is working at 20% over the two weeks to get the task done.

When I now open this project in MSP then before I get a chance to do anything MSP reschedules the task to be just 2 days in duration and sets the Units to be 100% for the resource ignoring the dates I have set in Clarity.

Is there anyway around this. In effect I am asking if I can stop MSP automatically performing this calculation or if it must calculate then it sets the Units rather than changing the start and end dates of tasks.

Any advice appreciated. I have raised this as a support case with CA but thought to ask here to see if others have experienced this issue. We have a workaround in that you always create tasks and set the units in MSP first but this is open to error if someone creates the tasks in Clarity first.

Many Thanks

Outcomes