Clarity

• 1.  Sharing Portlets and customisations with the community

Posted Jun 15, 2011 06:17 PM
    Hi all,

we are about to embark on the development of a series of useful portlets for our new Clarity 12.1 implementation.
    I'll be looking through the out-of-the-box ones, but also defining some new ones where the requirements dictate.

I was wondering ig anyone has thought of starting a thread on this forum for sharing portlets (I guess it would be XML/XOG code and screenshots)
    There is a lot of talent on these forums, so would be good to share such things with the community.
    Could also save people re-inventing the wheel and wasting time.

My requirements will be around resource management, Change Management and maybe a bit around programs
    If anyone has any good portlets they would like to share, jump in.
    If not, I will endeavour to share any that I create which I think would be useful to others

Regards,
    Matt

• 2.  RE: Sharing Portlets and customisations with the community

Posted Jun 20, 2011 07:53 PM
    Hi Matt,

This sounds like a very good idea. I know various members have discussed similar before. If there are members also interested please weigh in here. I would say you should contact the board that runs this community to see what ideas they have around this. You can reach them by contacting Karen the president. Her email link is on the Welcome message screen. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Regards,
    Chris

• 3.  RE: Sharing Portlets and customisations with the community

Posted Jun 21, 2011 10:00 PM
    Seems to be a good idea ... I had thought of that before as well, but wasn't too sure if anyone would be willing to share report / portlet code (any enhancements that have been done) ... :*)

Regards
    NJ

• 4.  RE: Sharing Portlets and customisations with the community

Posted Jun 22, 2011 01:50 PM
    That came up more than once on the old forum, but at the time it was not really a convenient way to upload anything.

How about creating a category for that and see if it takes off.

Martti K.

• 5.  RE: Sharing Portlets and customisations with the community

Posted Jun 23, 2011 01:29 AM
    IMHO while considering this the lessons learned from past sites are
    Old Niku/Clarity forum:
    When the Forum system was renewed the some 5000 posts were made into a single file +
    The file can't be searched at the same time as the current forum -
    There is a number of attachments which compliment the official documents in a manner the users prefer +
    The attachment are scattered and there is no way of getting a hlostici view of what is covered -

Old OWB site:
    Years of experience in thousands of posts and attached images mostly in areas not covered in documentation +
    Everything lost forever when the system was renewed -

The latest OWB site:
    More recent experience in a couple of thousand of posts and attached images mostly in areas not covered in documentation +
    Everything lost forever when the system was abandoned -

The track record is that anything posted or attached to the forum is some day going to be gone beyond recovery.

Still an organized categorycollecting portlets would be an improvement.

Likewise another category for user documentation would be good. That should be managed by the forum master for qualified attachments with no direct uploads.
    Those who don't like that approach can upload their docs on other blogs and sites complementing the forum.

Martti K.

• 6.  RE: Sharing Portlets and customisations with the community

Posted Jun 23, 2011 02:56 AM
    We can have different sections for sharing -

1. Portlets - sub sections identifying the modules that are being targetted

2. Reports - sub sections identifying the modules that are being targetted

3. XMLs - sub sections identifying the modules that are being targetted

4. Miscellaneous - Any customizations that the users think might help - sub sections identifying the modules that are being targetted

Again, as Martti said "That should be managed by the forum master for qualified attachments with no direct uploads. Those who don't like that approach can upload their docs on other blogs and sites complementing the forum"

Regards
    NJ

• 7.  RE: Sharing Portlets and customisations with the community

Posted Jul 12, 2011 12:43 AM
    Glad you are all up for the idea.

Who do we need to get in touch with to arrange for the categories?

Matt

• 8.  RE: Sharing Portlets and customisations with the community

Posted Jul 12, 2011 08:58 PM
    See the second post in this thread. That is from Chris, though I would have thought he has the authority and makes the decisions.
    You could also post this as an idea to get more publicity.

Martti K.