Plex 2E

• 1.  Comparing two levels

Posted Aug 07, 2009 12:17 PM
    Has anybody ever tried to compare two level in Plex to find out what changed in a given level?  How did you do it?  Thanks!Charles

• 2.  Re: Comparing two levels

Posted Aug 07, 2009 10:22 PM
    Hi CharlesI haven ´t tested it, but it is possible. You can make a report by means of model api resources,   or querying the model by metaoperations (there are examples on our forums or Plex Help files). I don ´t have anyone at hand right now, but will do a try...It requires two steps: configuring your model at both versions/levels, and making a report for each one. It is a "paper oriented" solution, but I belive there is no way to compare both at same time.KindlyJorge Ubeda

• 3.  Re: Comparing two levels

Posted Aug 11, 2009 11:57 AM
    Thanks Jorge,  What I was hoping is that somebody had perhaps put together a utility that used the Plex APIs to compare the levels.  Charles  

• 4.  Re: Comparing two levels

Posted Aug 11, 2009 11:19 PM
    >>What I was hoping is that somebody had perhaps put together a utility that used the Plex APIs to compare the levels.>>Good idea for next weeks...Jorge

• 5.  Re: Comparing two levels

Posted Aug 09, 2009 07:13 AM
    Charles -  One thing you can do is export the action diagrams to text at both levels, and use a standard versioning source compare tool (MKS Source, subversion, windiff, etc.) to find the differences. We use this during version upgrades. The advantages of using this technique over the model API's is that it does not require programming. Disadvantages are that it only analyzes the action  diagram, not panels or triples.

• 6.  Re: Comparing two levels

Posted Aug 11, 2009 11:56 AM
    Thanks John,  I consdiered this, but we're actually still on 5.5SP1 (although I do have 6.1 installed so could work on a temp copy of the local model)  But what I'm really looking for is a way to see all chages for a level.   Including truples (panels would be nice).  Also, I'm afriad of what it would take to export all the AD for our entire model, twice;   once for each level I'm interested in.  Charles

• 7.  Re: Comparing two levels

Posted Aug 11, 2009 12:22 PM
    Charles -  The AD export to text works at 5.5 and some versions below I think. And it doesn't take that long - unlike an XML export - which can take many hours.  However, I completely understand what you want. Hopefully someone will develop this. We have some technology there around 2E migration, but not specifically a comparison utility.