ESP Workload Automation

• 1.  Problems invoking REXX through scheduled event.

Posted Feb 29, 2008 06:22 AM
    Hello,[left]  [left] I'm having problems invoking an application with a simple REXX script, but only when it is scheduled through an event in ESP.   We are using ESP version 5.4 currently.[left]  [left] The kicker is, everything works as expected when I trigger the event manually.[left]  [left] The application looks like this:[left]  [left] APPL V5272SLA                                              
     JCLLIB OPS.EXEC.JCL                                
     DOCLIB VNDS.JOBTRAC.MEJRPLEX.DOCLIB

REXXON GEN                                                
        J=JOBONCSF('V5272','X')                    
        DO I = 1 TO J                                        
          IF XAPPL.I = 'DSTRIG' THEN "QUIT"
        END                                                            
      REXXOFF                                                      

JOB V5272.LATE LINK PROCESS                  
     RUN ANYDAY                                                  
     DUEOUT INPUT 17:00                                  
     EARLYSUB 17:01                                          
     NOTIFY OVERDUE MAILBOX(SKAPLA)          
    ENDJOB                                                            [left]  [left]  [left] Essentially, I only want the link process to run when a job V5272 in application DSTRIG does NOT exist on the CSF.   This is designed to alert someone if a dataset triggered job does not kick off by 5pm.   The dataset triggered job itself has its definition built dynamically, so it's not possible to track it there.   Instead, I'm trying to trigger this application at 5pm, which creates a link process (only if the monitored job does not exist on CSF).   It intentionally falls overdue and sends out a notification.[left]  [left] The error I am getting is an incorrect function call for JOBONCSF.   Again, this only happens when the event is called through the schedule statement.   If I trigger it manually, everything works as expected.[left]  [left] ESP_2578I MESSAGE FROM EVENT ESP.V5272SLA                                        
            1 +++ J=JOBONCSF('V5272','X')                                                      
    IRX0040I Error running exec, line 1: Incorrect call to routine
    IRX0040I Error running exec, line 1: Incorrect call to routine
    ***[left]  [left] Does anyone have any ideas, why this would happen, or what can be done to correct it?   I'm open to other ways of doing this as well.[left]  [left] Thank you.[left]  [left]

• 2.  Re: Problems invoking REXX through scheduled event.

Posted Jul 24, 2009 09:29 AM
    Have you tried replacing REXXON GEN   With REXXON PROC      

• 3.  RE: Problems invoking REXX through scheduled event.

Posted Nov 18, 2013 05:59 PM

DATE conversion requires that the input_date conforms exactly to one of      
     the syntax forms that could have been output by the DATE function. For       
     example, the following invocations of DATE would fail. The incorrect         
     specification of input_date in each case would result in the same error      
     message, IRX0040I.                                                           

DATE('B','7 MAY 2001')   ->  IRX0040I  (input is not mixed case)           
       DATE('B',' 7 May 2001')  ->  IRX0040I  (input has a leading blank)         
       DATE('B','07 May 2001')  ->  IRX0040I  (input has a leading zero)       

Just a thought, when doing data conversions, REXX is pretty picky.  This might be a bug in ESP..