Clarity

• 1.  Dependant lookup

Posted Jun 19, 2008 07:15 AM
    Hello all,
    i would create a dependant lookup but i have no idea of the way to proceed.
    ie: in the project object, i would like to have a lookup which will be the type of project (major, minor,...)
    I would like to have another lookup, person in charge (manager A for major project, manager B for major, manager C for minor, manager D for minor) which will depend of the first one; it means if you select 'major' i want to see on the second lookup 'manager A' and 'manager B'.
    i'll appreciate if somebody could explain me how to proceed and explain all the steps.
    kind regards from france

• 2.  Re: Dependant lookup

Posted Jun 20, 2008 10:10 AM
    Hi, In order to have dependent lookups, there should be some sort of relationship setup between values in first lookup to the values in the second lookup.(Eg:- Department-Entity relationship).  I have designed similar kind of requirement as below 1. Create two static lookups. one with values for charge and other with list of values for type.2.Create a custom object(cus_dependentlookups ) with ID, CODE, charge(linked to charge lookup), type(linked to type lookup)3.Create records with relationship between value in lookup1 to value in lookup2.(major-managera, minor-managerb, minor-managerc).4.Create a dynamic lookup as below SELECT @SELECT:a.ID:ID@, @SELECT:a.charge:charge@ FROM  cus_dependentlookups a WHERE @FILTER@  AND @WHERE:PARAM:USER_DEF:STRING:project_type_CONSTRAIN@ = a.typeAND @WHERE:PARAM:USER_DEF:STRING:project_charge_CONSTRAIN@ != a.charge  4. Go to project object and create two attributes.     -attribute1(project_type) , select datatype as lookup string and link it to a static lookup having values major, minor     -attribute2(charge) , select datatype as lookup string and link it to above created lookup. Once you click save, you will see lookup paramter mappings at the bottom. Now select project_type as object attribute id for lookup parameter project_type_CONSTRAIN 5. Now lookup2 values changes based on the values in lookup1  This is not the only solution.There might be a better one than this.   Hope this helps!!!  ThanksSivasjangala@annitek.com 

• 3.  Re: Dependant lookup

Posted Jun 23, 2008 04:00 AM
    Hi,thx a lot for your answer. I'll try and leep you inform. Regards

• 4.  RE: Re: Dependant lookup

Posted Jul 06, 2010 05:20 AM
    For which version this solution works? For 7.5.3 I tried, and not getting lookup parameter mapping for object attribute.

• 5.  RE: Re: Dependant lookup

Posted Jul 06, 2010 05:25 AM
    ^

"Parametrised" lookups (lookups that use some value from the underlying object) only came in in v8+ (i.e. NOT 7.5.3)

"Dependent" lookups (lookups within other lookups (like what we are talking about in this thread)) were available in earlier versions (at least 7.5.1)

• 6.  RE: Re: Dependant lookup

Posted Jul 06, 2010 06:31 AM
    Dave,

There is object selection for lookup in 7.5.3, what is purpose of it?

Thanks,
    -Naman.

• 7.  RE: Re: Dependant lookup

Posted Jul 06, 2010 08:02 AM
    The Clarity "Help" text (perhaps you should look at that? B) ) says its just to do with when you enter an "object" name in the creation of a dynamic query lookup. The "Help" goes on to day that this makes the query return the primary key of the object... BUT I have never used this so no idea how it works in practice.