Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

siva sai ram jangala

siva sai ram jangalaJul 07, 2008 10:41 AM

• 1.  Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Jul 07, 2008 06:24 AM
    Hi Everyone, [left] I am working on  a Clarity 8.1 system with  fp3 installed.  We have the following issue: [left]   [left] After posting the timesheets, we can observe Actual values on workbreakdown page.  BUT  in the hierarchy page Actual Cost is 0. Also  on the  project properties page the Actual Hours value is still zero.   [left] Both project and resources are financially enabled. And we have already run the following jobs:
    -post timesheet
    -post transactions to financials [left] What can be the reason? Is there any other jobs to be run to see the Actual Costs? [left]   Note that we also tried the same on the Sandbox. And the result is the same.   Regards  Cem Canbulan  ccanbulan@meteksan.com.tr    
    [left]   [left]

• 2.  Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Jul 07, 2008 10:41 AM
    Hi,Run  "Investment Allocation Job" in Clarity.  

• 3.  Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 08, 2008 09:20 AM
    Actual Costs are shown only when the transactions have been posted into the WIP.The 'Investment Allocation' will update the slices that are used to display data on the Hierarchy portlets. 

• 4.  Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Jul 09, 2008 05:42 AM
    Dear Kathryn, Thanks to your response, we can see actual cost on the hierarchy tab after defining a cost plan and using “Post to WIPâ€? functionality. But using this approach means that financial module has to be activated so that actual costs can be seen.    Is there any other way to see actual costs without defining a cost plan?    Regards, Cem  

• 5.  Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 10, 2008 06:22 AM
    Actual Costs are only calculated when using the financial module.You are not required to create a Cost Plan for reporting 'Actual' costs. 

• 6.  Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Jul 07, 2008 10:48 AM
    Hi,If actual hours is shown as 0 on project list page, then running "Investment allocation" Job in Clarity should resolve it. For actual costs on hierarchy tab  , try running "Update Hierarchy Data" Job on sandbox and see if actual costs are getting updated.        

• 7.  Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Jul 07, 2008 11:03 PM
    Hello Siva, thanks for the reply. We run these 2 jobs. After running the Investment Allocation job, we are able to see the Actual Hours. But Actual cost is stil unvisible under hierarchy tab. Is there another job to be run?    By the way, we run these jobs on Sandbox so you can check from "Fmm Test" Project from Sandbox  RegardsCem  

• 8.  RE: Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Dec 15, 2011 11:07 PM
    Hello Siva

We are facing a similar issue.

The jobs - "Investment allocation" and "Update Hierarchy Data" ran last night, but the Actual Cost is still not updated.

Is there any other job that we need to run to update that value ?

A quick response would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    NJ

• 9.  RE: Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Feb 02, 2012 01:56 PM
    Bumping this up - I'm interested in the answer too!

• 10.  RE: Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Feb 02, 2012 02:36 PM
    So everybody ran post transactions to financials and posted to WIP as well?

Martti K.

• 11.  RE: Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Feb 02, 2012 02:45 PM
    Yes. I can see my actuals posted to the individual project cost plan. I can also see the actuals if I look at the hierarchy tab on my PROGRAM. So I know they are there. But the hierarchy page on the MASTER project (I am testing programs vs. master projects to see which will work better for us) has zeros for actual cost, planned cost, etc.

I am really trying to understand WHEN you would really want to use a master project. I can see the benefits of being able to maintain a master WBS/task list, but if the actuals don't roll up, I'm struggling with what the usefulness of the master project would really be. I guess it's for projects whose COSTS are managed separately but their TASKS/SCHEDULES must coincide? And if this is the case, what does the master project provide that you couldn't achieve with project dependencies? Because it doesn't really seem that it gives you much in the way of overall visibility to multiple projects.

• 12.  RE: Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Feb 03, 2012 04:11 AM
    When you say
    the hierarchy page on the MASTER project has zeros for actual cost, planned cost, etc.
    that rings a faint bell - like a bug, but can't recall any more of that.

So for single projects it is OK for you?

Martti K.

• 13.  RE: Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Feb 03, 2012 08:44 AM
    Yes - single project is fine and the hierarchy tab on the Program is fine. I can also see the roll up of the costs in the aggregated view of the cost plan if I view it on the program. The aggregated view shows all zeros on the Master project. I will try to do some more searching in the KB and open a ticket if I don't find a resolution.

I have run the Investment Allocation job and the Update Hierarchy Data job. We are On Demand customers running 12.0.6.

Edited to add: We are using Clarity financials. All the subprojects are financially enabled and we have a rate matrix. The actuals that I am missing are not just labor actuals from timesheets but expense actuals entered as a transaction. I checked to make sure that the master project was in financial status "Open" as well, even though the actuals aren't really being posted to it - they're being posted to one of the subprojects. If I look at the "Subprojects" page (on the Project Properties tab of the Master project) then I can see the actual hours for the labor there. But the hierarchy tab is stll all zeros for costs. I even tried removing the subprojects and re-adding them then re-running the Update Hierarchy Data tab.

• 14.  RE: Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 03, 2012 09:11 AM
    Problem solved! I figured out that my issue was due to the allocation percentage that the subproject had in relation to the master project. My problem came about because I am testing programs and master projects at the same time and I had the same subproject assigned to both a program and a master project. The subproject was allocated at 100% to the program, but 0% to the master project (because the master project was set up after the program). Once I changed the percentage to 50%/50% I started to see actuals on the hierarchy tab...once I removed the subproject from the program completely the hierarchy tab on the master project was fully populated with the planned cost and actuals from the subproject.

• 15.  RE: Re: Actuals posted but Actual Cost at hierarchy page is zero.

Posted Feb 03, 2012 11:07 AM
    Good reasoning ;-)

Martti K.

• 16.  Is this really the most viewed thread?

Posted Feb 03, 2012 04:20 PM
    Is this really the most viewed thread?

Martti K.