Clarity

• 1.  Challenges with Clarity & MSP and shifts

Posted Jun 10, 2009 11:45 AM
    Not sure that this problem is unique, but I can't figure out how to address it, so I am asking for thoughts and input.  We are a global company and our resources generally work an 8 hour day - except for the UK, where they work 7 hours a day.  I've gone into  MSP to the  Options and Calendar and have set the  shift to 7 hours a day and 35 hours a week.   I saved it as my default.I launched a project from Clarity into MSP.   Automatically, it says the shift is 8 hours, instead of 7.   I went into the Options and Calendar again, and set the shift to 7 hours a day and 35 hours a week.   I saved it as my default again.   The project now shows the resource as 100% on the task and the days is 1 day in duration and the ETC is 7 hours.   Fabulous.   I then saved the project back to the Clarity database.  I then re-launched the project into MSP from Clarity.  The project still shows the work is 7 hours for the resource and the units are 100% but  the duration is now .88.   I checked the Options and Calendar and it is back to 8 to 5 and 8 hours a day and 40 hours  a week.    How do I get this fixed to handle different shifts and stick?   Any thoughts?  Ruthann  

• 2.  Re: Challenges with Clarity & MSP and shifts

Posted Jun 10, 2009 12:02 PM
    What is the Calendar setting in Clarity? Meaning, do you have just one standard calendar in Clarity set to 8 hrs? If so, Clarity manages the project calendars and I do believe the MSP default settings must match your standard Clarity calendar. If you only have one standard at 8 hrs, have you tried setting up another calendar, associating it to that resource in Clarity and then see if they sync?I might be wrong, but I do know that Clarity will drive the calendar and the settings you mention must match Clarity.Some excerpts from documentation regarding MSP and Clarity   Calendar - On the Calendar tab, click “Set as Defaultâ€? to ensure the d efault start and end time matches the shift schedule on your Clarity standard calendar.       Clarity stores and administers the application system data, as well as  “chargedâ€? project data such as actual hours reported (“actualsâ€?),  resource calendars, and cost.

• 3.  Re: Challenges with Clarity & MSP and shifts

Posted Jun 10, 2009 12:11 PM
    Ok.   That makes a lot of sense and it is in line with what I was thinking.        Our issue is that we actually have 14 different base calendars (year end is a joy for the Admins!).   Since we are global, we have to record all the holidays in the different locations for the resources so that when we run autoschedule, it works properly.   13 of the 14 base calendars are 8 hours as a standard.   In this one example the resource is a UK resource, so his calendar is automatically set to 7 hours for the shift.   The project is still coming over with 8 being the shift.    I hate to make the UK calendar the system standard as they are the not the largest group of users.  I know in OWB you can declare which calendar you want  to use to schedule off of, but we don't have that option with MSP - or did I miss that somehwere?    

• 4.  Re: Challenges with Clarity & MSP and shifts

Posted Jun 10, 2009 12:44 PM
    This is what I understand to be true and at my previous place (gloabl also) it did workThe settings in MSP for the "use as default" must match your STANDARD Clarity Calendar settings as I wrote above; however form then on Clarity owns the resource calendar and pproject calendar-- you should never modify the calendars in MSP. The settings is only the default, but as long as you have the resource pointing to the right calendar in Clarity, it should read that. (Assuming you added the team member using Clarity as well? )  If you haven't modified any calendars in MSP then you should contact support, becuase as long as the default matches the Clarity standard, it should read Clarity for the resource availablility/allocation time via the calendar.  sorry,, that is all I know :)