Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

• 1.  Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 27, 2009 09:29 AM
    How can I force the hard returns I insert into my NSQL to display in my portlets?I am using chr(13) || chr(10), but the portlet displays a couple of spaces instead.I am using version 7.5.3.Thanks...Andrea

• 2.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 29, 2009 07:29 AM
    Hi Andrea,  I am checking with someone on this.   Meanwhile any other users know?  Regards,Chris

• 3.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 29, 2009 08:43 AM
    What you trying to do?Sounds as if you are trying to work around the formatting coded in the system.  Martti K:

• 4.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 29, 2009 08:49 AM
    I am trying to push carriage returns so that the data doesn't display in one giant string.It is too hard to read.

• 5.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 29, 2009 09:07 AM
    Not sure you can do this - I suspect that the APP strips out whatever "control characters" (eg 
 chr(13) etc etc ) that you try to put in there.  The way I get around a "big block of text" is just to WRAP the column contents in my portlet (which will give you a really tall, narrow column of data which is even harder to read).....  BUT THEN also change the column heading from something like "MyColumn" to one padded out with some "." - i.e. "....................My Column........................"(NOTE padding with "spaces" doesn't work though)  Then this makes a big block of text a bit easier to read.  Not ideal, but my user's have got used to it!    Dave. Message Edited by Dave on 07-29-2009 06:07 PM [left]

• 6.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 29, 2009 09:13 AM
    Yeah...   that definitely would not fly around here.   Message Edited by AndreaMc on 07-29-2009 01:13 PM [left]

• 7.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 29, 2009 09:17 AM
      |   view attached
    Like in the attached....  (Example only has a 250char field though - you could make the ........Description.......   MUCH wider if you needed)  --  If format is REALLY important, then how about a HTML based portlet istead (but you'll have to write the HTML portlet yourself and get it to read the Clarity data somehow, its not going to be nicely tightly integrated with Clarity)  

• 8.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 29, 2009 10:41 PM
    Andrea ,     we are using this in our codes in our extracts/reports  to avoid to restrict the columns going to next columns when exported in excel.  As some users is entering lot of tabs and some funny things in the column's like project description,risk desc,issue desc and writing short stories instead of providing an clear short description.  But this works to a certain level only....      SELECT UNIQUE_NAME ,REPLACE(REPLACE( DESCRIPTION ,CHR( 10 ), '' ),CHR( 13 ), '' ) AS  DESCRIPTION FROM SRM_PROJECTS         regards,  sundar

• 9.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 30, 2009 04:56 AM
    Perhaps I am reading that code incorrectly, but wouldn't that remove carriage returns from the data?I want to force them to show.

• 10.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 30, 2009 08:21 AM
      |   view attached
    Andrea,     i completely mis-understood your Query.     i tried to build an query to check this Issue  What i have done is i have taken the description column in the srm_projects which will have lot of strings     select unique_name,name,DESCRIPTION,substr(DESCRIPTION,1,length(DESCRIPTION)/2-1) || CHR(13) || CHR(10) || substr(DESCRIPTION,length(DESCRIPTION)/2)car_return  FROM SRM_PROJECTS WHERE UNIQUE_NAME = '04-0009'     i have taken this syntax and tested in one of my custom portlet.My observations are     1.   If   the portlet List view has less columns and enough space the column(project name) shows as an single column with out any breaks but blank spaces where we have handled carriage return.  2.   If   portlet List view has columns added which exceeds the normal page limit then it works.(Pls view the snapshot enclosed).  3.   The benefit of handling carriage returns in the column is if the user has entered an big sentence with out providing any breaks then it is look like the page will extended even though          it has more columns shown in the Project List View.(Checked in Project List View)             i have tested in 7.5.2     regards,  sundar

Attachment(s)

• 11.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 30, 2009 08:40 AM
    Sundar - I don't think that you are actually seeing the Carriage Returns being displayed AS Carriage Returns in your examples in the ZIP file.  I think you are just seeing the "normal" column wrapping effects;   Clarity will not break a long "word" up to wrap the column so will only wrap at a white space (which is what your carriage returns have "become" when displayed in the portlet).  We just don't seem to be able to implement any specified line breaks, we can only control the effects of Clarity wrapping text (or not).  I think Andrea's problem remains!  :-(

• 12.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 30, 2009 09:30 AM
    Dave,  i have also mentioned in my earlier reply the carriage return is providing only an blank space in the portlet-view.Just waiting for   If   the portlet List view has less columns and enough space the column(project name) shows as an single column with out any breaks but blank spaces where we have handled carriage return.     Just waiting for CA or any user reply eagerly.     Regards,J.sundar

• 13.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 31, 2009 09:27 AM
    Dave is right.   It is just breaking at the most convenient space.    I created a large string and dumped a whack of data in it.   On the view, it displayed with all the breaks intact.However, when I viewed it in a portlet, the breaks were gone, leaving a huge matzoh ball of unbroken text.   Blech!!

• 14.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 31, 2009 12:42 PM
    If the application can't do it for you, can you do it for the application?Use db functions to split the string, create dummy records in the query results just to display the splitted strings on several lines???:smileywink:  Martti K.

• 15.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Aug 04, 2009 05:20 AM
    Ech.   This is endless.Can someone find the developer that put in that little bit of code and give him/her a smack for me?   lol  This is what I was thinking...   Do a function that reads the string length and concat a string of blanks onto the end of each record... but the code removes the excess blanks as well.  Martti, if I understand correctly, you are suggesting that I essentially force the information into extra cells (for want of a better word)?The problem with that would be that the other dimensional data would be duped for each record and my users would scream bloody murder.   I can't win. Message Edited by AndreaMc on 08-04-2009 09:39 AM [left]

• 16.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Aug 04, 2009 07:19 AM
    Andrea,     I tried different functions in db and also used chr( 59 ) but everything working fine in DB and not working in Clarity Portlet.I suggest to wait for some time and raise an case id  with CA.If this is an issue then try to build an Simple Report in Actuate and handle it.     Few  Bad Ideas-->  1.Add  3 or  4 Useful  columns in the portlet show that due to space issue automatically  the  column will show the string in Multiple rows.  2.  Pls  show only first 50 or 100 characters in the column (column name put as Short Desc) and   point an Link in that column so when user clicks it ,it will take the user to the respective page there they can see the   full String.     regards,  sundar

• 17.  Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Aug 04, 2009 08:58 AM
    Sadly, we don't have a copy of the Actuate report writer...   No comment.   :p

• 18.  RE: Re: Hard Returns in NSQL dropped in Portlet

Posted Jul 19, 2011 12:20 PM
    You can work around that, see
    Inserting new line characters into query results?

Did you ever solve your problem?

Martti K.