Clarity

• 1.  Populate Tasks

Posted Aug 11, 2009 10:01 PM
    With Clarity version 7.5.3,the 'Populate Button' in a timesheet template if you were to choose 'Time Entry Options: Copy time entries from previous timesheet',seem to populate the  next timesheet with all tasks assigned to the resource instead of  tasks  selected  in previous timesheet.Can a  timesheet user change selection in 'Populate Button' to restrict to tasks selected in previous timesheet only?

• 2.  Re: Populate Tasks

Posted Aug 11, 2009 10:50 PM
    The user cannot change what the options for the Populate button do.As far as I recall the options are:  When not using Autopopulate: Fetch all tasks separaterly with Add TaskWhen using AutopopulateOff: Only the tasks meeting the criteria are populated ie ETC > 0 and start or finish within 7 days of the timeperiod, the admin can change 7 to something elseCopy timeentries from previous timesheet: The above plus the ones which had time entered on the previous timesheetCopy timeentries from previous timesheet actuals: The above plus the ones which had time entered on the previous timesheet and the time entered on those tasks (not incidents)  So the tasks meeting the criteria should come even if you do not plan to enter time on those and therefore do not want them.If you don't want them enter 0 as ETC (= pending ETC) and they should not come on the next timesheet with Autopopulate.Later if you want you can pick them again with Add task and put some ETC to keep them coming.  Martti K.  

• 3.  Re: Populate Tasks

Posted Aug 12, 2009 03:53 AM
    Hi,  If you are not using an Task for Timesheeting currently(users had assigned to that Task earlier) you can  uncheck the open for Time entry at Task Level.Then that tasks will not appear in populate and also in timesheets.When all  the assignments is closed for an task is closed you can uncheck the open for Time entry.  Regards,sundar

• 4.  Re: Populate Tasks

Posted Oct 29, 2014 04:39 PM

This used to work properly.  It would only copy tasks from my previous week's timesheet.

We are now on latest version 5 years later and it's still broke.  They now claim this is "as designed" however with customer demand going back this far, they should adjust their design so this works as needed by consumers.  There is obviously need for a "copy only entries from previous timesheet" option.

• 5.  Re: Populate Tasks

Posted Oct 29, 2014 05:15 PM

Create an idea in the ideation for that.

Yes there is a difference between as designed and as needed.

• 6.  Re: Populate Tasks

Posted Oct 30, 2014 11:26 AM

Thank you urmas for the suggestion.

What and where is ideation?

Per navzjoshi00 below, there is a TEC521565 enhancement request under review.  It is dated 9/11/2014.

• 7.  Re: Populate Tasks

Posted Oct 30, 2014 11:31 AM

Hi Mark - Ideas are part of the Content types on the site. More information can be found here in Training: Ideas Regards, Chris

• 8.  Re: Populate Tasks

Posted Oct 30, 2014 06:11 AM

The 'Populate' button will populate the timesheet with task assignments with a date range within the time period that have non-zero ETC --- open task assignments waiting for work to be done.

Please see the below thread for more reference -

https://communities.ca.com/message/241702033#241702033

Can you also check by changing the populate days before and days after = 0 with ETC =0

NJ

• 9.  Re: Populate Tasks

Posted Oct 30, 2014 11:16 AM

Thank you navzjoshi00.  I had already read the referenced thread and am familiar with the current options.

TEC521565 has the needed enhancement request.  The document is dated 9/11/2014.  This issue has been on the board since 2009.  How long before the review completes?

If CA continues postponing action to address customer outcry to modify the Populate button behavior, perhaps adding a "Copy From" button could be considered?

I did, as a non-admin client user, set the ETC fields to 0 on all the items I did not want to show, saved it, and then deleted those items from my timesheet.  When I hit populate on the next week's timesheet, it eliminated a majority of the unwanted items.  A couple with ETC=0 did still show up.  Perhaps that is because I charged hours to those earlier this year?  Does changing ETC within my timesheet affect only me or does changing it affect others' timesheets?

The aforementioned actions did help and should be published as a work-around for customers until the needed option to copy everything exactly the way it was on a previous timesheet gets implemented.

The problem seems to be that Clairty designers assume all its customers are micromanaging employee acitvities.  The product development areas within our company often perform that low-level administration of tasks and give careful scrutiny to begin and end of task dates.  The majority of areas (architecture, networking, performance eng, etc) within our company have high-level task buckets and occasionally pull in a low-level one if work is needed against a particular project CSR from another area.  Unfortunately, once one of these low-level tasks gets assigned, it sticks around longer than needed and since others within product development still need and use that task, using the task end date to prevent it from showing up in our timesheets is not an option.

• 10.  Re: Populate Tasks

Posted Oct 30, 2014 05:56 PM

One thing that would be helpful is if reviewing and accepting/rejecting Pending ETC was easier to perform.  Years ago, the Clarity/MSProject interface on downloading a project from Clarity to MSP would present a list of resources with pending ETC's, where one could then easily decide to accept or reject instances.

Pending Actuals/ETC - make more visable - This Idea asks for some equivalent capability to be added back into Clarity.  Please, vote it up!

If a project manager can more easily accept pending ETC's, then the tasks will continue to stay on user timesheets when populating.  However, the project manager should retain the option to reject pending ETC's and close tasks - letting resources keeping booking to a task forever with no review/control can't be a good thing, if one is trying to manage to a plan.  Make it easier for the project manager to review and control, please!