Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Timesheet portlet modification

• 1.  Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 18, 2009 06:01 PM
    Hi- we have a requirement to add another filter attribute(resource manager)  in the timesheet section. If filter by resource manager he(resource manager)  shoule be able to approve all his resources timesheets. Is it possible? if so, can you please provide steps to make this modification.      Thanks,vani.

• 2.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 18, 2009 07:50 PM
    The timesheet browser isn't configurable (up to and including v12).  The resource manager might filter by:  a. OBS, and/orb. "My Rights" = Approve  Note:Unlike most filter areas in Clarity you cannot save personal filters in the timesheet browser.You can however assist users by placing RELATIVE URL's in html portlets that will mimic the effect of stored filters.  for instance:  Default Timesheet Browser  Timsheets I can approve    note these too can be tuned to suit:&sortColumn=FULL_NAME&sortDirection=asc&filter_collapsed=false [can be: &filter_collapsed=true ]  So perhas, have the user establish the most suitable timesheet filter, capture the URL from the browser, place that URL into their "Favorite Links" links    

• 3.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 18, 2009 08:15 PM
    Vani,  Are u referring to Out of the Box portlet or custom build one.If custom based then  is it  an n-sql or object based portlet?.If it is an out of the Box then i think it is not possible to add the field as Timesheet is secured object.(It is  restricted.Don't know in v12).If it is an Nsql you can  add the resource manager and also filter you can view the resources,but you can't approve there.you have to provide an Link that will take you to the Timesheet.(I have not tried)  But If you are an resource manager for an resource and you have approve timesheets rights for his resource then  he can  automatically view all  his resource  timesheetsand approve it.

• 4.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 19, 2009 03:55 AM
    Thanks for the reply. we are on version 12.0.1 and option of configuring timesheet is not available.  The OBS filter is one of the options that  I thought about it.  But Sundar all resource managers can view all resources timesheets. how do we restrict that? if they have Timesheets - Navigate global rights, would that fix the issue where they can view only their resources to approve timesheets?  what does Timesheets - approve All global rights do?  Thanks,vani.

• 5.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 19, 2009 04:54 AM
    The amount of Timesheets a Resource manager "sees" in their Timesheets screen depends upon their rights to enter or approve time over other resources.   If you give your Resource managers global "approve time"/"enter time" rights, then they will see all system timesheets in that screen (not a good thing?).  However if you give out "approve"/"enter" rights to your Resource Managers at a lower level (typically at indvidual resource or at a specific level of a Resource related OBS) then you restrict the timesheets they can see to only ones that they "need" to see...  NB that the global "navigate" right does not come into this disuccison really, that just gives the user acces to the Timesheets screen (not to the data that the screen then displays).  Dave.

• 6.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 19, 2009 05:05 AM
    Timesheets - Navigatebasically it allows the menu  to include the Timesheets link  (navigate rights might also provide other capability, but the main objective of "navigate" is to control the menu)  Timesheets - Approve Allwill do exactly what is says :-) give  you the ability to approve all timesheetsthis may be what you do not wanthowever this right works in conjunction with the ability to "see" resources, so if you can only "see" resources belonging to OBS\ABC\DEF then you can't approve timesheets coming from OBS\ABC\XYZ  If the resource managers have global view rights to all resources, and global approve rights to approve timesheets - then filtering the timesheet browser  is likely to be a  hassle.  OBS filtering is usually very helpful.  I really do suggest using either html portlets and/or the Favorite Links portlet as a way to  setup filters the timesheet browser.    

• 7.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 19, 2009 05:50 AM
    Vani,  For restricting Resource Manager to approve only the resource timesheets under him.  It may be an cumbersome process to follow but to restrict the RM to approve only his Resources Timesheets  you need to do this.  If   A   is an  user and B is the RM for A then i should be given timesheet approval only for A not for all other users.While Creating an user (A)  whoever doing the User creation must provide  Under RM B   Resource  properties(Admin Page)-->Instance Level   --   Resource - Approve Time   access rights (Choosing A).  or  Under RM B Resource Properties(Admin page)-->Access to this Resource-->Provide Approve timesheets or A.  By this way the respective manager will get only his resources timesheets view.  For new users who are going to be created this approach will be ok.But for existing users you need to provide instance level Resource-Approve Timesheet rights for all their RM's.  For migration you need to do 1 time xogging.(i have used xog to remove the instance level access rights but not providing instance level rights).  Many users    are using automated timesheet process for approving timesheets.There are few  posts related to that.You can try that.  regards,sundar  

• 8.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 19, 2009 06:52 AM
    Looks like on the whole i have two options for out of the box timesheet functionality:  1. To use the OBS filter and save the URL to clarity favorates2. Giving instace rights "approve time all"  to RM to their resources (but this is tedious). this might be little cumbersom because if new resources come  and existing resources  leave we need to remember to add/remove them to/from correct RM "Approve Time all" instance rights  Maxad suggested to "use either html portlets and/or the Favorite Links portlet as a way to  setup filters the timesheet browser" i am not clear about this. can you please elaborate?  Thanks all for your suggestions.  Vani.

• 9.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 19, 2009 07:58 PM
    To illustrate the use of html portlets for this I've attached a "timesheet toolbox" and a very small grid portlet that acts as a action flag for timesheet approvers.  Hope they prove useful.  Paul  nb:enclosed xog is 8.0 (should work in any 8x or 12x)portlets: ts_approval_flag & ts_toolboxquery: ts_approval_flag and has query code in both Oracle & MSSQL    

Attachment(s)

• 10.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 21, 2009 10:06 AM
    Thanks for everyone for providing the great input. I did try couple of suggestions and provided it the customer.  But is there any way to filter timesheets on resource manager? and approve all at ones? this could be for any resource manager approving timesheets for any resources. if a resource manager is on vacation other resource manager can approve time on his behalf by searching resources under the resource manager who is not available to approve.  Any one has done this? and they want to approve on one shot.  ThanksVani.

• 11.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 24, 2009 02:11 AM
       Hi,     i don't know any out of the Box way other than the above suggested ones.     But i think you can achive it by creating an process via GEL Script.     Pls create an group called RM Manager Group,add all the RM"s in that Group.Create an process by choosing Timesheet and set the condition  as prstatus=2(submitted).     Then the process will send an notification to the Respective RM's.If   the RM's submit & approve it then the next step an Gel script will be called.     (Many gurus have discussed and posted the working scripts).     The Gel script then will call this DML Statement and will send an final notification thatthe resources timesheets are approved.     update prtimesheet set status=3 where prtimeperiod between   and   prresourceid in (select id from srm_resources  where manager_id in (select id from cmn_sec_users where id=(pls pass the user id)     When a RM is on vacation he can choose an proxy.An other RM as Proxy during that period so that the RM (2nd one) will be able to view  the notifications and approve on behalf on him.     This is just an idea.You need to add / modify some other conditions to make it hussle free.     Regards,  sundar

• 12.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 24, 2009 03:34 AM
    Thanks for all the suggestions. As i have provided most of the solutions,  I will probably open up a enhancement ticket to CA to have a resource manager name filter in the timesheets. By that they can filter the selection by resource manager.  Thanks,vani.

• 13.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 24, 2009 03:45 AM
    please take great care with direct updates to system tables.....  the suggested update ignores timesheet status - would you want to approve  a timesheet  that was "returned"?  the most maintainable way of adjusting Clarity data is via XOG(yes I know, I hear you grumbling already)        

• 14.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 24, 2009 03:53 AM
    Nope.Thnks for pointing it.  Missed to mention the status in the where clause.When an Non DB resource try to use this Query it will be wrong.Allways like to rectify my mistakes(If it is),particularly CA forums had  taught me a lot.  regards,sundar

• 15.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 19, 2009 07:07 AM
    From a systems management perspective I prefer the instance rights approach. Unless there is an insane amount of resoruce changes in an organization, then there is only a small amount of adminsitration. One thing a lot of organizations forget about Clarity is that it is an Enterprise Class tool. As with all Enterprise Class Applications, there is administration involved. Just like in SAP, People Soft, Oracle E-business Suite, and other enterprise class apps.  A good operational procedure guide should provide the check list for what the Clarity Administrator needs to do when preforming any move/add/change to a resource. Also, the sucess of this is dependant upon the Clarity Administrator knowing about any move/add/changes. So it is very important that Clarity is tied into HR so that they are informed of the changes.  Think about it this way. Any time a there is a Move/Add/Change, HR has to know about it and there generally is a formal mechanism for a manager to notify HR. This notification often also informs teh applications group, desktop support gorup, and other groups to make sure the resource has a phone, email, desktop, office and other requriements. Why not get onto the same form/request so that the Clarity administartor is also notified so that they can also perform the necessary actions to get someone on/off/moved in Clarity.

• 16.  Re: Timesheet portlet modification

Posted Aug 19, 2009 07:09 AM
      |   view attached
    You can grant approve time instance rights to resource manager with procedure attached below.  Apply same logic to remove instance rights from resource manager by calling procedure APP_NIKU.CMN_SEC_REMOVE_INST_RIGHT_SP.          hope this helps

Attachment(s)