Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?

• 1.  Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?

Posted Oct 05, 2009 12:06 AM
    Am I being daft?   Is there a way to disable the "tabs" that appear in a Project that are related to the "Collaboration functions" in Clarity?  i.e. the "Action Item", "Documents", "Discussions", "Calendar"   etc.  These appear once a user has become a particpant upon the project (i.e. once they are staffed on the plan) and I have a PM who is saying he does not want to use the functionality on his project and so wants the tabs gone.  --  (I know I can affect some of the tabs appearing (or not) - like Risks/Issues just with access rights, but the "Collaboration" ones?????? (OR indeed the "Processes" and "Dashboard" tabs trhat appear when you have any sort of project-edit rights) )    Thanks,Dave.

• 2.  Re: Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 05, 2009 12:54 AM
    If participation rights are added when someone is placed on a project team (which seems to be the case) than yes every participant will see those tabs.   IF that PM is 'collaboration manager' then the following would ( sort of ) work:  Have PM remove all other participants from that project - they will then NOT see the collaboration tabs (after next login).  IF PM then removes their own participation rights (not tested, but I think it can be done) he/she will no longer see the tabs either....  BUT, if another person is added to then team then the 'fix' is broken because the PM no longer has a way to even see the tabs, let alone remove the new participant. So the PM may want to retain their collaboration management rights and ignore the collaboration tabs.   Could they not just ignore the tabs overall? Seems a whole lot easier.  Note of course, even though you can achieve hiding the collaboration tabs, you don't get the ability to add more of you own.    Remember also:> that sometimes security design assumes stakeholders get participation rights - this would break if this technique is employed.> (needs checking) action items sent by project processes will not be visible via the project "Action Item" tab (but would be visible elsewhere still)

• 3.  Re: Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?

Posted Oct 05, 2009 01:03 AM
    sorry - missed these: (OR indeed the "Processes" and "Dashboard" tabs trhat appear when you have any sort of project-edit rights) )   The Process tab will appear if user has any rights to project related processes. If they have no rights (at all) to these then they would not see it. (It still exists of course)  The dashboard - I don't think you can hide this - but WOW why would you? This is the only place you can add your own content into the project object and if anything I would like multiple "dashboards" :-) [Which I often achieve via links from the active dashboard via summary portlets or links to other custom designed pages with drill-down content]    WHICH dashboard is used is controlled by the "page layout" attribute so you can set (for example) the default dashboard to the PMO Accelerator dashboard.  

• 4.  Re: Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?

Posted Oct 05, 2009 01:20 AM
    "WOW why would you?"  Indeed!   Don't ask me, its the PM who asking for it.  I think the short answer is "no" then.   (Since the resources NEED to be on the project to book time etc, they are always going to be a particpant, thus always see the collaboration tabs....)  I'll look into the "Process" tab though, I think I should be able to get rid of that....  Thanks (for at least confirming I'm not going "daft"!)  Dave.  

• 5.  Re: Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?

Posted Oct 05, 2009 06:14 AM
    I can't seem to get rid of the "Process" tab at all though - I have set up a new user with only Partcipant access to a project (and not in any system groups, and not with any OBS inherited rights) and they still get the "Processes" tab against the project (even though there are no available processes within it - indeed I don't have any Project-related processes in the system).  I'd have expected that if I did not have any "Run process" rights I should not see the "Process" tab at all?  Not to worry though... just one of those things I guess!  Dave.

• 6.  Re: Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?

Posted Oct 05, 2009 07:45 AM
    Back to collaboration: You must have at least one collaboration manager. So after you have removed all participants if you try to remove yourself as a collaboration manager the error message is that you must make collaboration manager first a participant. When you try to do that the error message is that you must have at least one collaboration manager.  There is a project manager option when to make team members participants: neve, when added to the project, when hard booked, when request status is approved.  Martti K.

• 7.  Re: Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?

Posted Oct 05, 2009 07:52 AM
    ^ yeah its a real pain that "Collaboration Manager" business...   NOT being controlled by usual Clarity access rights is very un-helpfulan not very Clarity-intuitive.  I think in my situation (well my PM's situation); I want the team members to be TEAM members (booking time, doing tasks, working hard etc) on my plan, but for them NOT to be PARTICPANTS on the plan.... and it just does not work that way does it (i.e. if you are in the TEAM then you are a PARTICPANT).  Ideally I'd like to decide on a per-project basis whether I want "Collaboration enabled" at all on the project..... at least this is what my PM wants to do (its a distration for his team members it seems).    Dave.

• 8.  Re: Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?

Posted Oct 05, 2009 09:02 AM
    Dave,  --if you are in the TEAM then you are a PARTICPANT--  This depend upon the Settings in
      Admin-->Project Management --> Settings --> Add Staff Members As Project Participants --> When added to Project.  You can change the settings and set to None or Hard booked so the team members will not be added as   Project Participants.

Cheers,
    sundar

• 9.  Re: Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?

Posted Oct 05, 2009 09:13 AM
    Thats a system level setting though?..... its only for "some" projects that I'd want "team members not as particpants".  :-(  Never mind - educate the PM is the answer!

• 10.  Re: Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?

Posted Oct 05, 2009 10:00 AM
    Dave said -- Educate the PM is the answer!  That's right....  Earlier i used to do lot of helps in an un authorized way(i have the DB scripts for updating / inserting collab mgr,participants) so i used to help(wrongly guide them) PM's.
    the resaon is when we migrated from another tool to niku all the projects are created by admin (upload),so admin become the default CBM,even we changed the pm to the user
    he still not got the rights,then we learnt that we need to do it manually, so we created the script and used it.                                 Now strictly no for scripts,whenever the pm is leaving he needs to complete his activities in clarity.(Need to change the PM ,collab mgr to new pm or if the new pm is notidentified then need to add PMO as CBM).  cheers,sundar

• 11.  Re: Disable "Collaboration" tabs (in a Project)?

Posted Oct 05, 2009 11:14 AM
    Re:"^ yeah its a real pain that "Collaboration Manager" business...   NOT being controlled by usual Clarity access rights is very un-helpfulan not very Clarity-intuitive.
    I think in my situation (well my PM's situation); I want the team members to be TEAM members (booking time, doing tasks, working hard etc) on my plan, but for them NOT to be PARTICPANTS on the plan.... and it just does not work that way does it (i.e. if you are in the TEAM then you are a PARTICPANT).
    Ideally I'd like to decide on a per-project basis whether I want "Collaboration enabled" at all on the project..... at least this is what my PM wants to do (its a distration for his team members it seems).

:-(

Never mind - educate the PM is the answer! "  No, that is the wrong answer.The right answer is the change the product to do what the user want it to do.I've already brought up that in several occasions without success.Anybody else wanna try?  Can you set up a poll on this forum?  Martti K.

• 12.  Re: Process Tab

Posted Oct 05, 2009 04:58 PM
    Dave - my apologies - I thought the Process Tab was controlled by permissions - apparently not.  Created a master object (not event enabled) [v12.0.0.5029]Created a new user, navigate and create rights given on that new object :: no other rights explicitly givenLogin as that usercreate instance in that objectcan see the process tab  Live and Learn    so the "educate option" seems the only course of action.... cheers.