Clarity

• 1.  Collaboration Manager

Posted Nov 16, 2009 06:07 AM
     I am trying to figure out how to use Collaboration Manager with documents and "Forms". Whenever I go to create a new Form folder I get a message saying No Forms Defined. What is this? Ultimately I would like to have a repository for approved templates for  a project(s) and then associate/attach a form/template to a task.I am not sure if I have proper permissions and can't find much in the way of documentation on this subject.        

• 2.  Re: Collaboration Manager
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 16, 2009 06:30 AM
    So a couple of items:I believe that Forms are depricated in current versions but still in the system for legacy clients.   ergo, Forms are not available for normal use.  I have accomplished the templates option you mention below by using Templates - simply create a template with your base process flow and insert the documents in folders within the Project Template.   Require use of the template through either removing Project - Create New and only using Project - New from Template or just verbal policy.   Task based templates are tough, but can be accomplished if you need them.  The Collaboration Manager is more of a moderator role than a 'feature'.   Use the Documents part of the Collab tab and see what you can make work for you.Cheers and hope this helps.CR

• 3.  Re: Collaboration Manager

Posted Nov 16, 2009 08:10 AM
    So there is no easy way to attach a document to a task? Frustrating...I would think you could attach an incomplete deliverable to a task. One solution I thought of but it fell flat was to use the Links option on a task and give it a url to a sharepoint site...but the Links option doesn't show up in OWB

• 4.  Re: Collaboration Manager

Posted Nov 16, 2009 11:59 AM
    You can also add custom field of type attachment - single or multiple to the task object.But when trying for some reason that did not show up in OWB either.Guidelines on the other hand work fine with OWB.You can use them to point to a web page or as far as I understand to a file if the format is correct.  Martti K.

• 5.  Re: Collaboration Manager

Posted Nov 18, 2009 06:52 AM
    I worked with me tech resources to link an attribute for export into MSP - would an attribute be able to be added to the OWB list of attribs that were passed back and forth?

• 6.  Re: Collaboration Manager

Posted Nov 19, 2009 02:05 AM
      |   view attached
    AH!  Have a look at "guidelines" (and the result is 'guideline url') in OWB - these were designed to support delivery of 'methodology' in a 'context sensitive' manner.  Do you have an internal wiki?  It's not hard to re-use the guidelines feature with wiki's to set-up potentially very functional information repositories linked to tasks.  I trialled this on a laptop install of Clarity some while back - but it was only a trial - however the results were good. I've never had an opportunity to exploit it beyond concept.  Note guideline url's 'cascade' see the image below  The advantage of a wiki here is that if the page does not exist it may allow you to create it (wiki's are younger than the guideline feature btw) and you can add as many 'links' as you want/need. Plus notes, work instructions etc. (and if you're lucky the wiki may support files too).  Just a thought :-)      Oh - you have to right-click on a task in OWB to access the URL in your browser (you'll see Guidelines at the bottom of the context menu)

• 7.  Re: Collaboration Manager

Posted Nov 19, 2009 03:23 AM
    Aha! This may be what we are looking for. One thing...the functionality seems to be better in OWB! Within Clarity is there a way to make the Guidelines field (there doesn't seem to be a Guidelines URL field available) hyperlinked? Right now it is just a string.  Thanks

• 8.  Re: Collaboration Manager

Posted Nov 19, 2009 11:53 AM
    In Clarity the task Guidelines work a little bit different.Set a value into the guidelines field     go to the Organizer Tasks tab and locate the task in question     Double click the Guidelines icon and you will be taken in this case to MyClarity.com  I could not   find an OOT link for guidelines in task attributes but if you can define a link to task guidelines and then add a virtual field for that link into the task list view that should work in the same manner.  Did you search support site KB for guidelines? Guidelines came to the GUI in Niku 6  Martti K.    

• 9.  Re: Collaboration Manager

Posted Nov 19, 2009 12:01 PM
    Guidelines were introduced before Niku (when ABT in the much older client/server 'project repository') - so glad you pointed out the organizer I'd forgotten where that icon/link was used.  In the old ABT product guielines were also available on the timesheet (but not now it seems). I agree, there is no 'link type' to guidelines, which is a pity.  Enhacement requests anyone?  

• 10.  Re: Collaboration Manager

Posted Nov 21, 2009 02:05 AM
    True about the introduction of guidelines, but IMHO there was no system wide browser GUI before Niku 6.  In Clarity GUI linkingworkd by default in the URL field and so does attachment field.Note that the field length for the guidelines is 254, while length of the URL field is the 2000 fornormal text fields but the default it only 30.From these three fields the Guidelines ULR and standard URL fields are passed to OWB.You can open the Guidelines with right click if you have the field displayed.The URL field displays as text and not as link.The attachment field is not displayable at all.I guess at the time RMS 5 Workbench was designed the need was not visioned.       Martti K.