Clarity

• 1.  Openworkbench: View: Sort - (Sort length option)

Posted Dec 02, 2009 01:38 AM

In a OWB view, inside Sort tab, I can see the column "Sort length" but i think this input field isn't working as expected.  

My understanding is that this field determine the number of characters following the position identified by "Start Column" that will be used by sort function, it limits the target of sort function for this row (field) and enables a more sophisticated sort functionality using next rows.

OWB view sort length option field

Help page

But in the practice, OWB use all the character following the "Start column" position.

Have anyone used this field?

The description of these fields are too short in documentation files but the field "Start column" is working correctly

• 2.  Re: Openworkbench: View: Sort - (Sort length feature)

Posted Dec 02, 2009 11:06 PM
    Would it be possible for you to give pictures how it works now and how would you expect it to work (eg a samle listed manually sorted in Excel).  Martti K.  P.S. and if you can provide a picture from a tool that does what you want. Message Edited by another_martink on 03-12-2009 02:14 PM [left]

• 3.  Re: Openworkbench: View: Sort - (Sort length feature)

Posted Dec 03, 2009 10:35 PM

I've  attached some screenshots from the openworkbench:

•    ss1   Project view (task list before configure "Sort")
    •    ss2   Sort Task options ("Sort" by ID and Name)
    •    ss3   Project view ("Sort" by ID and Name configured and applied)  

Expected behavior in attached image:

• my_expected_sort.png

And if my understanding of this option is wrong,

what is the purpose of "sort length" option?  

Thanks  

• 4.  Re: Openworkbench: View: Sort - (Sort length feature)

Posted Dec 03, 2009 10:39 PM
      |   view attached
    Sorry i think this image is a bit better to see how the sort should be workingmy_correct_sort2.png

• 5.  Re: Openworkbench: View: Sort - (Sort length feature)

Posted Dec 17, 2009 10:58 AM
    It appears tha you are right that the sorting lenght is not honoured (either at all or when there is a second sorting criteria)  The order in my_correct_sort is not correct, however.  The tasks that are before the phase are sorted based on their intendation as phases, which is not correct,   and sorted after the first real phase.Because they are tasks that would modify the WBS and put them under the real phase.  In this respect OWB does the sorting correctly.  Martti K.

• 6.  Re: Openworkbench: View: Sort - (Sort length feature)

Posted Apr 03, 2017 11:35 AM
      |   view attached

As this is a very old thread, I decided to check again using a recent version of OWB (v2.1.2 from Clarity v14) and the behavior is still the same.

OWB view definition task sort

OWB task list and sort

Attachment(s)

zip
    owb_test_view_sort.rmp.zip   26 KB 1 version