Clarity

• 1.  Does anyone know the documentaion on how allocate from estimates work?

Posted Feb 18, 2010 03:51 PM
    I used to have this, but cannot find it anywhere on the support site. I need to know the algorithm/calculation of how allocate from estimates work. I am starting to doubt my years of experience :)   lol       Or, does anyone just know it or can explain it "easily"The reason I ask: our data is very inconsistent. Here is one that really bothers me:Resource A is allocated to a maintenance project at a fixed loading pattern for the year,, thus avg allocation per week is 16 hrs. (used allocate from Estimates to achieve the allocation since it is a project, not a bucket and the default allocation is 100% team dates 1/1-12/31/2010))- No other allocations- Create a project schedule where the only assignments for the resource are from 2/8- 4/10 with a total ETC = 160 hrs.   The resource has logged time to tasks in the past (Jan) but no ETCs exist.- Team dates are 2/8- 4/20- Choose allocate from estimates and the allocation comes out to be 68 hrs..- Our parameter is set to pad the allocation 10%- our default allocation = 0% but even if I use 100% I do not see any difference.  It creates like 5 allocation segments  Any ideas?? Resources are hard booked. I am wondering if anyone at some point did a commit planned or hard allocation option, but I cannot tell. I have seen an allocation discrepancy like this on many resources,   and the only way I can really resolve it is to manually set the allocation %, but this won't work for this resource, since there are several assignments with different ETCs.  Any advice is welcomed :)  Lynn

• 2.  Re: Does anyone know the documentaion on how allocate from estimates work?

Posted Feb 19, 2010 12:47 PM
    Hi All,  Any ideas here for Lynn?  Thanks,Chris

• 3.  RE: Does anyone know the documentaion on how allocate from estimates work?

Posted Jun 21, 2010 11:51 AM
    I got this from the documentation
    When you assign staff to tasks, CA Clarity PPM immediately generates estimates based on allocation information (i.e., the number of working days the resource is assigned to the task multiplied by the resource's daily availability). You can also change the estimates in the following ways:

Use the Allocate From Estimates option when you have changed CA Clarity PPM's original estimates in some way, and want CA Clarity PPM to again calculate the allocation based on estimates.

Use the Estimate From Allocation option when you want CA Clarity PPM to generate estimates based on allocation.

Use the Set Allocation option to update the allocation of multiple team members at the same time.

Use the Commit Planned Allocation option to reset the hard allocation to be equal to the planned allocation. You may need to do this after editing the planned allocation segment for a resource as you may now want to hard-book those segments.

Use the Accept Hard Allocation option to reset the planned allocation to be equal to the hard-booked allocation. If there were soft-booked planned segments under the Planned Allocation section, they are removed and all segments are reset to equal the hard-booked segment.

• 4.  RE: Does anyone know the documentaion on how allocate from estimates work?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 25, 2010 10:39 AM
    I just realized I had this sitting out here:)

I ended up finally getting CA to document the logic. It basically takes the
    daily ETC/avilability + padding factor.

the details from support:
    When the 'Allocate from Estimates' button is clicked, the allocation for each
    selected team member is updated to reflect the current
    estimates-to-complete on that team member's task assignments. The allocation
    is only modified for days that are after the latest Act Thru date on all of
    the team members' task assignments. The allocation for earlier days remains
    untouched.

The new allocation for the days that are modified is calculated in the
    following way:

The sum of the estimates on that day is divided by the availability of the
    resource on that day. This value is then rounded to determine the allocation
    rate (rounding is determined by the value entered in the Round Allocations To
    Nearest % field), which is then set for that day. After the allocation rates
    for all the days are determined, allocation segments are created from each
    set of consecutive days with the same rate.

Note that the time-of-day is not considered when determining the daily
    allocation rates. Allocating from Estimates will never produce allocation
    segments that are shorter than one day. One subtle side-effect of this can be
    experienced by MSP users that have manually entered actuals that end in the
    middle of a day. They will see that the allocation for that entire day is
    replaced with the estimates for that day.

The Allocate from Estimates button is active whether the project was created
    as a fast plan or a power plan.

If Round Allocation to Nearest % is set to zero or 1, then no rounding is
    done. This setting will produce a remaining allocation that is as close to
    the estimate as possible.

-----
    it ended up that the rounding factor gave us grief, and I set it to 0. the padding worked like this if parameter set to 10 % (it took the daily etc if it = `1.08 then that rounded to 1.6).. there was a lot of logic around the padding parameter that made no sense.
    it rounds to the nearest 10% the
    incremeting would be: .8, 1.60, 2.40, 3.2, 4.0, 4.8, 5.6, 6.4, 7.2, 8.0