DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

What is Blame technology?

• 1.  What is Blame technology?

Posted Dec 07, 2009 07:32 AM
    I've done a fair amount of searching and I can't find the answer to the question:   What is Blame technology or the Blamed tracer concept.   How are using Blame tracers different than non-blame tracers?   I know that Java classes and methods need to use blame traces to participate in a transaction trace...   I've also heard words like BlamePoint and Blame Stack.   What do these mean?   Are there any definitions for this things in the product documentation that I am missing?  I'm trying to write custom PBDs for our In-house applications and I want to understand when to use the appropriate type of tracer and reduce our system overhead.  Thanks,Walt

• 2.  Re: What is Blame technology?

Posted Dec 07, 2009 01:15 PM
    Hi Walt,  I am checking with some folks to see if they can get you an answer on this one.  Regards,Chris

• 3.  Re: What is Blame technology?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2009 03:28 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello Walter,  Boundary blame itself takes out (from the Investigator view) intermediate components in a blame stack.  
    Basically all you get is the frontend and backend -- the "boundaries" of the JVM components.  
    This has resulted in a sizeable decrease in EM metric load as we used to have in previous Introscope 5.x,6.x releases, where all blame stack was collected affecting EM and Agent performance.
    Please note that this can be switched off, but you lose some nicer naming of components if you switch this feature off.

Boundary blame works like this:There is a new tracer called a FrontendTracer that can be used to explicitly mark a frontend.   If no FrontendTracer is configured, the first component in the blame stack will be the default frontend (this may not be desireable -- for example, in a BRTA environment you may want to make servlets show up as frontends instead of the browser component.   If so, the FrontendTracer is for you!).  There is also a BackendTracer to explicitly mark backends (databases, for instance).   A default backend can be inferred in the absence of a backend tracer -- basically, anything that opens a client socket will be a default backend if none is explicitly marked.Finally, there is a BlamePointTracer (of which the FrontendTracer and BackendTracer are instances) that gives canonicalized metrics for any blamed component (avg. response time, per interval counts, concurrency, stalls, errors).   A BlamePointTracer would go on a middle component.   Using it instead of the old individual tracers in previous v5,6 simplifies configuring the common and more required metrics quickly.  For more information, please refer to:-  JavaAgent8.2.0.0.pdf, page 94, 134  - see attachment.- KB: 138 - Creating Custom Directives (Tracers) : https://support.wilytech.com/cgi-bin/wilytech.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=138  I hope this helps,  Regards,  Sergio

Attachment(s)

zip
    JavaAgent8.2.0.0.zip   1.70 MB 1 version

• 4.  Re: What is Blame technology?

Posted Dec 08, 2009 03:43 AM
    So when configuring new PBDs, should I always use Blame type tracers?   When would I ever need to configure one of the old type traces?   Also, where can I get a copy of the "BlamePointTracerLite"?   Has this been incorporated into the base product?

• 5.  Re: What is Blame technology?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2009 07:18 AM
    Hi Walter,  >>"So when configuring new PBDs, should I always use Blame type tracers?  "Answer: Your assumption is correct, we do recommend  customers to use whenever possible the new blame tracers, however this will depends on your implementation - see next answer.  >> "When would I ever need to configure one of the old type traces?  "Answer: The new blame point tracers give you the option to collect  all the multiple standard and basic metrics at once  (avg. response time, per interval counts, concurrency, stalls, errors).Using the old tracers gives you the option to  collect individual metric based on an aspect you are interested in instead of collecting all the above 5 metrics that come by default using the blame tracers.The use of old tracers is rare and based on my experience, apart from  testing purposes,  I don't see any customer using them.  >> "where can I get a copy of the "BlamePointTracerLite"?   Has this been incorporated into the base product? "Answer:  I have just  received a confirmation from Introscope Product Manager that BlamePointTracerLite is not part of the product yet.Please find attached a copy of this Agent extension.  I hope this helps,  Regards,  Sergio    

• 6.  Re: What is Blame technology?

Posted Dec 08, 2009 07:27 AM
    Thanks for the detailed information.   I can't unzip the docs with your recent attachment, I get this error:   skipping: BlamePointTracerLite.doc   unsupported compression method 98

• 7.  Re: What is Blame technology?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2009 07:46 AM
      |   view attached
    Please find attached the extension again.  Regards,Sergio

Attachment(s)

• 8.  Re: What is Blame technology?

Posted Dec 08, 2009 07:49 AM
    Great, that is working.   This sounds like a great feature, especially if integrated with the CEM.   Is there any word if this will be included in 9.0?  Thanks,Walt

• 9.  Re: What is Blame technology?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2009 07:52 AM
    Unfortunately,  there is not plan to include this feature in i9.  Regards,Sergio

• 10.  Re: What is Blame technology?

Posted Dec 08, 2009 07:54 AM
    Thank-You for all of your help.

• 11.  Re: What is Blame technology?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2009 07:56 AM
    Hi Walter,You are more than welcome.  Regards,Sergio

• 12.  RE: Re: What is Blame technology?

Posted Aug 13, 2013 11:48 AM

SergioMorales wrote:

Unfortunately,  there is not plan to include this feature in i9.  Regards,Sergio
    Has there been any change in direction in this for the 9.1 or 9.5 release series? Is there an alternative?

• 13.  RE: Re: What is Blame technology?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2013 12:16 PM
    If what you're interested in is specific Blame metrics and not all of them, please refer to our Wiki for details on currently supported tracers.

• 14.  RE: Re: What is Blame technology?

Posted Aug 13, 2013 12:24 PM
    No, I'm only interested if there have been any changes to include BlamePointTracerLite or an alternative as part of the base product.

• 15.  RE: Re: What is Blame technology?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 13, 2013 12:48 PM
    No, there hasn't been any changes there.
    You may want to reach to Andreas Reiss to see if maybe it could be included in APM Studio.

• 16.  RE: Re: What is Blame technology?

Posted Aug 13, 2013 01:04 PM
    Doesn't the FullTTDetailsTracer accomplish much the same thing? It also adds a component to a Transcation Trace without generating additional metrics.