DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  How does Wily Introscope for .NET work?

Posted Feb 05, 2010 11:38 AM
    Can someone point me to a white paper or article that details how the Wily Introscope .NET Agent works? Thanks for any info. Chinh

• 2.  Re: How does Wily Introscope for .NET work?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 08, 2010 12:01 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi,Please find attached Agent guide, I would recommed you to read the following chapters/sections:-The .NET agent overview  - it covers the lifecycle of the .NET Agent and AutoProbe, how the .NET Agent works with your applications-.NET Agent implementation  Regards,  Sergio

Attachment(s)

zip
    DotNetAgentGuide 8.2.1.0.zip   1.10 MB 1 version

• 3.  Re: How does Wily Introscope for .NET work?

Posted Feb 08, 2010 05:14 AM
    Hi Sergio:  Thanks for the info.  The .NET Agent docs you mentioned talk mostly about how to install/setup/configure... I am looking for info on how it works behind the scene. How does it add hooks to the .NET code? Does it do some type of GAC forwarding? What API does it use to add these hooks? On the Java docs, it's explained clearly that the Java Agent dynamically modifies the Java bytecode. I couldn't find anything that talks about how the .NET Agent does its instrumentation. The only thing I found was something about it getting data from inside the CLR.  Chinh

• 4.  Re: How does Wily Introscope for .NET work?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 29, 2014 06:15 PM

That information is in the Overview and Installation guides.

If you read the chapter on manual installation, you will see that the wily.Agent.dll is added to the GAC. The agent works the same way in Java and .NET: bytecode instrumentation is how it's able to inject itself into an application. This is explained in the Overview guide.