DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Adding Number of Active Sessions Metric to Introscope (WebLogic)

Posted Feb 08, 2010 08:38 AM
    Hi All,  We have the need to begin pulling the number of active sessions on our weblogic servers.   I have seen many different variations of ways to do this.  Ultimately we are going to be using the data from this metric to define our actual load testing scenarios in pre-production so it is quite important to us.   So far I have created the following directives in a custom.pbd file:   TraceOneMethodOfClass: weblogic.servlet.internal.session.CookieSessionContext getNewSession SimpleIncrementor "WebLogic|HTTP Sessions Subsystem|Cookie Sessions:Session Count"   TraceOneMethodOfClass: weblogic.servlet.internal.session.CookieSessionContext invalidateSession SimpleDecrementor "WebLogic|HTTP Sessions Subsystem|Cookie Sessions:Session Count"    I've also seen some mention of a WebLogic-specific metric called "Number of Active Sessions" and this really seems to be more of what I'm looking for but I'm not sure how to instrument it.    Does anyone else currently instrument this class and if so what does your directives line look like?     Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  Re: Adding Number of Active Sessions Metric to Introscope (WebLogic)

Posted Feb 08, 2010 12:14 PM
    Nick,  Have a look at PPWebLogic8.1.pbd and you should see this section.  ###########
    # The following metrics are disabled by default.
    #         WebLogic|HTTP Sessions Subsystem|All Sessions:Session Count
    #         WebLogic|HTTP Sessions Subsystem|Cookie Sessions:Session Count
    #         WebLogic|HTTP Sessions Subsystem|File Sessions:Session Count
    #         WebLogic|HTTP Sessions Subsystem|JDBC Sessions:Session Count
    #         WebLogic|HTTP Sessions Subsystem|Memory Sessions:Session Count
    #         WebLogic|HTTP Sessions Subsystem|Replicated Sessions:Session Count
    # Please consider enabling them only in non-cluster weblogic environment.  It's always said that these don't work particularly well in a non-clustered environment and I haven't had much luck in using them myself.  I've also tried once instrumenting one of our own classes that gets called on session create and on session destroy with an incrementor/decrementor and have had better results, although as sessions remain in memory and time out after say 30 minutes, the figures are not exact.  Hope that helps,  Pete    

• 3.  Re: Adding Number of Active Sessions Metric to Introscope (WebLogic)
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 22, 2010 10:11 AM
    Hi All,   Thank you for your responses.   I tried the solution provided to no avail.   I was able to add the active sessions metrics using a JMX filter as follows: WebAppComponentRuntime:OpenSessionsCurrentCount,WebAppComponentRuntime:OpenSessionsHighCount,WebAppComponentRuntime:SessionsOpenedTotalCount,WebAppComponentRuntime:SessionTimeoutSecs  NOTE: This should all be on one line and is WebLogic version specific.  Take Care