DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  3.5 .NET framework webservices

Posted Mar 03, 2010 04:38 PM
    hello,  I recently installed   IScope 8.0.2.0 agent on a couple of windows server 2003, and I've noticed that I can't see the webservices call from the web/presentation tier/server to the application/business tier/server?  Now there's 2 applications install on these machines, e.g. App1 (upgraded from .NET 2.0 to 3.5) and App2 (a new 3.5 app).  App1 shows me the webservices, and the web.config file you can see that it uses .asmx to make the calls to the backend.  App2 does not show the webservices and the web.config show .svc extension for calls to the backend.  Any ideas?  thanks.

• 2.  Re: 3.5 .NET framework webservices

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 04, 2010 02:23 AM
    Hi Nara,If I am not mistaken, there is a possiblity that App2 uses WCF and OOTB WCF services can not be instrumented.  From .net readme file:  " Lack of out-of-the-box metrics collection for WCF services (id 40810). To instrument WCF (Windows Communication Foundation) classes you must identify the classes with explicit directives . "  I hope this helps,  Regards,  Sergio

• 3.  Re: 3.5 .NET framework webservices

Posted Mar 08, 2010 12:13 PM
    Thanks Sergio...  I actually got hold of the Agent Extension for WCF (kb2123). Unfortunately I ran into some issues there...I'm raising a call with support now...  Has anyone else ran across this issue (from the Event Logs):  An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:
    System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly ' WebServices.Observer , Version=8.2.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=99330fac7173009e' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
        at com.wily.powerpack.webservices.extension.MessageInspector.System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.IDispatchMessageInspector.AfterReceiveRequest(Message& request, IClientChannel channel, InstanceContext instanceContext)
        at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.AfterReceiveRequestCore(MessageRpc& rpc)
        at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.AfterReceiveRequest(MessageRpc& rpc)
        at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc& rpc)
        at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage1(MessageRpc& rpc)
        at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)  When I did the install, it put the following file the CAG: WCFServices.Observer. I tried to change the name of the webservices.observer.dll to wcfservices.observer.dll and load that to the assembly folder...but that did not work...

• 4.  Re: 3.5 .NET framework webservices

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 09, 2010 12:38 AM
    Hi Nara,  Thank you for the update.  Two additional suggestions: a) Review Agent extension configuration and   b) update aspnet.config as your  Introscope Agent is newer than 8.1.0.0, see below for a summary.  I hope this helps,  Regards,  Sergio  -------------------------a) Stop the monitored app  b) Open a command prompt.Go to the (Parent Directory of )\UninstallerData\dotnet.
    This is typically where the wilyregtool is located, and the full path typically looks like this:
    Use wilyregtool command to register the WebServices.Observer.dll.
      wilyregtool "C:\Program Files\CAWily\Introscope \wily\bin\WebServices.Observer.dll"  c)Modify the .NET Framework configuration.
    To configure the .NET Framework for Introscope SPM, you must modify the .NET Framework configuration.
    For more information about .NET Framework configuration, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1xtk877y(VS.71).aspx.  

i. Locate the machine.config file, which is typically located in the C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\vx.x\CONFIG directory, where vx.x is the .NET version.
    For example, the directory for .NET 1.1 might be v1.1.4322 and the directory for .NET 2.0 might be v2.0.50727.ii. Make a backup of the machine.config file and store the backup file in a secure location.iii. Open the machine.config file and search for .
    You should find under . If you do not, type under . It should look like this:

iv. Search for . You should find under . If you do not, type under . It should look like this:

v. Add this code below .

, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=99330fac7173009e" group="0" priority="3" />

vi. Save the machine.config file.  
    IMPORTANT:
    -- Whenever you upgrade the Introscope Agent, the machine.config file will also require updates. See Appendix A of the SOA Performance Management documentation for details.  --If the Introscope Agent version installed is higher than 8.1.0.0, you must also update the aspnet.config file, as shown below.  If you install or upgrade the Introscope .NET Agent to a version later than 8.1, in order for the .NET Agent extension to work you must make these configuration changes to redirect dll’s. If you do not do this, then you might receive an error similar to the one you described:  " System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly .. ..."To redirect dll’s for Introscope .NET Agent versions later than 8.1:  1. Find the aspnet.config application server configuration file used by the IIS application server.  a. In Windows, choose Start -> Run to open the Run dialog box.
    b. In the Run dialog box Open field, type Microsoft.NET, then press OK.
    c. Go to the Framework\vx.x.xxxx directory, where vx.x.xxxx is the .NET version. For example, the directory for .NET 1.1 might be v1.1.4322 and the directory for .NET 2.0 might be v2.0.50727.
    d. Search for the aspnet.config file. In most cases, the config file will be found in the v2.x directory.  2. Modify the .NET Agent configuration in the aspnet.config file by adding the lines shown in bold below, where is the new Introscope .NET Agent version, and is the Introscope installation directory:

upgradedAgentVersio n>" />
              upgradedAgentVersion >" href="file:/// Agent_Home >\\bin\\wily.Agent.dll"/>

Note: In order for the .NET Agent to work properly, the statement
    must be inside .
    In addition, must be under .  3. Restart the IIS application server.

• 5.  Re: 3.5 .NET framework webservices

Posted Mar 15, 2010 02:57 PM
    Thanks Sergio,  I'll try this as soon as I can get my hands on the servers...  They have resolved their perfermonce issues by increase CPU and Memory on the virtual servers...but I'd still like to see if I can get those metrics...  will update post when I get a chance...