DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Has anyone instrumented a WebLogic 10.3 JVM yet?

Posted Mar 24, 2010 05:20 PM
    I'm just wondering because one of our sys admins indicated that there is a definite leak somewhere in the app server and it seems to only happen when the Introscope agent is introduced.   Any others using it or with info, I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks

• 2.  Re: Has anyone instrumented a WebLogic 10.3 JVM yet?

Posted Mar 24, 2010 06:01 PM
    I guess I should provide more details eh?  We are running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5; Weblogic 10.3 and Java 6

• 3.  Re: Has anyone instrumented a WebLogic 10.3 JVM yet?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 25, 2010 12:27 AM
    Hi,We have many customers using this type configuration.  If you are using Introscope 8.2.x: Make sure in the IntroscopeAgent.profle, you set introscope.agent.reduceAgentMemoryOverhead=true  If you are using Introscope 7.2.x and you are using JMX collection, then it could be the cause of the problem, disable it.  Other possible causes:  a) Incorrect jvm settings: In certain circumstances, you need to update your heapsize and permanent generation space when wily is enabled.  b) High number of metrics reported or being monitored by Introscope: run the same test using only the base agent without any agent extension - as explained below. If the problem does not occur with the base agent, you must then introduce back each component one by one until you reproduces the problem:- Disable any custom pbd.
    - using InstanceCounts on too many classes, if applicable.
    - Disable any additional agent extension such as leakhunter, ChangeDetector and any PowerPack, by removing the appropriate pbds and agent jar extensions. LeakHunter will certainly increase the memory requirements
    - Disable JMX metric collection in the IntroscopeAgent.profile:
    introscope.agent.jmx.enable=false
    - Disable platform monitor - see Agentguide.pbd, Configuring platform monitor chapter.
    - Disable SQLAgent by removing the AGENT_HOME/ext/SQLAgent.jar out of the AGENT directory.
    - Set clamps for metrics and sql metrics in the IntroscopeAgent.profile:
    introscope.agent.metricClamp=15000    If the problem persist, after applying the above changes, please open a suppor ticket.Make sure to to include the following info:- operating system, application server jvm  exact versions. Is it sun/jrocket? 32/64bit?
    - zipped content of the AGENT_HOME/logs directory
    - generate a series of 5 thread dumps spaced 5 -10 seconds apart when the problem occurs. For more details see:
    https://support.wilytech.com/cgi-bin/wilytech.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=175
    - generate a heapdump. For Sun JVM, add the following jvm switch: -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError in case the jvm run OOM
    - Enable GC log. For example, for Sun JVM, add the following jvm switches: -Xloggc: .log -XX:+PrintGCDetails
    - Startup script/application configuration file so we have clear picture of your jvm settings and how the agent has been configured.  Regards,  Sergio

• 4.  Re: Has anyone instrumented a WebLogic 10.3 JVM yet?

Posted Mar 25, 2010 08:16 AM
    Thank you Sergio/all,  I've said this before and I will continue to say it....I couldn't be happier about the online CA community (Wily specifically) and all of the people who dedicate their time to help others out.   Its incredible that my questions continue to be answered in most cases less than 24 hours from when I posted them.   It is greatly appreciated, keep up the awesome work!!!!!  I wil mark this as the accepted solution because in a sense all I wanted to know was "is anyone running it" and as usual my expectations were far exceeded.  Thank you again.