DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

JVM startup parameters

• 1.  JVM startup parameters

Posted Jun 24, 2014 04:16 AM

Guys,

Do you know any plugin/extension that can be used to show on APM from the Java Agent, which parameters were used during startup?

Cheers,

Alexandre

• 2.  Re: JVM startup parameters
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 24, 2014 06:59 AM

our custom build Java 1.5 1.6 GC Monitor module has a live metric which displays all the JVM Flags. but in the new GC Monitor it seems that the feature is not available.

i have created a idea in parallel Addition to GC Monitor - JVM Flags to already created feature requests for the GC monitor:

Addition to GC Monitor - Class Loading and Unloading Monitoring

Java Stack Space and Code Cache Monitoring

• 3.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 24, 2014 10:46 AM

I upvoted your idea. I thought that feature in the FP was great info.

• 4.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jun 26, 2014 05:31 AM

I remember that it was available somewhere..Any change to build a addon to the existing GC Monitor to cover it? Where is this old GC Monitor code available? I couldn't find it on the new Document Session..

How about we create a GitHub with all those plugins/scripts/tools? I've made several patchs to some pieces of code before and ended up losing it and not making it available to others..

Cheers,

Alexandre

• 5.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jun 26, 2014 07:37 AM

the fieldpack was provided by CA to us, i am not aware if we have the source. in addition we preffer if CA actualy supports it as a official feature instead of creating and especialy maintaining it ourselfs, which is why i created Addition to GC Monitor - JVM Flags.

our requirements in the past where:

- create a GC Monitor which monitors all Heap/non-Heap pools, all type of GCs with the according algorythm name,  %used in GC last 5minutes, (SUN JVM Only Heap in % after GC), JVM Flags, etc.

- multiple JVM vendors and versions supported in one module (SUN JVM 1.5 1.6 / IBM JVM 1.5 1.6 in particular)

- standardized presentation no matter what JVM

- it should cope with the diffrent features of the JVM provided (or not) and display the metrics dynamicly based on the JVM capability

the current GC Monitor partialy delivers this information and should be if possible extended by CA either by default or possible to enable with flags.

• 6.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jun 27, 2014 05:37 PM

+1 for the git - we probably could do better collaboration with epa pluggins. There might be some licence quirks and might have to be restricted to legit users.

• 7.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jun 29, 2014 09:13 PM

I don't see why such projects should be restricted - as far as we don't share any CA intellectual property and only code written by the community, it won't be a problem. There is already some code available on GitHub but only supported by their creators, without any contributions so far. It could be great to encourage other member of the community to share their projects and/or collaborate to others.

• 8.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 29, 2014 09:19 PM

I'm not trying to discourage members from collaborating. I think it's a great idea. There have been some discussions around it. I'm just not sure if Services folks will participate. My comments are not to be construed as company policy or decision, just my own take on how things are today.

• 9.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jun 29, 2014 09:59 PM

Hi Davis,

That is crystal clear - I have seen the collaboration occurring for years, especially from your end  - I just reckon it is time to adapt a better process/tools to support it. Doesn't need necessarily to be GitHub tough, we can use any CA internal solution - but it could be easier/faster to use a de facto standard that is already available and most of us here are already familiar with it.

• 10.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jun 30, 2014 01:36 PM

Hi,

If you use an API you have some restrictions (IP). Now the last thing you want is to download anything that's not fully working. There are also powerpacks (e.g. web servers) that could use some "help".

Overall there are many aspect of Introscope that is under invested where some folks mighte want to help, but requires more understanding than CA is willing to explain.

• 11.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 29, 2014 09:21 PM

Fred,

I've have already done some collaborative efforts for EPA as writing in Perl is different than Java in terms of obfuscating the code.

I can can certainly see doing more of that in the future.

• 12.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Sep 02, 2014 03:47 PM

Hi Alexandre and Community:

We've heard your request for a GitHub repository to use for collaborating on Field Packs!  It's a great idea.  I'm working through the process internally and will report back on what I find.

Cheers,

Chris Kline

APM Product Management

• 13.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jun 27, 2014 07:16 PM

I've actually written a similar extension that I called InputArgs that just creates a simple string metric with all the JVM startup arguments listed, with a custom TypeView for easy copy/paste. I can upload it, if anyone wants.

• 14.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 27, 2014 07:23 PM

Of course we do.

Somehow I don't think we can put company IP into git for the world to have access to (it).

• 15.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jun 29, 2014 09:14 PM

For Sure Jakbutler!

• 16.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jun 30, 2014 07:20 PM

I've uploaded this agent here; let me know if you're able to get it working.

• 17.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jul 08, 2014 05:08 AM

i personaly like the idea of sharing code in the community and we really should have a easy managable central place like git or so everyone is using and linked in to the community - maybe there is already something in jive we could use?.

but for the GC monitor i think CA should be the main provider of the features and maybe if we consolidate all the ideas they are more likely to work on the GC monitor?

i started a other discussion about this: What else is missing for GC Monitor

• 18.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jul 10, 2014 11:08 AM

I also like the idea of having a shared repository. I know there are separate efforts to add support for various Spring and Web Service Frameworks that could be unified and enhanced by community collaboration. And there are likely good shared libraries that could be built to make such development even easier for someone new to the community.

• 19.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jul 10, 2014 04:04 PM

is ther git for jive?

• 20.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 15, 2014 02:33 PM

MaryGreening SamCreek J.J.Lovett

Mary, Sam, and JJ,

Mary and I spoke about this prior to the changeover. Is there something in Jive that we can leverage with customers to interact on these types of development solutions?

• 21.  Re: JVM startup parameters

Posted Jul 16, 2014 07:04 AM

can we close this request as "resolved" with 2 responses: the idea and the custom code?

i have opend a question git for jive in the wather cooler community site