Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Query on PRLOCK

• 1.  Query on PRLOCK

Posted Jul 01, 2014 07:53 PM

Hello All,

Could please let us share few details on PRLOCK table-

1. We would like to know in which scenarios the Project gets locked. Recently we are observing Projects getting locked , But user are not sure how the Project got locked by their ID.
    2. Also please let us know the significance of PRCOUNT  and PREXTTYPE column in PRLOCK
    3. Is it feasible to schedule a script to delete the rows in the PRLOCK table.?

Thanks,

Syed

• 2.  Re: Query on PRLOCK

Posted Jul 02, 2014 08:10 AM

Syed - the most common reason for a project being locked is that it was checked out into OWB/MSP.  That is the "prImportExport" lock.

• 3.  Re: Query on PRLOCK

Posted Jul 02, 2014 08:27 AM

Hi Syed,

The prImportExport lock can also happen while the project is being modified in the Clarity Gantt itself. At that time, the PREXTTYPE column will be having the value GANTT instead of NULL.

Regards,

Georgy

• 4.  Re: Query on PRLOCK

Posted Mar 02, 2016 11:16 AM

I know there is a known bug related to modifying a schedule in OWB or MSP and that a patch is being developed. Will this patch help stop the project from locking while using the Gantt view as well?

• 5.  Re: Query on PRLOCK

Posted Jul 02, 2014 11:05 AM

Syed,

It's not a recommended approach to delete records from the PRLOCK table on a regular basis.  If a record is in that table, it is usually there for a reason and is used to protect data integrity. Deleting records from this table could lead to data errors in the future.

The only time I've had to delete records from that table is when there have been system issues that caused an interruption in service, which prevented Clarity from properly clearing locks.  I have seen this happen occasionally on Timesheets as well as projects, but guidance from CA support is recommended prior to deleting rows.

-Doug Kalkowski

WinMill Software

CA Clarity PPM training, hosting, consulting, and development services by WinMill Software

• 6.  Re: Query on PRLOCK

Posted Jul 02, 2014 11:15 AM

Syed,

These technical documents on the CA Support website also cover some instances of when there can be a lock present in Clarity.

Please have a look and l hope it helps.

Regards

Nitin

SAP NetWeaver Portal

https://comm.support.ca.com/?legacyid=TEC522900

https://comm.support.ca.com/?legacyid=TEC484045

• 7.  Re: Query on PRLOCK

Posted Jul 02, 2014 06:34 PM

Thank you All for sharing the details

Also could you please let me know the significance of the PRCOUNT Column ?

Thanks,

Syed

• 8.  Re: Query on PRLOCK

Posted Jul 03, 2014 04:35 PM

Have seen instances of projects getting locked when a change is made, say adding a resource to Team/Staff page, but Clarity doesn't immediately complete the action (wheel spins, user gets tired of waiting and navigates away).

If you are experiencing similar behavior, need to identify what is blocking the completion of this activity.  Involve a DBA at this point.  A DBA will be able to monitor blocking actions and possible solutions.  You may have things outside of the Clarity app that are contributing to this - drive configuration issues, corrupted indexes, etc.

By regularly clearing locks, you may be ignoring a serious problem.  We once had one bit wrong in a table, a bit that our users and IT team had no access to.  Took weeks to find, with a lot of help from CA and IT-ROI.  No one knows how the bit got changed.  Point is, locks can be set for several reasons besides open project in MSP/OWB/Clarity Gantt - these locks showed normally clear quickly, before anyone notices - if they aren't,  you may have a bigger problem that needs investigation.

Dale

• 9.  Re: Query on PRLOCK

Posted Jun 10, 2015 06:05 AM

Hi Friends,

Just out of curiosity: can anyone tell me what PRLOCK.PRCOUNT column refers to?

Just helpless as this table is not in the Tech Ref Guide

Regards,

Georgy

• 10.  Re: Query on PRLOCK

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 10, 2015 07:49 AM

This is what I see in the v7 document. This might have changed in the course of time, which I will have to test and confirm. For PRResource the prCount field is intended to hold the number of resources represented by the resource record. For PRLock, a count on the number of locks. It is used by the system to present the Manage Locks dialog box.

• 11.  Re: Query on PRLOCK

Posted Jun 10, 2015 08:43 AM

Hi Georgy,

While saving each object instances in Clarity, it is calling CMN_LOCK_SP and CMN_UNLOCK_SP for lock and unlock the current instance.

If you look at the stored procedure you can see the PRCOUNT column has predefined as "1". But some of the cases i found that there are different values like NULL,-1 and 1. Not sure why ca is using this column.

PRLock.png

Thanks,

Ram