Clarity

• 1.  CA Clarity PPM :: Project: Test for CA - Financial Plans - Cost Plans

Posted Jul 08, 2014 01:42 PM

Have learned that when creating a cost plan from a resource plan, that Clarity utilizes the Actual Cost from the Rate Matrix, not the Standard Cost.  Clarity support has told us that Standard Cost is 'legacy,' not used for anything.

We still utilize Standard Cost in our project cost planning and Actual Cost for calculating actuals.  Is anyone else still planning costs in the manner?

Personally, I can see where Standard Cost is useless - if my actual labor costs change significantly during the year, why would I continue to plan new projects with a standard rate that isn't close to the actual rate?

If your company is still using Standard Cost - why?  Is there justification for dropping Standard Cost in this day and age?  Looking at the reasons for using Standard Cost and the potential negatives (http://www.accountingtools.com/standard-costing), I could see why companies may be dropping it.  If your company isn't dropping it and you are trying to use Clarity to produce cost plans, what are you doing to work around the fact that Clarity doesn't use Standard Cost for anything?

Thanks,

Dale

Shared with Jive Anywhere

• 2.  Re: CA Clarity PPM :: Project: Test for CA - Financial Plans - Cost Plans

Posted Jul 09, 2014 05:18 PM

Hi All,

Any input here for Dale?

Thanks!

Chris

• 3.  Re: CA Clarity PPM :: Project: Test for CA - Financial Plans - Cost Plans

Posted Aug 22, 2014 12:37 PM

Hi All,

Any input her for me?

Would like to move the labor portion of this process into Clarity, utilizing 'create from resource plan' feature - but if we don't adopt Actual Cost for planning and Clarity won't let us pick Standard Cost for planning, then we are stuck forever in Excel. 

Thanks!

Dale

BTW:  There is another discussion on this same topic, unanswered:  Standard Cost on Rate Matrix

• 4.  Re: CA Clarity PPM :: Project: Test for CA - Financial Plans - Cost Plans

Posted Jul 27, 2015 02:18 PM

Still doesn't work correctly, nor as described in 14.2 Help.  I posted an update, my test results on Standard Cost on Rate Matrix.

Chris - would appreciate your help in getting Development to look at this - documentation says one thing and CA PPM operates differently - documentation describes correct operation - the way it should work.  CA PPM is still operating incorrectly.

• 5.  Re: CA Clarity PPM :: Project: Test for CA - Financial Plans - Cost Plans

Posted Jul 28, 2015 06:04 PM

Including Kathryn_Ellis in case she has heard of this issue. Might need to have case logged if it's a bug.

Dale Stockman wrote:

Still doesn't work correctly, nor as described in 14.2 Help.  I posted an update, my test results on Standard Cost on Rate Matrix.

Chris - would appreciate your help in getting Development to look at this - documentation says one thing and CA PPM operates differently - documentation describes correct operation - the way it should work.  CA PPM is still operating in correctly.

• 6.  Re: CA Clarity PPM :: Project: Test for CA - Financial Plans - Cost Plans

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 28, 2015 06:43 PM

Hi Dale,

I read the updated posting regarding the documentation conflict with the way the application is working.  it looks as if the DocOps Wiki page has been updated.

In my experience of working with the product it has never used the 'Standard Cost' field at all in populating cost plans 'planned' amounts ; it always used the 'actual cost' rate

The Standard Cost amount is retrieved and stored on the WIP tables, but when you view the data in the application it is always using the 'actual cost' for actual transactions, for planned amounts, and for earned value amounts.

I agree that if we have this data in the application , we could have more use for it.  I searched to see if there is an existing idea logged for improving the functionality so the Product Manager can review and comment.  I do not see an idea logged yet.

The Product Manager is the one to review and evaluate the features of the application.  Please log a new idea and let's get the ball rolling!

• 7.  Re: CA Clarity PPM :: Project: Test for CA - Financial Plans - Cost Plans

Posted Jul 29, 2015 10:36 AM

Kathryn,

I agree that the Standard Cost feature has never worked as told/described/sold.  Expect that if I could access ERQ's from previous versions, would find this topic there.

I will supply an idea.

Hope the Product Manager understands the dissatisfaction that this causes.

Dale