The Water Cooler

• 1.  Linking within documents

Posted Jul 16, 2014 07:07 AM

What is the best way to restore wiki like table of contents functionality with links to sections within the same document?

I was trying to restore the wiki like functionality on Alarming by using links to html bookmarks, but the platform does not treat this as expected. I ran into several issues:

• If you link to an id using <a href="#id"> in the html editor, it will change the link to /#id when the document is saved. So you have to include a hardlink to the document to make a working link.
    • If you type the href in the regular editor, it will convert the # part into a link to show a list of all content in the system tagged with #id, #id" or #id"> depending on if and when you click the tag suggestion.
    • The bookmarked section (using <a "#id"> in the html editor) will be formatted in the document as a non-functioning link. While normally the bookmark should be invisible, in this case it will have the color and mouse-over underlining of a link, but without the mouse pointer changing.
    • Even with the hardlink, the link doesn't seem to work (tested in Chrome and IE9). The page reloads and the id is shown in the url, but the page doesn't display at the point of the bookmark.

Are there any workarounds or fixes for these issues, or is there another way to achieve this functionality? The only other way I see is to split all these documents into multiple documents with one index page linking to them.