Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions

• 1.  Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions

Posted Jul 22, 2014 03:53 PM

Besides Project - Create rights, what rights are specifically needed to convert an Idea to a Project (includling financial plans).

I have a situation where I can convert an Idea to a Project with the Cost Plan getting converted, but a colleague of mine does the same thing and the Cost Plan does not get created (but the Project does get created from the Idea without any issues).  I've compared permissons and although I have "Project - Cost Plan - Edit (All)" as a Global Right and my colleague has "Projet - Cost Plan - Edit" as an OBS right (but he he using the correct OBS when creating the project).  I just can't determine what rights I might have that he does not have that would allow him to still convert the Idea to Project, but without the cost plan getting converted. 

Anyone have any ideas?

• 2.  Re: Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions

Posted Jul 22, 2014 04:04 PM

Convert an Idea into an Investment

1. Open an approved idea.

2. Click Convert.

The select investment type page appears.

Note: The investment types listed on the page are based on your access rights.

3. Select an investment type.

Note: When you select Project from Template, project properties, such as budget data, transfer to the idea. The properties transferred from the idea generally supersede the properties from the project template. After you convert the idea into a project, you can modify the project properties.

4. Select Copy Financial Properties and Financial Plans to include the financial data for the idea in the conversion to an investment.

5. Click Next.

The create page appears.

For example, for converting your idea into a service, the Create Service page appears. For conversions to a project from a template, select a project template.

6. Complete the fields on the page, and click Save.

Copying Financial Information

When you convert an idea into an investment, the Copy Financial Properties and Financial Plans option appears on the Select Investment Type page. When you select this option, the product copies the following items to the target investment:

■ The manually created cost plan (plan of record)

■ A benefit plan (if you associated one with your cost plan)

Whether you select or clear this option, the following items are never copied:

■ Cost plans that were created through the object actions

■ Cost plans that are not designated as the plan of record

■ Benefit plans that are not associated with the plan of record

■ Budget plans

■ Team information

Can you confirm that while conversion, the user follows the point 4 ?

NJ

• 3.  Re: Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions

Posted Jul 22, 2014 04:07 PM

Yes, absolutely, the box is checked (when I convert and when my colleague converts) to Copy Financial Plans/Financial Properties

• 4.  Re: Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions

Posted Jul 22, 2014 04:14 PM

Also, you checked that the below mentioned is not the case ?

■ Only a manually created cost plan (plan of record) can be converted to a target investment. A cost plan that you create using the methods Populated from Investment Team or Task Assignment is not converted.

NJ

• 5.  Re: Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions

Posted Jul 23, 2014 08:20 AM

That's correct.  Even though we do create the cost plan from the investment team, we are still adding other lines manually to the cost plan, and those manually-added lines should be converted.  They're getting converted when I do it, and not when my colleague does it.  That's what's weird.  Although I realize we have different sets of permissions (I have the global right and he has a right for an OBS via a group, but is using the correct OBS in both the Idea and Project), but I can't identify which right he's missing.

• 6.  Re: Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 24, 2014 01:47 PM

I figured out that providing "Project - Cost Plan - Edit All" rights to the group seemed to solve the problem, even though the group already has "Project - Cost Plan Edit" rights for the OBS that both the Idea and the Project are associated with.  Could this be a bug?  I can't quite figure out why it's behaving that way.

• 7.  Re: Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 21, 2015 08:17 AM
    Hi PJ. I see that Jared logged a case in support. We will look at this behavior and see if the code needs review by development. I think that perhaps the conversion action should 'save' the OBS unit on the new project before it tries to copy over the cost plan so that the security check will have the OBS unit info. Continue the discussion in the case and we can post an update to this thread later.

• 8.  Re: Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions

Posted Jan 21, 2015 08:58 AM

Thanks Kathryn, will wait to hear the conclusion of the ongoing discussion

NJ

• 9.  Re: Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 20, 2015 07:50 PM

The reason this may be occurring could be due to the configuration and sequence of events.

If you are using OBS level security access rights to allow the user to convert the idea to a project, the project will not have the OBS unit 'saved' before it tries to copy the cost plan from the Idea.  So the application tries to copy the cost plan, the project does not have an OBS unit saved yet and thus it sees that this user does not have the rights to do this action.

• 10.  Re: Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions

Posted Jan 21, 2015 12:10 AM

Thanks for the insight, Kathryn

NJ

• 11.  Re: Convert Idea to Project - Financial Plans permissions

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 20, 2015 12:42 PM

UPDATE: Based on the case work - this issue has been investigated and determined to be a potential code defect.

When converting an Idea into a Project, and using the OBS Unit level security model, the OBS Unit is not being saved into the new project before it attempts to copy the cost plan over and this is why the cost plan is not copied over.

If you encounter a similar behavior, reference CLRT-77099 when logging a case into support.

One identified workaround is to XOG out the Cost Plan on the Idea and XOG it into the new project - this might also be automated through a BPM process workflow.