1. How to implement CA EEM and LDAP for Authentication and Authorization of CA APM
Using CA EEM, CA Embedded Entitlements Manager, in conjunction with a supported LDAP Server, it is possible to eliminate manual updates to CA APM configuration files every time you need to add a new user, change a password or update access permissions.
CA EEM allows you to utilize a supported LDAP server for authentication while it controls authorization policies for LDAP users and groups. If you do not use LDAP, EEM can even perform authentication duties using the secure, proprietary CA Directory, which is included.
CA EEM is bundled with CA APM and is available from the APM Product Downloads Page on support.ca.com. It can be installed on the same or a separate server as the Enterprise Manager.. CA EEM supports many CA products, serving as a single point of control for authentication and authorization.
2. Do you require a license file to run APM 9.6 Enterprise Manager?
Description: Unlike older versions of APM, Release 9.6 EM does not require a license file to be deployed
3. About Introscope Agent Overhead
How does the Agent overhead distinct?
What is the methodology for measuring the Agent Overhead?
Where does this overhead come from?
How can one control this overhead?
4. CA Wily Technical Advisory: Native Memory Leak on IBM Java 1.6 when using -javaagent
Description: CA Wily Technical Advisory: Native Memory Leak on IBM Java 1.6 when using -javaagent
5. Smartstortools Help
Description: Best practices and examples for Smartstortools usage.
6. How To start APM Webview 9.1.x and 9.5.x in Linux
Description: This article will discuss how to start the APM Webview process in APM 9.1.x and APM 9.5 in Linux.
7. CA APM Technical Advisory: APM/Introscope 9.1.x Agent Transaction Structure Memory Leak
Description: Technical Advisory: APM/Introscope 9.1.x Agent Transaction Structure Memory Leak
CA Technologies has identified a memory leak issue with CA APM/Introscope 9.1.x agents that can have an operational impact for our customers. This technical advisory describes the affected versions and platforms in more detail, and explains the workarounds or remediation actions that are recommended to prevent this issue from impacting your application environments
8. CA Wily APM security example: CA SiteMinder for authentication with CA EEM for authorization (Legacy KB ID WLY 2449)
Description: CA Wily APM security example: CA SiteMinder for authentication with CA EEM for authorization
9. Troubleshooting a 9.1.x .Net Agent Installation
Description: This article will discuss basic steps that can be taken to troubleshoot a 9.1.x .Net installation.
10. [Harvest Engine Pooled Worker] NullPointerException errors in the APM MOM log file: Unable to process data for Time
Description: The IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.log file on the MOM contains many of the following format errors:
[ERROR] [Harvest Engine Pooled Worker] [Manager] Unable to process data for Time: 1390302615000, Frequency: 15s, Count: 0 java.lang.NullPointerException there are no such errors reported on the collectors
11. APM Cluster Performance Health Check
Description: The Perflog can reveal much about the health of the Collectors in a cluster. This article discusses the most easily diagnosed issues. For a complete analysis, CA Services should be engaged for a comprehensive health check.
12. Example of increased Smartstor Duration due to disk I/O contention related to Transaction Trace activity
Description: Enterprise Manager data processing has to complete in under 7.5 seconds otherwise there will be issues with the way data is displayed and stored.
If either or both the Harvest and Smartstor Duration are taking too long, you may start to see gaps in data where the Enterprise Manager delays data processing to keep up.
The whole Harvest and Smartstor process involves the collecting of data from agents and calculators, updating alert statuses, returning query data and then the writing of that data to disk.
The Enterprise Manager waits for the writing of data to be completed before harvesting again. This is why the two are important to each other.
One way that the Smartstor Duration can be affected is if there are other concurrent disk operations, for example writing transaction trace data to disk.
13. How can I delete a large number of users or usergroups at one time?
This is the typical way to delete a usergroup from APM CE:
To delete a user group:
Select Administration > User Groups.
On the User Groups tab, select the check box for the user group that you want to delete.
But the approach only allows deleting 25 users (on one page) at a time. Is there a way to do a batch delete of a large group of users (Such as 275,000)?
14. How to fix "unable to execute query" JDBC exceptions when trying to view some CEM web pages which are due to incorrect postgres APM database table ownership.
Description: If ownership of some tables in the postgres APM database (cemdb) is incorrect it can cause this type of error when trying to view data on a CEM web page:
Internal Application Error: JDBC exception on Hibernate data access; nested exception is org.hibernate.exception.SQLGrammarException: could not execute query
Checking the DEBUG MOM log should show the root cause and often this can be permissions related to permissions for a table (relation) e.g.
Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: permission denied for relation ts_defect_meta_values_20130218
NOTE: This type of error should not occur under normal operations where the ownership of all tables in the APM database (cemdb) should match the owner of the cemdb itself. By default that is the role "admin" which is the default username provided at cemdb install time.
If the username used in the tess-db-cfg.xml files is changed to be some other postgres role then new tables created for defects and stats. aggregation will be owned by the new role and that change can cause this type of problem.
15. Using Web Start Workstation with Java 7 u51 (Java7u51, Java 1.7.0_51-b13)
Description: A Technical Advisory has been issued to address problems starting the APM Web Start Workstation. The Advisory allows users to run the Web Start workstation with Java 7 u45, but does not work with Java 7 u51. This article updates the Advisory to allow users to run the Web Start workstation with the enhanced security present in Java 7 u51 and above by taking the additional step of reducing the Security Level from High to Medium.
16. Technical Advisory: Workstation Web Start Client Fails to Start with Java 7 Update 45 (Java 1.7.0_45), Java 6 Update 65 (Java 1.6.0_65), and Java 5 Update 55 (Java 1.5.0_55)
Description: CA Technologies has identified a potential issue with the CA APM/Introscope Workstation Web Start client with Java 7 Update 45 (Java 1.7.0_45), Java 6 Update 65 (Java 1.6.0_65) and Java 5 Update 55 (Java 1.5.0_55). This technical advisory describes the affected versions and platforms in more detail, and explains the workarounds or remediation actions that are recommended to prevent this issue from impacting your usage of CA APM.
17. .NET Agent OOM, High CPU - Checklist
18. How to configure Agent 9.5 with Weblogic 11g and Enable Remote JMX collection
19. How to download APM Software from support.ca.com
20. How to set up JBoss 6 EAP with the Introscope Agent and see JMX metrics
Description: This article discusses how to set up the Introscope Agent with JBoss 6 EAP and see JMX metrics. Please note that instructions for JBoss 7 AS differ and are addressed in a separate Technical Document.