Service Operations Insight

• 1.  CI Generation: Mandatory and Correlation Properties

Posted Aug 14, 2014 02:47 AM
      |   view attached

Challenge

When working with Connector Policies, especially using the SNMP Connector, or other CLIs to generate CIs in SOI, you often wonder what are the mandatory properties of a CI.

In addition, when multiple CIs get correlated to a single CI, you want to know the sequence of the properties that have to be filled for this process.

Solution

You can go to USM Web View (http://<SOI Server>:7070/ssaweb/home) and select "Create a new CI".

For every CI Type you get the full list of properties that you have to complete.

Be aware that some of the properties are based on enumerated lists, e.g. you can only use predefined values.

To see the order of Correlation Properties you can go to the file "usm-infradefaults.xml" in $SOI_HOME\\tomcat\registry\topology\logical\tenant0\usmschema and look at the lines <usm-meta:CorrelationDataPriorityList> for every CI.

Only if you have filled in the mandatory properties, as well as at least one of the Correlation properties, the CI will be generated successfully.

I have combined the information from the above two sources into a document, which you can find attached.

It is based on SOI 3.2 CUM2.

For further questions, please feel free to contact me on Michael.Boehm@ca.com

Michael

CA SWAT (SOI)

Attachment(s)

pdf
    SOI-CI Properties.pdf   309 KB 1 version

• 2.  Re: CI Generation: Mandatory and Correlation Properties

Posted Dec 06, 2017 06:52 AM

Hi Michael,

Long time no see. I have a question for you. I looking to create a new CI Class in SOI to represent AWS/Azure etcs. ie cloud providers but I don't want to use ComputerSystem ... would like to create a new class which carry their own icons for Topology/Tree view. I have looked at TEC566703 but that will apply across the board for a particular class. As a understand in USM Web View we will just create an instantiation of an existing class

Regards John

• 3.  Re: CI Generation: Mandatory and Correlation Properties

Posted Dec 07, 2017 05:52 AM

Hi John,

it is not possible to create new classes in SOI/USM.

There is much more than just adding a new name and new icons:

- every UI that refers to attributes of classes would have to be adopted to show the proper ones per class

- there are individual tables for every class in the database

- default significance and other default behavior would have to be defined in different parts of the system

- and finally, all Connectors would have to be adopted to cater for this class

MichaelBoehm

• 4.  Re: CI Generation: Mandatory and Correlation Properties

Posted Dec 07, 2017 07:09 AM

Hi Michael, Many thanks for the prompt reply

Regards John