Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Error Codes - 500 & 503

• 1.  Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 18, 2014 12:55 PM

Hi there,

I would like to know what Error Code - 500 and 503 actually means.

Error 500:

It says, "Out of memory - changes made by JVM" (something similar). But, I am not able to understand it. Is it because the security caches were not flushed? We stopped all the services and started them again. And, the CA Clarity PPM application started working fine. What exactly does this error mean?

Error 503:

It occurs when I use https://...action:xog.client for xog-in and xog-out. It throws some error that says, "Temporarily these features have been made inactive." (something similar). And, I cannot see the xog.client webpage. Has anyone come across this before?

Many Thanks,

Suhail.

• 2.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 18, 2014 01:10 PM

Error 500 - Can you paste the exact error you came across ?

Error code 503 - This is 'cause the xog.client feature has been taken out. It can cause performance issues. It is always advisable to use the command prompt instead of using the xog.client

NJ

• 3.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 18, 2014 02:46 PM

I like to thin Error 500 which you can get for various reasons is "Too technical to put in the GUI, go ask your admin to read the logs"

• 4.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 19, 2014 03:04 AM

Hi Navdeep and Urmas,

Thank you for your replies.

@Navdeep: Do you mean to say that the xog.client has been disabled by the CA Clarity Admin? If yes, is there any way it can be enabled again? Just to let you know that we are using the CA Clarity PPM v13. Also, the command prompt states that the CA Clarity PPM v13 works only with Java 7. So, this means that the xog.client can be enabled on the v13 of the CA Clarity PPM. Please let me know the steps of enabling this. Thanks once again.

Suhail.

• 5.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 19, 2014 03:41 AM

13.3 and XOG Client discussed a little here : RE: xog.client and V13.3

• 6.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 19, 2014 04:07 AM

Thanks Dave. But, I can see the xog.client UI enabled on the CA Clarity PPM v13.3 Training Server (Sandbox). How is this possible if xog.client feature has been removed from CA Clarity PPm v13.3? Pls refer the image given below.XOG_Image.jpg

Are there some proxy settings set up by the System Administrator that does not allow me to use the xog.client on the CA Clarity PPM v13.3 Dev and Test?

Thanks,

Suhail.

• 7.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 19, 2014 04:21 AM

Hi Suhail,

We can still enable xog.client in v13.3 in the following "unsupported" way.

Edit the  ...\niku\META-INF\xog\wmd\xog.xml  file to reflect the below highlighted change:-

<pageAction id=""xog.client"" useSsl=""false"" policyId=""xogPerm"" active=""true"">

<retrieveService type=""xbl"" componentId=""xog"" description=""getOutput.xbl"" portletId=""xog.client""/>

</pageAction>

Bounce the clarity app service for this change to be effected.

This might be already done only in your Training server. Do the same in DEV and Test to get the xog.client.

Regards,

Georgy

• 8.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 19, 2014 11:46 AM

Thanks Georgy and thank you every one for your useful replies. I can use the command prompt to xog-in and xog-out data on the CA Clarity PPM v13.3 as also mentioned above by Navdeep. The only requirement is to have a Java 7 JRE installed on my local system.

Suhail.

• 9.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 21, 2014 04:10 PM

Just wondering why I don't get it

• 10.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 21, 2014 08:46 PM

Hi Urmas,

Did you try the steps I mentioned above? That should really enable it.

Regards,

Georgy

• 11.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 22, 2014 01:05 AM

Hi Urmas,

I used to get a similar error. You can try what Georgy has suggested. Or you can use the command prompt to xog data in and out as I've said above. Some information about this can be found at the link here.

Also, if you read above through Dave's comment, he had mentioned a link, which clarifies the reason to much extent of why the xog client feature is removed from the version 13 of the CA Clarity PPM tool. Below is a brief summary taken from that link;

“The Clarity is made up of different 'servlets' within the application service. The 'app' and 'nu' servlets were not intended to be used for XOG traffic and the page existed only as a developer shortcut. There is a large burden placed upon these ervlets for XOG traffic (by orders of magnitude in memory compared to the 'xog' servlet) because it was never meant for end-user use. This would result in many instances of Clarity server outages that would make the system unavailable in the best case, and in worse cases result in lost work/data. In some cases even an XML file that is under 20MB in physical size could cause a thread in the app servlet to exceed 1GB to process. There have been a number of changes to XOG behaviour in 13.3 all intended to improve the overall user experience, of which this was one.”

Suhail.

• 12.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 22, 2014 07:09 AM

Both of you missed my point.

1. I am getting error 501 not 503

2 I took

"Thanks Dave. But, I can see the xog.client UI enabled on the CA Clarity PPM v13.3 Training Server (Sandbox)."

to mean the community sandbox from which my screenshot is.

Regarding the XOG on v13.3 I either use the command line client or  third party tools if I want to copy paste the xml.

• 13.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 22, 2014 07:24 AM

Urmas,

Look at my error image;

Image.jpg

I suppose both of the Error Codes are inter-related. The difference could be that I am getting this on the IE and you are getting it on Mozilla Firefox or something related to the initial installation of the CA Clarity PPM v13 tool.

In the case of using a CA Clarity PPM v13 Sandbox, you can certainly try what Georgy suggested. Yes, a command prompt or a third party tool can also make the xog to work on the v13 of the CA Clarity PPM tool.

Suhail.

• 14.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 22, 2014 07:36 AM

I am not disagreeing that you get Error 503, I am just saying  I am not

are you trying to prove that I am not?

Sorry to say I don't have the required access to the community sandbox v13.3 and I don't think anybody except the admin has, so can't try that if I wanted.

• 15.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 22, 2014 07:40 AM

I just wanted to inform you that both the errors - 501 & 503 have the same reason behind them. I am not trying to prove you wrong, so, let us not have any misunderstanding. Anyway I've marked this question as answered.

Thanks,

Suhail.

• 16.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 24, 2014 04:38 PM

I've got 501 in earlier versions for other reasons so I don't think they are exactly the same.

• 17.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 26, 2014 05:00 AM

Here are a couple of 501 errors which have nothing to do with XOG.client, the page simply ain't available.

• 18.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 26, 2014 07:04 AM

Urmas,

Looking at your image for Error Code - 501 (Not Implemented), I understand that when a certain feature has not been implemented within the CA Clarity PPM, the Error Code - 501 is what gets displayed. In our case, it is related to the XOG Client feature that has not been implemented and in some other cases, it may be related to that particular object or feature, which has not been implemented within the CA Clarity PPM.

On the contrary, Error Code - 503 (Service Unavailable) could be related to a particular CA Clarity service or feature that has been made unavailable. It may be present within the database, but, it may have been disabled by the system administrator. So, there could be a possibility that as Georgy highlighted earlier about a way to enable the XOG Client on the CA Clarity PPM v13, but, it may be possible that after enabling this feature on v13, it may have been disabled by the system administrator. Hence, the Error Code - 503.

Suhail.

• 19.  Re: Error Codes - 500 & 503

Posted Aug 26, 2014 03:19 PM

Here is a sample of the 500 error

I was trying to preview a portlet, which worked quite OK on my test system, so it was just the Sandbox acting up.