DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

• 1.  I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

Posted Aug 21, 2014 04:48 PM

I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

• 2.  Re: I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 22, 2014 10:21 AM

If I understand correctly, you have an application that you are currently monitoring in Introscope and you want to create an alert that will notify you whenever the agent disconnects from the EM.

To do this, you can create a metric grouping using the Metric Grouping Agent Expression: (.*)\|Custom Metric Process \(Virtual\)\|Custom Metric Agent \(Virtual\) and Metric Expression of the format:  <HostName>\|<AgentName>:Agent Connection Status.  As long as the agent is connected to the EM, the value of that metric should be "2".  Whenever the agent loses communication with the EM, that value will drop to "1".  Once you have created the metric grouping, you can create a simple alert from that metric grouping using the "Less Than" Comparison Operator and assign whatever Actions are appropriate to notify appropriate groups that the Agent has disconnected.

• 3.  Re: I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 22, 2014 10:32 AM

Hi Afzaal,

We have a technical advisory published explaining Robert approach, you can see it by going to below link:

SAP NetWeaver Portal

https://comm.support.ca.com/?legacyid=TEC593253

Thanks,

Jose

• 4.  Re: I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

Posted Aug 22, 2014 11:02 AM

I should also mention that the values for the Agent Connection Status metric may be different from the ones I listed, depending on which version of Introscope your EM is running on.  The values that I listed for the Agent Connection Status metric are for the 9.5 version of Introscope.  If you look at Jose's KB article you will see that his values are valid for the 9.0 & 9.1 versions.  For versions prior to 9.0, the Metric Grouping Agent Expression and Metric Expression vary slightly from what we listed.

• 5.  Re: I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

Posted Aug 24, 2014 01:09 PM

Thanks Bob and all..I am going to implement it

• 6.  Re: I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

Posted Aug 24, 2014 11:14 PM

Hi All,

I am sorry to ask you experts simple question but I am new to Introscope.

I created metrics in Management module.

Please let me know how I can add my application in FRONTENDS>>APPS

and then I have to add my link that is in .html

Thanks in advance

• 7.  Re: I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

Posted Aug 25, 2014 12:42 AM

Hi ,

I will suggest you to go through the Overview guide (CA APM Overview Guide) which will help you to know what steps you need to follow.

Regarding the above query, first you need to bring the data onto your Investigator. And to bring that, you need to deploy concerned agents depending upon your platform ( most commonly Java Agent ).

To deploy it, you may consult this document - CA APM Java Agent Implementation Guide

Once you have this implemented with corrct JVM arguments , you will start getting the application( as well as URL's) details under frontends.

Post which, you can create the metric grouping and set an alert.
    Please let us know if you need more elaboration.

Regards,

Vaibhav

• 8.  Re: I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

Posted Aug 26, 2014 04:16 PM

Hi Vaibhav,

Thanks for the response, it really helped.

Just need some more advise:

1- I  have some collectors and MOM servers.

2 -IntroscopeAgent9.5.1.unix.bin file.

3- have application server.

I want to Install Java Agent to monitor my application link in GUI mode.

Please suggest some basic steps if possible.

The scenario is

I have that application server in Introscope Investigator already ,There are some agents are also there but I need to add some additional Agent to configure my  link to monitor SSL exceptions and want alert if any HTTP 500 etc error.

Help me in learning the stuffs.

Thanks for the links in previous comment it is very helpful.

• 9.  Re: I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

Posted Aug 27, 2014 11:53 AM

Anybody pls help.

• 10.  Re: I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

Posted Aug 28, 2014 04:54 AM

Hi Afzal,

Looking at your scenario, it seems that you are only interested in monitoring the HTTP errors for your application.

Under Frontends->Apps->ApplicationName:Errors Per Interval is the location where you can see metric changing once you have any exception or error occuring in your application ( on frontends ).

But the problem is, this will be including your IOException, SQLexceptions, JSP Exceptions etc apart from the HTTP or SSL errors. So whenever any of these errors or exceptions occurs, value of "Errors Per Interval" metric increases by that value. So you will not be able to pin point whether it is HTTP error or some other exception.

What can be done is, you can restrict wily to catch all exceptions or errors if occuring using "errors.pbd" file. This config file tells agent what errors it will be capturing and reporting it to you. So you can enable only "HTTP Error Codes" section and disable the other. ( by default every error codes are enabled ). Also I am supposing that you have fair knowledge of tracers and PBD's.

Once done, metric "Errors Per Interval" will only report about the HTTP error codes if occurring. Post which, you can set alert mail on top of it.

Hope I clarified what you are looking for.

Regards,

Vaibhav

• 11.  Re: I want to add Introscope Monitoring on my application link...when link is down Introscope should through an alert..It is a workstation not cloud....Please guide me

Posted Sep 01, 2014 09:46 PM

Thanks a lot Vaibhav got it.

I am summarizing corect me if I am wrong.

So if  I enable only HTTP errors in errors.pbd as suggested and put alert on it,  then we can got alert once the link is down..correct?

and  there is no way in Wily introscope to catch the SSL exceptions especially.

There is other apps are there in my server so are they will also impact if I change errors.pbd file?

And last thing...I have clustred environment...so I have to install Java agent in MOM? or any collector..what is the target computer to install Java agent.