JMX Metrics not showing

Anon Anon

Anon AnonSep 01, 2014 03:06 AM

Anon Anon

Anon AnonSep 18, 2014 08:09 AM

• 1.  JMX Metrics not showing

Posted Aug 29, 2014 04:30 AM

Hi All,

I am using Java agent 9.5.5 on websphere 8.5 with 1.7 JVM. I have enabled the JMX metrics in the IntroscopeAgent.profile and JMX is also enabled on the Websphere but still i am not getting any metric for the same

Please help!!

Thanks

GB

• 2.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2014 04:53 AM

Hi GB,

Did you create the Websphere custom service to get the JMX metrics? See "Configure a Custom Service in WebSphere"  in the Java agent guide.

Cheers,

Jose

• 3.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Posted Aug 29, 2014 05:07 AM

Hello Jose

Thanks for the quick response, I was looking for the default JMX settings as what Tomcat shows.

For Websphere 8.5 Do I need to create custom webservice for default services.

Thanks

GB

• 4.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2014 05:11 AM

Hello GB,

That´s correct. You would need to create custom service for the agent to report JMX metrics back to the EM, see exerpt from the guide:

Configure a Custom Service in WebSphere

You can create or modify a custom service in the WebSphere Application Server. The custom service enables the Java agent to collect additional information from the application server. If you configure a custom service, the Java agent can automatically determine its name. The custom service also enables the Java agent to report JMX and Performance Monitoring Infrastructure (PMI) metrics. The Introscope Workstation on the Application Overview tab uses these metrics to determine application health. The custom service can encrypt the user credentials that you want to use to access JMX metrics in CA Introscope®.

Hope it helps

Cheers,

Jose

• 5.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Posted Aug 29, 2014 05:54 AM

Hi Jose

I have gone thru the document, but not able to locate the JMX.properties file in common folder.

Thanks

GB

• 6.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2014 06:22 AM

Hi GB,

I realised it is a doc bug. JMXConfig.properties was a specific feaature developed in 9.2 version timeframe but dropped in 9.5 version (there is a doc bug opened to fix it). The reference of jmxconfig.properties will be removed.

Regards,

Jose

• 7.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Posted Aug 29, 2014 06:32 AM

Hi Jose

That means still we have to create custom service on Websphere or it will automatically fetch jmx Metrics.

Thanks

GB

• 8.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2014 06:35 AM

HI GB,

You still need to create the custom service but ignore "External Configuration URL", just leave it blank.

Cheers,

Jose

• 9.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Posted Aug 29, 2014 06:41 AM

Thanks Jose

I will check and let you know.

Thanks

GB

• 10.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Posted Aug 29, 2014 01:41 PM

Untitled.tifHi Jose

I have checked and seen we need to enter some specific External  Url and Classpath and classname, I am bit confused what to enter in these field.

Thanks

GB

• 11.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Posted Sep 01, 2014 03:06 AM

Hi

Any help!!

Thanks

GB

• 12.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2014 06:09 AM

Hi,

Jose pointed to the part of the documentation that lists the parts you need to enter, relating to creating a custom service in WebSphere.

The classname should be: com.wily.introscope.api.websphere.IntroscopeCustomService

The classpath has to point to the WebAppSupport.jar, which will be in the common folder of the agent.

The display name is whatever you want to call the service, this is only required by WebSphere.

The other properties are neither required by WebSphere nor us.

Thanks,

David

• 13.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Posted Sep 01, 2014 06:54 AM

Thanks David for the prompt response

I will check and let you know.

Cheers

GB

• 14.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 08, 2014 10:54 AM

Hi,

If you're still not seeing them, try copying the WebAppSupport.jar file from common to the ext directory, make the corresponding change in server.xml (or in the UI), and then restart websphere.

Regards,

Matt

• 15.  Re: JMX Metrics not showing

Posted Sep 18, 2014 08:09 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for the support.

Rgds,GB