Clarity

• 1.  Possible FTE Calculation Error

Posted Aug 29, 2014 01:20 PM
      |   view attached

My expectation is that the FTE calculation is a comparison of the Resource Availability, as defined by the calendar assigned to the resource, vs. the Availability as defined by the Standard calendar. Basically, if the Standard calendar expects 184 hours in a given month  to be worked, and the resources is on a part-time calendar calling for 92 hours in the same given month, then the FTE value for this resource for the given month ought to be 0.50.

I've got a department, where the resources have been constant, all year - no new hires, not leavers.  The number of work days and  shift hours from the Standard Calendar and US Calendar are shown below.  In the third column set, I'm calculating the expected FTEs based on the 5 heads that reside in this department.  The Clarity FTEs column contains data read from the Aggregation-Capacity line of the Department\Resources list view, shown below.

Half the FTE numbers produced by Clarity match my expectations.  Those that don't, show in red.  Note that where the Standard and USA calendars both have 21 days, Clarity is reporting different FTE results 5 FTEs for Mar and Aug, 5.52 FTEs for Jun.

The USA calendar never has more work days or shift hours than the Standard calendar - USA calendar always has same or less.  Therefore, how can one get an FTE results higher than 1.0? Why do the Clarity FTEs not match expected results?

Either my expectations are wrong (I'm not using the right equations; does booked overtime inflate historic capacity?), or the capacity slice is in error - would refreshing it make things right?

Taking Chris' favorite line, "Does anyone have any ideas for Dale?"

Thanks,

Dale

ClarityFTECalc-PossibleError.gif

CA Clarity PPM  Department BRK-LIV-Quality - Resources - Windows Internet Exp_2014-08-29_13-10-23.gif

Attachment(s)

• 2.  Re: Possible FTE Calculation Error

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 21, 2014 04:48 PM

Dale,

Since the FTE definition states it is based on a full time schedule, not a specific resource's schedule the calculation is correct. If the resource works 20 hours a week would you consider them a full time employee?

Clarity uses 8 hours a day for the FTE.  The IRS uses 2080 (40*52) hours/year for FTE calculations.

• 3.  Re: Possible FTE Calculation Error

Posted Sep 21, 2014 07:17 PM

Hi there,

I had a similar question in my other post https://communities.ca.com/message/241707552?et=watches.email.thread#241707552

We have users from two different countries (NZ and Aus) with different holidays, and hence different calendars in Clarity. Does your explanation (and urmas's comment in my post) mean that FTE calculation will only work with only one of them? The others will have to use hours/percentage/days. I am assuming here that we can have only one standard calendar.

Regards,

Akhil

• 4.  Re: Possible FTE Calculation Error

Posted Sep 22, 2014 01:44 PM

wileI06,

"If the resource works 20 hours a week would you consider them a full time employee?"

No:  If my 5 resources were on a part-time shift calendar, one that resulted in 4 hours/day, I would expect FTE(Avail) = 84/168*5=2.5.  Also, if my resources were on a part-time day calendar, one where they worked 8 hours a day, M-W (13 days in Jun), I would expect 104/168*5=3.1 FTE(Avail).

From Clarity "Help" -  Full-time equivalent (FTE) is a method for normalizing data for full and part-time resources and is calculated
    based on the standard calendar. For example, the capacity of a part-time resource is counted as 0.5 FTE.

So for a given month, my expectation for availability is that if Hrs in Resource Calendar = Hrs in Standard Calendar, than FTE (Avail) = 1.0.

So, when my 5 resources on the same calendar are available 8 hours a day in June and August, months with the same number of work days, no holidays, why do I get different results?

• Jun:  FTE(Avail)=168/168*5=5.53
    • Aug:  FTE(Avail)=168/168*5=5.00

IRS number is irrelevant.  Calendar assigned to resources has not been personalized by resources.  Timesheet start dates all before 2011; timesheet end dates all blank; all resources in dept are active - no inactive's to worry about.

Yes, I can change the Resource Availability number on Resource Properties page and see an instant change in my available FTE's.  But, have also been told -- "Don't do that - as this will mess up the calendar based FTE results."

Even so, let's just use Resource Availability:  Jun and Aug months and resource settings are identical - why different results?

The 5.00 makes sense.  5.53?  This equates to 1.08 hrs additional availability per resource in Jun vs. Aug - makes no sense.

• 5.  Re: Possible FTE Calculation Error
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 22, 2014 03:23 PM

Dang - just found the answer.

All my logic is correct.

However, have found an admin error.  Our Standard calendar has been unchecked as being the standard calendar.  Appears a BU administrator, responsible for maintaining their BU/Country calendar checked the 'standard' box on their local calendar.

Their August and our August has the same number of work days - so, I see the correct 5.00 FTEs.  Their Jun has 2 less work days, resulting in 5.53 FTEs.

All makes sense.  Doh!  Wish we had an audit trail on calendars, but the list of perpetrators won't be long.  Perhaps there exists an Idea in this:  Make setting the standard resource calendar a separate right, one that can be removed from BU (business unit) calendar administrators and retained only by central Clarity app support.  Alternately, we may need to remove this right from all BU Clarity admins and have them submit changes to the central Clarity app support team from now on.

Thanks for the feedback - sharing the problem, having a discourse helped me critique everything and get to the root of it.

Dale