Clarity

• 1.  Department cannot be deleted

Posted Sep 03, 2014 07:47 AM

Hi All,

In our Clarity Cleanup process, we have selected Department OBS Units without any Projects and we are going to delete the Department OBS, but we are getting followng error message!!!

"Error :This department cannot be deleted because it is in use on an entity, investment, resource, financial plan, or transaction"

A quick help on this may appreciated.

And can anyone suggest us to remove Department OBS in bulk/ any easy way.

Regards,

Subhashini

• 2.  Re: Department cannot be deleted

Posted Sep 03, 2014 08:10 AM

Hi Subhashini,

What is your Clarity version? We are on v13.3 and I don't even see the option to delete a Department OBS unit, once its linked to an Entity.

DEV  OBS .png

Regards,

Georgy

• 3.  Re: Department cannot be deleted

Posted Sep 03, 2014 08:19 AM

We are in V13.3

and trying to Delete it from Home side ...that is Application  side... Departments.

Regards,

Subhashini

• 4.  Re: Department cannot be deleted

Posted Sep 03, 2014 08:27 AM

obs error.png

• 5.  Re: Department cannot be deleted

Posted Sep 03, 2014 08:44 AM

You need to make sure that it is not associated with basically anything else (as mentioned in the error message - one of the most descriptive messages that you'll get from Clarity, actually).  Validate that the Department OBS is not used on any investment (project, idea, etc) or resource record.  You can check this in the database, or, using the list views for the particular object.  Make sure that all financial plans and transactions are not associated with the Department either.  Delete the OBS nodes that correspond to the Department.

One thought - you might not be able to delete a Department if it's the ONLY department, but that's just a guess, as I've never seen a scenario where I was trying to delete the only department.

• 6.  Re: Department cannot be deleted

Posted Sep 03, 2014 10:05 AM

I agree with you...but we could able to delete some of the departments only for few we are getting this error...

Regards,

Subhashini G

• 7.  Re: Department cannot be deleted

Posted Sep 16, 2014 09:58 PM

Assuming you're not using Chargebacks:

Check Home > Departments > pick your department > Investments tab > click on Show All

Do the same on the department's Resources tab

Go to the Locations sub page for this department, de-link the location. You may get an error here if the department-location pair is used in places like transactions

Query the ppa_wip table and see if the department is referenced in departcode, emplyhomedepart, and project_department columns

query the prj_obs_associations table to see where else it's used.

• 8.  Re: Department cannot be deleted

Posted Sep 16, 2014 10:12 PM

I drafted this up a while ago and never got time to finish it, but here it is for what it's worth

Can I delete a department or location?

The only time when a department can be deleted is when it is not associated to investment, resource, location, chargeback rules, not referenced in ppa_wip, and not used in financial plans (in 13.x) .

To check if a department/location is referenced in WIP, run the following query:

select project_code from ppa_wip

where DEPARTCODE = 'YOUR_DEPARTMENT_CODE'

or EMPLYHOMEDEPART = 'YOUR_DEPARTMENT_CODE

or PROJECT_DEPARTMENT = 'YOUR_DEPARTMENT_CODE

group by project_code

If it returns a non-zero value then the reference exists

The only time a record is removed from WIP is when the Purge Financial Tables  job is run against the project. The job permanently delete financial plans and financial transactions (WIP) from the selected project. WIP reversal, adjustment, or transfer will not do it

To check if a department/location is used in any financial plan, run the following query:

I dont' have it yet, if you have one ready please put it here (it would be similiar to what I've posted in my Tuesday Tip today)

To see if any investment or resources are associated to the department or location:

Go to the Department or Location properties page > Investments tab, click Show All; do the same on the Resources tab.

On any investment or resource instance shown on the tabs, you can change the department and location values from the financial properties page. For investments you can only change department to another one within the same entity if the investment has any financial plan; you would also need to make sure this investment doesn't have any transaction on the Invalid Transactions page, or waiting to be posted to WIP

finally, the query against prj_obs_associations would be something like (warning: this query has not been tested, but just to give an idea of which tables to look into):

select poa.table_name TypeOfAssociation, poa.record_id InternalIDOfTheAssociatedInstance, pou.name, pot.unique_name OBSName

from prj_obs_associations poa, prj_obs_units pou, prj_obs_types pot, prj_obs_object_types poot, entity e

where poa.unit_id = pou.id

and pou.type_id = pot.id

and pot.id = poot.type_id

and e.org_chart_obs_type_id = pou.type_id

and pou.unique_name = 'DEPT001' --the code of the department

the associations table stores investments, resources, as well as locations that a department obs unit is associated to, see the Tech Ref guide for details.

• 9.  Re: Department cannot be deleted

Posted Sep 17, 2014 08:57 AM

Thanks Connie for sharing this

NJ

• 10.  Re: Department cannot be deleted

Posted Jan 12, 2018 03:53 AM

We have a case where we want to remove Department OBS of a resource. But when we are trying to do in UI, Clarity does not allow to do that. Once we Remove  and Save, Department OBS again assigned.

So Any suggestion on this?

• 11.  Re: Department cannot be deleted

Posted Jan 12, 2018 10:59 AM

We have similar issue – resource moves to another part of the company, still using CA PPM, but to a part that doesn’t use departments, locations, financials.

As a workaround, we’ve created a “Financials not used” department and location.  We move the affected resources to this ‘fake’ department and location and disable financials and time entry for the resource.

This at least removes the resource from the real departments/locations, allowing department managers to see only those resources that are really in their departments.

Dale