Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

• 1.  How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Sep 03, 2014 12:13 PM

Is anyone aware of how to update the Pending Estimate field in the Assignment (prPendEstSum)?

We are doing some automation around timesheeting and need to be able to modify this value through scripts.

I have tried using the project / assignment xog script and modifying the 'pendEstSum' value, but it doesn't update.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrea

• 2.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Sep 04, 2014 02:30 AM

Hi Andrea,

Thats surprising!!! I just did two xogs of the same project, doing edits to this Proposed ETC attribute of the Assignment of a task. The xog outputs are only different in one place - the value of the pendEstSum under TaskLabor tag under Assignments node. But still, as you said, an edit to this pendEstSum value and a xog back into Clarity is not changing its values in Clarity. Not sure why

Regards,

Georgy

• 3.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Sep 04, 2014 05:44 AM

Well, at least I know I'm not crazy!

• 4.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Nov 25, 2014 09:01 AM

Since there is no further discussion... does this mean it cannot be done?

Is it a bug in the Clarity XOG?

We are trying to do the same thing but were using the assignmentPendingEstimate attribute on the TimesheetEntry tag. No success.

Does anyone know the correct attribute to use to update the ETC via XOG?

• 5.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Nov 25, 2014 12:29 PM

Apparently that area has been unchanged for a while as the sample files in v13.3 XOG are from verions 6 and 7.

When you tried to write timeperiods (you can only write timesheets in v14.2) you used this structure

<TimeSheetEntry assignmentFinish="2002-07-12T17:00:00" taskID="~rmw" assignmentStart="2002-05-13T08:00:00" chargeCodeID="DEV" assignmentPendingEstimate="0" assignmentID="5000015" projectID="TIMESHTGAMES" assignmentEstimate="360"><DailyActuals><Actual actualDate="2002-06-02" amount="0"/><Actual actualDate="2002-06-03" amount="2"/>

and your userID had also enter time for the user in question?

When trying to write the assignment etc did you use the following structure

</Resource></Resources><Tasks><Task finish="2004-12-16T17:00:00" internalTaskID="5018150" key="false" lastUpdatedBy="sbutler" lastUpdatedDate="2004-09-16T11:03:00" milestone="false" name="Effort" orderID="1" outlineLevel="1" percComp="0" start="2004-09-16T08:00:00" status="0" summary="false" taskID="~rmw"><Assignments><TaskLabor actualWork="0" baselineWork="0" estPattern="3" finish="2004-12-16T17:00:00" lastUpdatedBy="sbutler" lastUpdatedDate="2004-09-16T11:05:34" remainingWork="528" resourceID="PRJ_COVRG_ASSIGN_RES1" roleID="PRJ_COVRG_ASSIGN_ROLE" start="2004-09-16T08:00:00" unpostedActuals="0"><CustomInformation/>

and again did the userID have the rights edit project plan among others?

• 6.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Nov 25, 2014 03:48 PM

In clarity a user has the ability to enter a modified estimate to complete when they are recording their hours. Once posted it is my understanding that the projects ETC is updated with this new value.

I am trying to mimic that functionality by passing a new assignmentPendingEstimate value (simulating the user entering the new value on the Timesheet in Clarity). It seems that this is either the wrong attribute to set when passing the Timesheet to Clarity or that it is not updating the value correctly in Clarity.

• 7.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Nov 25, 2014 04:11 PM

When a user enters or overwrites the ETC value on the timesheet that becomes pending ETC which is different from ETC (which is a project manager entered  value on the assignment) If no action is taken then the both values just remain as they are unless either the user or the PM changes his or her value.

The action to be taken is the project manager to accept the pending ETC which will result in the ETC value being replaced with the pending ETC value and pending ETC value being st to zero after that or

reject when the ETC will remain as it is and pending ETC will be set to zero.

Those actions are easily taken in OWB. There was a thread in 2009 on proposed ETC as it is called in Clarity. I don't recall if that tells how it is done in Clarity

https://communities.ca.com/message/2289638#2289638

• 8.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Nov 26, 2014 07:34 AM

I understand how it works in Clarity. I am trying to figure out how to pass the assignmentpendingEstimate value back to Clarity through XOG.

Everything I am trying does not update the pending estimate in the timesheet.

• 9.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Nov 26, 2014 08:24 AM

Why would you want to do that.

If you are the manager or the administrator you put your value in the assignment ETC field.

If you are trying to put it in the pending estimate field you are saying to the time tracker:

Oh no, you do no think that there are xx hours remaining on that task for you, you are wrong, you are thinking that there are yy hours remaining.

• 10.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Nov 26, 2014 08:33 AM

Because you want the resource who is working on the assignment to be able to either say, Hey, I'm done with my task and do not need any more hours. So they will set ETC to 0. Or , Hey, I need some more time to complete this task. So they will put a new ETC value in when they have expended all of the originally estimated hours. That way the project manager can apply that change to the project plan and adjust timelines accordingly.

That is why that field is on the Timesheet in Clarity and editable by the user.

Again, I am trying mimic that same functionality via XOG.

• 11.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Nov 26, 2014 08:43 AM

Yes I can see you understand how that is working. So what is the problem letting the timetracker do it himself or herself on the timesheet as designed?

• 12.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Nov 26, 2014 09:01 AM

We have a sepearate system where people enter payroll. We are implementing the ability to log time at the task level in that system and push the time to Clarity. So... we want to provide the ETC functionality as well to minimize the need for people having to visit 2 applications.

• 13.  Re: How to update the Pending Estimate field in Assignment?

Posted Nov 26, 2014 09:27 AM

OK, that half justifies it.

Apparently the PM's will be looking at the timesheets. If you cannot use the pending ETC there is no user text field either which the PM would see. There are the notes. Can they be used and can they be XOGed?