Symantec Access Management

• 1.  Cross site scripting

Posted Sep 05, 2014 07:19 AM

Hi All,

I'm going through some of the Security Vulnerabilities testing. In that, I'm injecting some arbitrary parameters in the SAML Request and accessing the modified SAML Request. Now, I wanted to stop any request which contains CSS characters. Can any one explain me how to do that?

I have entered 548fc"-alert(XSS)-"1ht19 , in the request and accessed, also enabled BadCSSChars="%22", CSSChecking=Yes, but still I can login to the Application. Siteminder is not blocking the request, Do I need to do anything esle?

https://<HOSTNAME>/affwebservices/redirectjsp/redirect.jsp?SAMLRequest=jZJRT4MwFIXf%2FRWk79Cu2%2BLWDJbpNJrMSAb64IspcCddWIu9BfXfC0OjxsT42Paec%2B69XxfL10PltWBRGR2SUcCIBzo3hdJPIblLL%2F0ZWUYnC5SHitdi1bhSb%2BG5AXTeChGs63TnRmNzAJuAbVUOd9tNSErnahSUFtAGBVRGOQdKa9PKXhE0SDOriiegvTNNklsqKyWRrofrJPY7pZ8km8cL7ZR7W%2FWvxFt3wUofPf6TIXe7F8hw6Atp3WSVyo%2BRHNEQ79LYHI5DhWQnKwTiXa9DIjkvy%2Bk%2BV7OS8xGM%2BemcSVmMWZbtYTLrijCWiKqFLxliA9candQuJJyNJj6b%2B2yajpjgXDAWzOeTB%2BLF1jiTm%2BpM6WHHjdXCSFQotDwACpeLZHWzETxgIhuKUFylaezHt0lKvPtPVrxn1dHTKAY6f3vVH8EkGmCKY8f2u8PfBvITN4l%2BQVrQ757Rx%2FHnf4neAQ%3D%3D548fc"-alert(XSS)-"1ht19&SMPORTALURL=https%3A%2F%2F<HOSTNAME>%2Faffwebservices%2Fpublic%2Fsaml2sso

Thanks,

Sandeep.

• 2.  Re: Cross site scripting

Posted Sep 05, 2014 08:50 AM

Sandeep,

SiteMinder only checks GET variables for BadURLChars, BadCSSChars and BadQueryChars.

In my experience SAML uses POST

I beleive this would be a useful Enhancement Request.

If you post it to the security group I will second.

-Josh

• 3.  Re: Cross site scripting
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 07, 2014 07:35 PM

Hi Sandeep,

I think what you need here is :BadQueryChars & BadUrlChars.

Have you already tried setting them ?

Cheers,

Ujwol

• 4.  Re: Cross site scripting

Posted Sep 08, 2014 03:21 AM

Hi All,

I have added 'BadURLChars' as well, and then its started working. Siteminder is blocking the request.

Yes Ujwol, I have tried to add the above parameter in ACO and then it worked.

• 5.  Re: Cross site scripting

Posted Sep 09, 2014 06:52 AM

Hi Ujwol/Josh,

I'm facing an issue in my QA environment, I have added similar config but still I'm facing an issue.

I guess, something is overwriting or it is ignored when we add the characters into the SAML request.

The payload I'm inserting is "548fc"-alert(XSS)-"1ht19" and in the request it coming as "548fc-"-alert(XSS)--"1ht19", a hyphen extra before the quotes (").

Can you please assist here?

• 6.  Re: Cross site scripting

Posted Sep 09, 2014 07:42 AM

legacyencoding

what is your setting? yes or no?

have you tried flipping that?

• 7.  Re: Cross site scripting

Posted Sep 10, 2014 02:10 AM

Hi Josh,

It was commented before and I have enabled the parameter to Yes and then it started blocking any modified SAML requests.

Thank you .