Clarity

• 1.  Migration Challenges for CA Clarity v13.3

Posted Sep 05, 2014 05:52 AM

Hi All,

Currently we are having two instances of CA Clarity, both on 12.1.3. We are going to merge both instance in 13.3.

For one Instance we have Oracle as a database while for other we have a SQL server as a DB. For 13.3 we will be having Oracle as a  Database.

Is there any document which has details of database components with respect to Oracle DB?  What kind of changes and challenges will be there in DB Migration?

Any Document will be helpful.

Thanks in Advance.

Warm Regards,

Angad Anand

• 2.  Re: Migration Challenges for CA Clarity v13.3

Posted Sep 08, 2014 04:03 AM

If you are thinking of database level migration from MS SQL to Oracle IMHO in your dreams pal, just forget it.

You options are

- manual entry (only what can be entered)

- XOGing (what can be XOGed)

- data migration tools from CA or partners

All of the data cannot be migrated from one system to another while in version upgrade most of the data is (with the exceptions like portfolios etc:9

This has been asked before. Search the discussions.

• 3.  Re: Migration Challenges for CA Clarity v13.3

Posted Sep 08, 2014 08:01 AM

Hello Urmas,

Thanks for the reply.

I am new to the Migration activity so I am collecting the details for area of concerns. If possible could you please highlight the areas which will be more challenging when we are merging two environments into single environment. Yes, you are correct that Manual Entry and XOG will be used for Data Migration but I don't have much update on Data Migration tools, if possible please share the pros and cons.

I have searched the discussion in community related to this topic but I am fail to get that. Could you please provide me link for those discussion.

Thanks in Advance.

Warm Regards,

Angad Anand

• 4.  Re: Migration Challenges for CA Clarity v13.3

Posted Sep 08, 2014 01:46 PM

First of all the community code states you should not promote commercial third party tools. So you have to look elsewhere for them

There is something in the CA tool at

Data Migration Utility by CA Services Global Delivery | LinkedIn

my understanding is that the pricing generally is such the you need to do more than one migraton for the cost and learning period covered.

Project, users, resources, OBS's and such go in fairly easy.. When you get to timeperiods, timesheet, timeentries, costplans custom object it start to get complicated.

If are not confident with that. hire an  expert.

If you are not happy with that start practicing  all kinds of XOGing.

The sample files are there.

Develop you searching skills to find specialized topics on this community..

• 5.  Re: Migration Challenges for CA Clarity v13.3

Posted Sep 09, 2014 01:53 AM

Thanks for the Update Urmas.

I will take care of all the things mentioned above.

Warm Regards,

Angad anand