DX NetOps

Expand all | Collapse all

Tech Tip: How to check the total number of traps that have been received by a device since the last SpectroSERVER restart

• 1.  Tech Tip: How to check the total number of traps that have been received by a device since the last SpectroSERVER restart

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 05, 2014 10:39 AM

Tech Tip: How to check the total number of traps that have been received by a device since the last SpectroSERVER restart

CA Spectrum Tech Tip by Bill Wolforth, Senior Support Engineer, September 5,2014

How to check the total number of traps that have been received by a device since the last SpectroSERVER restart

Description:

To see the number of traps received by a device sincethe last SpectroSERVER restart you can view the attribute:

DeviceTrapsReceived ( 0x12a80 )

The counter is reset every time the SpectroSERVER is restarted

• 2.  Re: Tech Tip: How to check the total number of traps that have been received by a device since the last SpectroSERVER restart

Posted Sep 10, 2014 01:24 PM

We have found this to not be very accurate. I'm not sure if this is because we use Trap Director. I don't know if this refers to traps coming in to spectrum on udp port 162 only or if it is meant to also be incremented if the trap comes in as an event (i.e.. trap director gets the trap and then converts the trap to an event and then forwarded to the correct landscape).

We actually used this for a long time, before realising that it doesn't always increment, even though you see the trap come in (looking at the events).

Are there any conditions related to when this will increment or not? We have a painful workaround but if this is meant to work, we might need to raise a ticket with CA.

Thanks,

Frank