Harvest

Tuesday Tip: When you have 64-bit Oracle Server on your Unix/Linux machine

• 1.  Tuesday Tip: When you have 64-bit Oracle Server on your Unix/Linux machine

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 16, 2014 01:51 PM

If you're installing your SCM Server component (broker and hservers) to a Unix/Linux machine that also has the 64-bit Oracle server (database) software installed, SCM cannot connect directly to your database since it's a 32-bit application.  What you can do is install the 32-bit Oracle client software and let SCM use that to connect to your 64-bit Oracle database instead.  Here's how:

• Install the 32-bit Oracle client on the Unix/Linux computer in a separate directory.  On my machine I installed my 64-bit Oracle server to /app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1, and my 32-bit Oracle client to /app/oracle/product/11.2.0/client_1.  They can be on the same machine, but they must be in separate folders.  At the end of the client install, if it requests that you run the root.sh script, do not do that. You do not want to override the settings made by your Oracle server.
      Copy the tnsnames.ora file from your Oracle server’s network/admin folder to the Oracle client’s network/admin folder.  For example:

cp /app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin/tnsnames.ora /app/oracle/product/11.2.0/client_1/network/admin

• Check to make sure that the tnsnames.ora file in the client’s network/admin folder is world-readable:

chmod a+r /app/oracle/product/11.2.0/client_1/network/admin/tnsnames.ora

• Edit your /home/cascm/.bash_profile and change the ORACLE_HOME variable to point to the 32-bit client instead of the 64-bit server.
    • Login to Linux as the cascm user or “su” to the cascm user and try to login through SQL Plus to make sure you can connect.

sqlplus <userid>@<service>/<password>

where:
          <userid> is the Harvest database schema owner userid
          <service> is the tns service name found in the tnsnames.ora file
          <password> is the Harvest schema owner password
    example: sqlplus harvest@orcl/harvest

After this, hdbsetup should be able to create your database and ODBC connection with no problems.