CA Service Management

• 1.  Does anyone use SMS functionality from CA Service Desk Manager?

Posted Sep 17, 2014 08:47 AM

Hi,

I understand the CA Service Desk Manager does not have SMS functionality but can someone let me know or show us some light on how we can set it up? Do we have any third party adapters?

Regards,

Hemant

• 2.  Re: Does anyone use SMS functionality from CA Service Desk Manager?

Posted Sep 17, 2014 11:26 AM

I am assuming you mean text message notifications? There is a company called xMatters which offer enhanced notification processing out of CA SDM (including SMS but also phone / voice messaging and more). www.xmatters.com

Alot of SMS providers will offer an email interface to send SMS messages. It might be possible to use that to send notifications using email to send SMS messages. You could also write a custom notification method script to do this.

• 3.  Re: Does anyone use SMS functionality from CA Service Desk Manager?

Posted Sep 17, 2014 12:30 PM

A common method is to send notifications to an e-mail system (MS Exchange) and then use an SMS plugin to MS Exchange to then send out SMS text messages.

You would need a notification method that uses email but which send notifications in a fixed format that MS Exchange knows to send out as SMS messages.

In the olden days (which means anything over 5 years ago ) it was possible to attach a Modem to your SD primary server and call software that came with the modem to send SMS messages via the Modem. I can't see that anyone would do it that way any more.

Carey