DX Application Performance Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Haruhiko Davis

Haruhiko DavisSep 17, 2014 11:37 AMBest Answer

Haruhiko Davis

Haruhiko DavisOct 01, 2014 10:11 AM

• 1.  Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Sep 17, 2014 11:19 AM

Hi CA APM Team,

Is there an agent we can install in a server to measure the memory,disk and cpu usage?

Thanks in advance.

Arwin

• 2.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 17, 2014 11:37 AM
    Yes you can use EPAgent or the PerfMon agent for Windows servers.

• 3.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Sep 17, 2014 11:47 AM

Hi Haruhiko,

Is this the name of the agent?

IntroscopeStandaloneAgentPPInstaller9.5.0.0windows

Thanks,

Arwin

• 4.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 17, 2014 12:03 PM

You can use the Standalone PP to install EPA, or the individual EPA package available on CSO.

In both cases, it does not come with Tanuki Java wrapper to run it as a Windows service. You can download a free copy from the Tanuki Software's website.

• 5.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Sep 29, 2014 07:36 AM

Hi Haruhiko,

Good day!

Did you mean here that there is no Window Service included in running the EPA agent ?

Thanks,

Arwin

• 6.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 29, 2014 03:30 PM

Yes that is correct.

You will also be responsible for installing a compatible JRE for EPA to use.

• 7.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 29, 2014 03:31 PM

Do a search on the community; I posted about this a while ago about how to setup EPA on Windows.

• 8.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Sep 30, 2014 03:53 PM

Hi there,

If you haven't done so, please check out the youtube video about installing/configuring EPAgent. An example in the video to setup a Windows diskStats.pl plugin I think will help you better understand how to go about using EPAgent.

CA APM r9.5: Configuring and Using EP Agent - YouTube

Good luck.

Regards,

James.

• 9.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Oct 01, 2014 09:46 AM

Hi All,

I encountered an error while running the EPA agent..

[EPAgent.EPAgent DISK] Error starting plugin process: Cannot run program "perl": CreateProcess error=2, The system cannot find the file specified

Please let me know what to do

Thanks,

Arwin

• 10.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 10:11 AM
    Is Perl installed on the server?

• 11.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Oct 01, 2014 10:36 AM

Hi Hiko,

Is the reason why this happening is there is no PERL in the server?

Is that a pre re quisite for monitoring the performance of Windows Server?

Thanks,

Arwin

• 12.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 10:40 AM

That's because the plug-in you're running is a Perl program (.PL).

If you read the EPA guide, it states that you will need to have Perl 5.6 or higher installed to use the default plug-ins.

If you want to use a different language, you will have to write your own plug-ins for EPA to use. EPA does not care what language you use, just that it can be called by the plug-in.

-Hiko

• 13.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Oct 01, 2014 10:46 AM

Hi Hiko,

i need to installed that Perl? in what PL script can i have the CPU and Memory Usage of the server?

Thanks,

Arwin

• 14.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 10:53 AM

There is not OOTB Perl program that does all of those things.

You will need to use multiple plug-ins (which is acceptable) or write your own that all of them at once.

CA does not provide a plug-in for Windows other than disk and process monitoring. If installing Perl on your Windows server is not an option, consider using VBScript or PowerShell. In both cases, you will need to write your own.

I don't know how much time I have to help write something, but it's fairly easy task using either language. the biggest thing is getting the output to a format readable by EPA. I would recommend using the XML format for the output since it gives the most flexibility. All of this is documented on the guide.

• 15.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:01 AM

Hi Hiko,

Apologies for asking those questions as im not that good in programming

If thats the case we need to install the PERL script to be able to run EPAGent.

I will look in the internet if there is any code that i can reuse to fits what ever i need to do,

But i just want to say thank you for your support.

Thanks,

Arwin

• 16.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:09 AM

If you can install Perl, I recommend Strawberry Perl.

Perl is an interpreted language so it needs to be compiled before executing.

Let me recheck my plug-ins directory to see if I have any other ones written for Windows.

• 17.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:12 AM

I have another question for you: are you running Java on Windows or .NET?

If you're running .NET, this agent comes with PerfMonCollectorAgent which can get all of the metrics you need for what you're asking. You could just install the PerfMon agent on its own following the directions in the .NET agent guide for manual installation.

• 18.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:19 AM

Hi Hiko,

Below java is installed in the server. Can i used the java agent?

J2SE
      Development Kit 5.0 Update 22 1.5.0.220
    Java Auto Updater 2.0.2.4
    Java Auto Updater 2.0.4.1
    Java DB 10.5.3.0 10.5.3.0
    Java(TM) 6 Update 21 (64-bit)
    Java(TM) 6 Update 21 6.0.210
    Java(TM) 6 Update 23 (64-bit)
    Java(TM) 6 Update 23 6.0.230
    Java(TM) 6 Update 25 6.0.250
    Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6
      Update 23 1.6.0.230

Java(TM) SE Development Kit 6
      Update 25 1.6.0.250

Thanks,

Arwin

• 19.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:51 AM

You cannot use the Java agent to retrieve metrics. You can, however, use Java to write a plug-in for EPA.

• 20.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:53 AM

Hi Davis,

Thanks for the advice but as i said im not good in programming i dont know how to create one.

If you have a scratch item there, i can learn from it.

Thanks,

Arwin

• 21.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Oct 01, 2014 11:55 AM

Hi Hiko,

If a server has a .NET framework does it mean that .NET agent is good to used in that server?

Thanks,

Arwin

• 22.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 01, 2014 05:58 PM

You only need to install the .NET to monitor .NET applications on IIS or standalone.

You can manually install the PerfMonCollectorAgent without having to install the .NET agent portion. Please read the guide on how to install the agent.

• 23.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Posted Oct 07, 2014 07:04 AM

Hi Hiko,

I installed the PERL strawberry in my server. vmstat.pl is the script to measure the CPU utilization?

Thanks,

Arwin

• 24.  Re: Is there an  Introscope agent for measuring the CPU, MEMORY AND DISK usage of a server?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Oct 08, 2014 05:25 PM
    That program will not work on Windows servers. You can use the OOTB disk & process monitor, and HTTP availability plug-ins. You can find them in <pea_home>\epaplugins\windows.