Clarity

• 1.  Actuals from Timesheets only! NO Slices

Posted Oct 03, 2014 10:36 AM

We have a requirement to get Actual Data from 2011, obviously our timesheet slices don't go that far.The requirement is to get the hours put in by each resource on each project/Incident or indirect row.

Is there a table that detail timesheet records itemized by project/incident etc.?

• 2.  Re: Actuals from Timesheets only! NO Slices
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 03, 2014 11:14 AM

What version are you on- ?  I ask because there may be are some OOTB reports and portlets that might help. We had the same thing --with  2011 to present. I had to do it per project using the Actuals by transaction type on each project; however I believe some of the OOTB time reports gives that data , but would need to verify (we don't use it, we use a custom version). This assumes you have the PMO accelerator and Content package installed. 

I had to use the portlet because it reads from WIP,  If  you do wip adjustments , remember timesheets are not updated, so you can't just pull from timesheet data. It is probably best to always use wip anyway (posted timesheet data ends up there) The transaction date in WIP is the date of the entry.  I'll save the actual query for the query experts.   Are you SQL or Oracle (that might impact how the query is written).

• 3.  Re: Actuals from Timesheets only! NO Slices

Posted Oct 03, 2014 11:20 AM

As long as you don't want the DAILY figures, then the data can be found on the PRTIMEENTRY record held in seconds in the PRACTSUM field.

(so the lowest level of granularity that is held is per time period)

• 4.  Re: Actuals from Timesheets only! NO Slices

Posted Oct 03, 2014 02:00 PM

If you want data a daily granularity and don't have data in WIP  you could always define a new DAILYRESOURCEACTCURVE for the time frame you need and delete it afterwards. That can bring a lot of records if you want all data from 2011 on, but you can calculate an estimate if you know the number projects and resources and put an estimate on the number of assignments per project..

If you are running datamart you could check how far NBI_PRT_FACTS goes.

• 5.  Re: Actuals from Timesheets only! NO Slices

Posted Oct 03, 2014 02:07 PM

Thank you!

There are Clarity OOTB restrictions on the number of days/periods it can go back to defining (redefining) these slices.

The latest fact_date I have in NBI_PRT_FACTS is 03/01/2013, so that doesnt help either.

I am wondering how it is possible to view the data from timesheets back from beginning...(2011 in our case). Would anyone know where this data is stored and how it can be captured via SQL query?

• 6.  Re: Actuals from Timesheets only! NO Slices

Posted Oct 03, 2014 02:29 PM

What type of restrictions are you talking about and where from did you learn about the.

No problem defining them

If you want to look at the time entries Dave already poste4d that

the PRTIMEENTRY record held in seconds in the PRACTSUM field.

will give the timeentry actuals but per timeperiod not a daily level.

• 7.  Re: Actuals from Timesheets only! NO Slices

Posted Oct 06, 2014 10:17 AM

Thank you!!!

You are correct! I can define new slices. I am talking about the restrictions on out of the box range that can be defined.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I'd rather avoid adding millions of new rows to the slice tables and prefer (if possible) to

1. Extend the range on OOTB slice curves, so we can utilize the TSVs on various portlets.

2. Utilize whatever slice (assuming the sliced data is already available in some tables, cant figure out..which ones exactly) the timesheet uses to display. Pls note that we all can see old timesheets exactly the way they are in posted state, classified by Project Tasks, Incidents and Indirect hours.

• 8.  Re: Actuals from Timesheets only! NO Slices

Posted Oct 06, 2014 10:29 AM

Have you consider looking at the Actual hours posted to the Projects/NPIO instances for the time periods in question as an alternative to using the Timesheet tables?

• 9.  Re: Actuals from Timesheets only! NO Slices

Posted Oct 06, 2014 01:29 PM

Well well well, this can of slices is getting bigger and bigger with no end to it.

If you want daily level data which is stored blobs you need slices, that is millions of records if you time frame and number objects so determine. It does not make any difference in that respect if the slices are custom defined or OOTB.

I suggested custom slice for 2011, because I got the impression you do not want data from 2011 to the current date, but some part of that on the early end.

Careful now when you say TSV. If you have what is normally called TSV attributes they create new slice definitions and records. Even though (assignment) actuals are time varying they are not normally referred as TSV (where I come from)

There are a number of views and portlets which can display eg project actuals, ETC and other in timescaled views. They use also slices, but system slices and they definitely do not go back to 2011.

If you do not want slices and want data that goes back to 2011 you need something like third party "Time Slicer", but the community code of ethics prevents promoting commercial third party products.

Please educate me

"I am talking about the restrictions on out of the box range that can be defined"

I still do not know what you are referring to. Have not yet come across restrictions for the OOTB slices either.