Plex 2E

• 1.  Tuesday Tip: 2E Toolkit Library List commands

Posted Oct 06, 2014 09:54 AM

The facilities in 2E Toolkit to store and manipulate library lists are excellent but I think some are little known and yet incredibly useful.

You will be familiar with YWRKLIBLST to work with all your library lists with its various options to call other commands:

2              Edit                                      YEDTLIBLST or L

3              Copy                                    YCPYLIBLST

4              Delete                                 YDLTLIBLST

5              Display                                YDSPLIBLST

6              Print                                     YDOCLIBLST

7              Rename                               YRNMLIBLST

9              Replace                               YCHGLIBL or R

13           Change description              YCHGLIBLST

And not forgetting YBLDLIBLST to create a library list initially.

A stored interactive library list can only have one batch job description associated with it. But what about updating other JOBDs also used with this model? We have an excellent command for that as well: YCHGJOBDLL, to update the JOBD’s library list from a stored library list.

When Support supplies a Test PTF to a client, there can often be that plaintive complaint: oh no, now I’ve got to update all my library lists to add in this library!

Yes that’s true but it doesn’t have to be painful since you have the library list entry commands:  YADDLLE, YRMVLLE and YRNMLLE.

Let’s assume you have library lists for your models using 2E 8.6 with Cumulative PTF C like this: …genlib mdllib Y1860CC Y1SY Y2860CC Y2SY…

Now you want to update all the library lists to add in Test PTF Y2860C999, this is easily done:

YADDLLE LIB(Y2860C999) POSITION(*BEFORE Y2860CC) LIBLST(*ALL) to get: …genlib mdllib Y1860CC Y1SY Y2860C999 Y2860CC Y2SY…

A new Cumulative PTF D becomes available so you want to replace Y1860CC and Y2860CC with it:

YRNMLLE FROMLIB(Y1860CC) TOLIB(Y1860CD) LIBLST(*ALL)  

YRNMLLE FROMLIB(Y2860CC) TOLIB(Y2860CD) LIBLST(*ALL)  to get: …genlib mdllib Y1860CD Y1SY Y2860C999 Y2860CD Y2SY…

And of course remove the Test PTF Y2860C999 if this is part of the new cumulative:

YRMVLLE LIB(Y2860C999) LIBLST(*ALL) to get: …genlib mdllib Y1860CD Y1SY Y2860CD Y2SY…

• 2.  Re: Tuesday Tip: 2E Toolkit Library List commands

Posted Mar 20, 2015 08:24 AM

Thanks for this Steve - I'm hoping for some more tips when you get a chance.

Perhaps some tips on date & time manipulation would be useful. I've seen models with complex date handling programs which 2E could have handled with one line in the action diagram, e.g. converting one date format to another. I learnt the other day on this forum that I can use DB1.Date = JOB.*system timestamp to get the system date (as opposed to *job date which is not necessarily current).

For example, one problem I had recently was validating a date in an incoming EDI file - is there an easy way to do this in 2E? If there is I didn't find it.

Or perhaps other people would like to share their tips.

• 3.  Re: Tuesday Tip: 2E Toolkit Library List commands

Posted Mar 20, 2015 10:55 AM

Hello Robert,

Thanks for your comments: there's always something new to learn!

I suggest you start a new thread about Date Validation with some details of your external date in its incoming EDI file.

Was it a date stored as a number? What format? CYYMMDD?

Cheers,

Steve

• 4.  Re: Tuesday Tip: 2E Toolkit Library List commands

Posted Apr 20, 2015 05:12 AM

I just turned back to this tip, after running a parallel install upgrade, lots of places to go and check, and having this neatly encapsulated with a tiitle I could remember (well, google remembers, right?)

More of these would be good.

thanks again

Richard Wilson