Clarity

• 1.  Office Hours for CA PPM, November 20 @ 1 PM ET

Posted Nov 05, 2014 05:46 PM

Dear Community Member,

Have a question about CA Project and Portfolio Management? Connect with CA Technologies technical experts to get answers via Office Hours for CA PPM. Our team is here to help you get more out of your technology. Join us for one hour Thursday, November 20th @ 1 PM ET. NOTE - No audio is provided and all Q&A happens via online chat, making it a truly ‘fun’ event.

What type of questions should you ask?

• General Product Questions
    • Best practices
    • Commonly seen issues
    • Technical content and/or scenarios you want our technical information team to focus on.
    • Technical content and/or scenarios you would like our technical information team to NOT focus on.

What type of questions should you not ask?

• Please DO NOT discuss support cases – You will need to open a ticket instead
    • Please DO NOT discuss support of customizations

Click HERE: https://catechnologies.webex.com/catechnologies/j.php?MTID=mdc4bfa031cce4b5f624090ac1a49704f  to register, add to calendar and join the day of.

*Please note that there is no audio. This is for you to submit your questions only and our experts will respond using WebEx.

• 2.  Re: Office Hours for CA PPM, November 20 @ 1 PM ET

Posted Nov 25, 2014 05:46 PM

Miss last weeks Office hours for CA PPM (Clarity)? Check out the chat below and be sure to join us for the next one in December. Stay tuned for details!

Martti Kinnunen to Everyone:    Can we XOG timeperiods in and out and not just timesheets?

Martti Kinnunen to Everyone:    If that is possible is there a sample somewhere?

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Martti - yes! in CA PPM 14.1 this is available

Martti Kinnunen to Everyone:    @Kathryn Thanks is that the only version where it is possible?

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Martti - yes, and it is only a write action

Martti Kinnunen to Everyone:    @Kathryn May I quote that to other discussion boards?

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Martti - I would like to write up a Tuesday Tip for this so I will do more investigation to fully explain

Martti Kinnunen to Everyone:    @Kathryn That is just great. I'll be waiting for that

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Martti - I will also test on a v13.3 system to see if it was available on that version too

Aravind to Everyone:     Is there anything being done about the slowness in the MSP integration with Clarity.. we are on MSP 2013 and Clarity 13.3 and the project plan loading is really slow

Aravind to Everyone:     I know 14.2 has a new interface.. but what is being done for ppl on V13.3

Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone:            @Aravind, do you notice a generic slowness, or is MSP slow on specific, bigger, projects?

Aravind to Everyone:     @Nikka the slowness is for project plans having more than 400 rows

Aravind to Everyone:     Has anyone else been experiencing slowness with MSP 2013 with V13.3?

Liz Williamson (CA) to Everyone:               @Aravind - there are issues with slowness and baselines in MSP

Liz Williamson (CA) to Everyone:               @Avarind - if you have a specific problem please raise a case so we can identify the issue

Aravind to Everyone:     @Liz Is the issue more profound in MSP 2013 compared to MSP 2010?

Liz Williamson (CA) to Everyone:               @Avarind - We are not seeing any more performance type issues with 2013 vs 2010

Ramana Chinnapapannagari to Everyone:             Is it possible to edit a custom defined attribute in Action Item Details page when taking action on the action item?  I defined and added to the page. but it grayed out when the action item is opened

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Ramana - this sounds like a great idea!  Please post into the Communities CA PPM Idea board

Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone:                @Ramana - Ideas link: https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-clarity/content?filterID=contentstatus%5Bpublished%5D~objecttype~objecttype%5Bidea%5D

Ramana Chinnapapannagari to Everyone:             I will. Thx

Sanjay Koshti to Everyone:          When Timesheet going to be an "Object"?

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Sanjay, please vote for the idea and everyone on this chat can vote for it too at this link : https://communities.ca.com/ideas/103019287

Sanjay Koshti to Everyone:          @Nick, already voted few years back

Mark Morrow to Everyone:         Any idea when a future version of Clarity will be Oracle 12 compliant?  I am looking to let our DBA know, since we are planning out 2015.

Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone:            @Mark, this is something that is being considered but we do not have a precise ETA yet. Would you mind raising this as idea on the Ideation page? This will help for it be voted for, and implemented.

Chris Hackett (CA) to Everyone:                Check out the What you may have missed in the CA PPM (Clarity) Community! 11-19-14 (https://communities.ca.com/community/ca-clarity/blog/2014/11/19/what-you-may-have-missed-in-the-ca-ppm-clarity-community-11-19-2014) folks! It contains 6 presentations from CA World '14 as well as other great information.

Janet Ulrich to Everyone:             Has anyone migrated from Oracle to MS SQL Server for Clarity?

Nick Darlington (CA) to Everyone:            @Janet I am aware a couple of customers have migrated from MS SQL to Oracle but it's rare to want to go the other way - it may be something you can get more feedback on via the communities forum where you can ask more of the customers than are present here today

Janet Ulrich to Everyone:             @Nick Will do. We are getting nickeled and dimed by Oracle.

Nick Darlington (CA) to Everyone:            @Janet no problem - please note that for MS SQL you need to be looking at the Enterprise product and not Standard edition

Robert Gramley to Everyone:     I know there's a lot of documentation available for MSP configuration, but even following the guides I haven't managed to avoid date changes for tasks within a project. What are best practices when pulling a project out into MSP?

Janet Ulrich to Everyone:             @Robert Most of the date changes when pulling a project into MSP are from remaining work being rescheduled by MSP when time entry is not equal to or greater than the scheduled remaining work. Knowing that, and depending on the task type that you use, you can review the remaining work, talk with the resource to determine if they are late or estimated too high, adjust the remaining work and allow MSP to reschedule.

Robert Gramley to Everyone:     @Janet Thanks for the info, I'll look into that

Gauri Shirahatti to Everyone:      Whats the Purpose of Child Portfolios? Since it does not rollup the data at the parent level as in Investment Hierarchy the functionality seems to be of little value.

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Gauri - Please read the following technical article. http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec615513.aspx  the functionality was released with limited scope

Gauri Shirahatti to Everyone:      @Kathryn Thanks Kathryn.

Nei to Everyone:              Hello world! Portfolio Management... I running rules for priorization and now I´d like to see investment´s pontuation.

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Nei - Please clarify your question

Nei to Everyone:              I have 20 investments on a portfolio... have created rankinkg rules and now I have the investments order by some pontuation... I´d lie to see this pontuation.

Nei to Everyone:              I mean, in the waterline tab.

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Nei - please visit this Tuesday Tip: https://communities.ca.com/message/241712675 CA Clarity Tuesday Tip : Ever wondered how are investments ranked in a portfolio , if there are no ranking rules defined ?

Nei to Everyone:              Hum.. I have ranking rules defined.

Nei to Everyone:              I´d like to check what pontuation was defined to investments.

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Nei - what is this word - pontuation ?

Nei to Everyone:              value.

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Nei - you mean the ranking value or score? Look at the Tuesday Tip, this explains how the value is computed

Nei to Everyone:              The TIP is about no ranking rules defined... but I have a ranking rule, with 4 attributes, Attribute Weighting, Lookup Weighting, now I´d like to see how many points for each investment.

Kathryn Ellis (CA) to Everyone:   @Nei - I understand what you are now asking. There is much detail on how this is computed.  I will review the details I have an add it to the existing Tuesday Tip Topic. Please bookmark or like that posting and look for an update on the thread

Nei to Everyone:              Thakns Kathryn!

Steven Yamashiro to Everyone: we are having problems with Audit Trail not always tracking Insert, Updates and Deletes.  What can be done so this doesn't happen also is there a way to monitor if the Audit is working properly so we can be proactive.

Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone:            @Steven, there are few known issues with Audit Trail, please could you let us know what is your exact Clarity version?

Steven Yamashiro to Everyone: 13.2

Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone:            @Steven, it looks like some issues were solved in 13.3 and 14.1. If Audit Trail does not log the entry, there is no other way to get the information. I would encourage you to make sure you are on latest release; and to raise a Support issue with the exact occurrence, so we can confirm whether you are hitting a known defect, and when it is going to be addressed.

George+Robertson to Everyone:              Hi.. I have some questions around OBS limitations.  We need to build a manager hierarchy from the top down to the lowest level in the organization and associate it to each resource as this capability does not exist within the tool today.  To achieve this requirement, we are planning to build a dynamic resource hierarchical OBS that would be updated by a job each week.

We have a few questions/concerns as below especially on performance side.

1) There could be 20K nodes in this OBS; can this cause a performance issue across the system? i.e. The display of Resource page or any other pages could be affected due to this OBS?

2) This new OBS will be assigned to each resource in the system and we have huge number of resources, approx. 60-75K total, therefore, the PRJ_OBS_ASSOCIATIONS table would grow too. There are currently about 250K records in this table, so we could see this easily going up to 400K.  Could this be a problem?  

3) Would there be an Impact on Datamart job?

Liz Williamson (CA) to Everyone:               @George - there can be a possible impact.  We recommend that you test this in a non production environment first

George+Robertson to Everyone:              Hi Liz - We plan to do so.  We're just trying to understand upfront of there are any known issues/limitations so that we don't find out after the fact once we've built the solution and are in the middle of testing.

Steven Yamashiro to Everyone: Are there any plans to make a field required or not required depending on the value of another field?

Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone:            @Steven, for the moment I am not aware of plans to make this required/not required options. Please make sure you create this as Idea on our Ideation page, so Product management could evaluate it and implement.

Steven Yamashiro to Everyone: Has anyone experienced processes not triggering even when the start option criteria been met?

Nika Hadzhikidi (CA) to Everyone:            @Steven, if you have issues with Process not triggering, please make sure that the users that kick off the process, have the actual right to start the process. This is the most common reason for this to happen. If this is done, and issue persists, please raise a case with us in Support.

Sanjay Koshti to Everyone:          Any plans to have Process available on Resource?

Nick Darlington (CA) to Everyone:            @Sanjay please go to the Resource object in Studio and select the Event Enabled checkbox; from this you should be able to create processes with Resource as the primary object