Clarity

• 1.  Adding a custom object in the Menu Manager (Application Menu)

Posted Nov 06, 2014 10:47 AM

I am asked for a Page Name and Parent Menu Item.  Unsure where I configure those so my custom object populates the Application Menu.  Ideas to point me in the right direction?  Thanks in advance.

• 2.  Re: Adding a custom object in the Menu Manager (Application Menu)

Posted Nov 06, 2014 10:50 AM

Hello,

Did you try Administration -> Menu Manager?

Regards

• 3.  Re: Adding a custom object in the Menu Manager (Application Menu)

Posted Nov 06, 2014 11:02 AM

Thanks for your reply, this is really holding me up at the moment.  My goal is to complete the last step of 'How to Create a Custom Object'

Add a Menu Page Link for the Object

Yes, I go to Administration > Menu Manager > Application Menu > Add > Type: Page Link > Next, then I am asked for the following:

Link Name - Defines the label for the page link that appears in the menu

Description - Description

Page Name - Specifies the page that appears when the link is clicked. ??

Parent Menu Item - Specifies the menu section in which the lin appears. ??

How do I find my object from Page Name and Parent Menu Item?  It seems I am missing a step here, but not found in the support guidelines.

Thoughts?

-JR

• 4.  Re: Adding a custom object in the Menu Manager (Application Menu)

Posted Nov 06, 2014 11:40 AM

Updated, I thought it would be good to create a Portlet Page which seems to be the missing step I was looking for.  Now I am asked for the following:

* Page Name

* Page ID

* Content Source > Here I plugged in 'Customer' which gave me another field to populate:

* Type > I found my custom object in this list

* Layout > not sure, will have to test to see what works best

* Personalizable > Yes

Save and Return

Now if I go back into my new page > Link Parameters, I can create a new Parameter Name and Parameter ID which says will be used in the URL when calling this page... so I am almost there, because now I can point to this Link Parameter back in the Menu Manager... More to come as I get to the bottom of this

• 5.  Re: Adding a custom object in the Menu Manager (Application Menu)

Posted Nov 06, 2014 01:00 PM

Just wondering....

The list views of the custom objects are automatically added to the Application menu

I take it you not trying to manually to get them there, but trying to something else.

• 6.  Re: Adding a custom object in the Menu Manager (Application Menu)

Posted Nov 07, 2014 05:56 PM

I think there are several layers of issues for me here.  I was expecting my custom object to auto-populate in the application view, but that did not happen.  There may be some security rights issues, or a few other environmental factors that I am checking into.  I will eventually update this string with my final resolve for shared lessons, but I have had to abandon my proof of concept and refocus with another higher priority for the time being.

Thanks again for listening!  BRB

• 7.  Re: Adding a custom object in the Menu Manager (Application Menu)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 10, 2014 10:57 AM

Hi JR:

The following example shows the menu item MyLink in the Clarity UI. This example was derived from the steps in the topic Add a Menu Page Link for the Object in the Studio Developer Guide. The steps are valid for CA Clarity PPM 13.1 as referenced here and continue to work in CA Clarity PPM 13.3, 14.1, and I just verified on a future build for CA PPM 14.2.

1. Our example assumes you created a custom object/attribute and, for our example, let's say you wanted to see a new metric on the Portfolio Cost and Health bubble chart. In this example, we granted liberal access rights at the resource, group, and OBS levels. You will need to experiment here for your needs.
    2. The Link Name is the name of the link in the main menu.
    3. The Page Name is the target destination. In this example, when users click MyLink we want to show the Cost and Health portlet and the new custom bubble chart. Or you can create a new portlet or page for your custom object and specify that page here.
    4. The Parent Menu Item is the source where you want the MyLink menu to appear. In this example, we selected Earned Value Management in the Administration menu.

STUDIO-MENU-LINK-TO-PAGE.png

Hope this helps! It sounds like you are on the right track from the remainder of the post.

Kind Regards,

Damon

• 8.  Re: Adding a custom object in the Menu Manager (Application Menu)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 10, 2014 11:01 AM

Also, you will need to log out and log back in again for your changes to appear in the main menu.

• 9.  Re: Adding a custom object in the Menu Manager (Application Menu)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 11, 2014 08:42 AM

Updates:

1. Under the Home menu, you may have to click Next to view all sections of the menu. Click Previous/Next as shown below.
    2. Instead of logging out/in, click Refresh as shown below.

next_refresh.png

• 10.  Re: Adding a custom object in the Menu Manager (Application Menu)

Posted Nov 12, 2014 01:31 PM

Ahh ha!  My issue was lack of sufficient security access and creating a new portlet page for the object.  Then I had to log out and back in again to see my updates.  Damon and all of you who added to this string, thank you kindly!  There were a few gaps in the guides I was using.  I really appreciate the visuals as well, and will certainly do my best to answer other posts to return the favors.  -JR