Symantec Access Management

• 1.  Customizing Tomcat Error Pages with Transaction ID in SPS-12.52

Posted Dec 02, 2014 01:30 PM

Hi Everyone,

I think this will the basic requirement for any deployment. In my setup i want to show up my own Custom ERROR page with the TRANSACTION ID on it.

In a federation transaction whenever we face user not found or invalid Assertion while processing the assertion SPS throws a default Tomcat Error page with transaction id on it.

Is there any way to modify this page? Anyone have any idea on this?

Hello Ujwolbrettcarroll,

Do you have any idea on this requirement?

• 2.  Re: Customizing Tomcat Error Pages with Transaction ID in SPS-12.52

Posted Dec 05, 2014 02:05 PM

I have never attempted to do this.  I know this may not answer your question but the transactionID can be gathered from the logs -  Log Files that Aid Troubleshooting - CA SiteMinder® - 12.52 SP1 - CA Wiki

I am pretty sure you are wanting to display the error with transaction ID in order to quickly reference it in the logs.

Debug the response coming back to see what is provided and can be parsed.  Possibly  the transactionID can be stored in the session store and passed as a header response back to be used?

• 3.  Re: Customizing Tomcat Error Pages with Transaction ID in SPS-12.52

Posted Dec 06, 2014 01:23 AM

Hi Jack,

Thanks for your inputs,

I am acting as a SP in my federation Setup.

If suppose an assertion comes with invalid signature or user not found occurs at the SP side then before creating the Session itself federation transaction will fail. In this case how transaction id will be stored in the session store?

Actually I want to display my own Error Page with Transaction ID instead of the default Tomcat Error Page.

Is there any possibility of doing this?CA Security

• 4.  Re: Customizing Tomcat Error Pages with Transaction ID in SPS-12.52

Posted Dec 12, 2014 11:49 AM

Hi Venga,

There is a parameter in the SPS configuration that allows you to put in a custom class to show the error pages. By default it points to a CA class, but it is possible to change it and use your own class.

I am not sure if that would impact the support contract though, so you may want to confirm that with CA support before changing. I do know that it is possible to change the class and get your custom page, just not sure of the support impact.

Thanks

• 5.  Re: Customizing Tomcat Error Pages with Transaction ID in SPS-12.52

Posted Dec 12, 2014 01:50 PM

Hey Avijit

It sounds good. Can you please let me know the procedures, where to change and which params to change? I will confirm the with CA for Support.

One more thing. Is it possible to get the Current Transaction ID by using that class?

• 6.  Re: Customizing Tomcat Error Pages with Transaction ID in SPS-12.52

Posted Jan 04, 2015 12:03 PM

Hi All,

Anyone have idea on this?

• 7.  Re: Customizing Tomcat Error Pages with Transaction ID in SPS-12.52

Posted Jan 05, 2015 09:49 PM

Hi,

The tomcat error page is a static page and is not possible to print out the transaction id from out of the box setting. For troubleshooting on the federation issue, the best practise is to review the federation trace log, policy server trace log for the transaction id information. It will be handy if this printed out in tomcat error page but this is not possible at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Kar Meng

• 8.  Re: Customizing Tomcat Error Pages with Transaction ID in SPS-12.52

Posted Jan 07, 2015 02:49 PM

Hello Venga

Does this not suffice your requirement?

Configure the Custom Error Messages Settings - CA SiteMinder® - 12.52 SP1 - CA Wiki

Regards

Hubert

• 9.  Re: Customizing Tomcat Error Pages with Transaction ID in SPS-12.52

Posted Jan 09, 2015 02:15 AM

Hi HubertDennis,

The link which you have mentioned contains how to use the custom error pages in SPS.

But My requirement is to fetch the Transaction ID in the Error page. basically whenever a federation transaction fails, SPS displays a Tomcat Error page with current Transaction ID. Similarly I would like to do display the Transaction ID in my own Error Page. Do you have any thoughts? please share with me.

• 10.  Re: Customizing Tomcat Error Pages with Transaction ID in SPS-12.52

Posted Apr 03, 2015 05:12 PM

Have you tried accessing the SM_TRANSACTIONID HTTP_Header in your error page?